My Next Beer: Ewalds Weissbier (AG)
  • jlwjlw

I am changing two things on this beer even though I would consider it a trusted recipe:

1. Yeast, I am trying WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast Former Yeast Lab W51 yeast strain, acquired from Dan McConnell. The description originally used by Yeast Lab still fits: "This strain produces a classic German-style wheat beer, with moderately high, spicy, phenolic overtones reminiscent of cloves."

2. I think I am going to switch to a decoction mash. I am thinking a single should be sufficient? Any thoughts here?

Recipe: Ewalds Weissbier
    Brewer:
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Weizen/Weissbier
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 6.93 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
    Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 12.0 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.8 %
    5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 47.6 %
    5 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 47.6 %
    0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 8.0 IBUs
    0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 5 4.0 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast 6 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.0 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.57gal, 3.59gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • C_BC_B
    Oh buddy. That is exactly what I'm looking for for summer. That looks yummy. And the decoction mash intrigues me. Have you ever made this recipe without the two changes?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw

Oh buddy. That is exactly what I'm looking for for summer. That looks yummy. And the decoction mash intrigues me. Have you ever made this recipe without the two changes?

Yes. I made it twice last summer and both times it was fantastic. No joke grain to glass in three weeks. Fermentation for 10 days, bottle and drinking 5 to 7 days later.

When I put this recipe together I wanted to stay true to German Weissbier's
  • jlwjlw
    If you want more banana go with this yeast strain:

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
    This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.

I wanted to try a different version this time. So I am trying this strain to get a little more clove.

Also, if you go with WLP300 the warmer you ferment the more banana you will get. The lower the ferm temp the more muted the banana will be. I am for 66* to 68* to mute the banana just a wee bit. If you want banana ferment around 72* to 75*
  • C_BC_B
    I've used WLP300 for an extract hefe before. I liked it in that anyway. 3 weeks? That pretty darn good.
  • jlwjlw

I've used WLP300 for an extract hefe before. I liked it in that anyway. 3 weeks? That pretty darn good.

Drank fresh is best with this beer.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Drank fresh is best with this beer.

I can handle that.
  • C_BC_B
    What do you think about WLP320? It has slightly lower attenuation but I have it in the fridge.
  • C_BC_B
    I could stick with the 300, I need some of that in the bank anyway. It'll make it a tab bit more authentic. Not that I've ever worried about that...
  • jlwjlw
    The American Hefe:

WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
    This yeast is used to produce the Oregon style American Hefeweizen. Unlike WLP300, this yeast produces a very slight amount of the banana and clove notes. It produces some sulfur, but is otherwise a clean fermenting yeast, which does not flocculate well, producing a cloudy beer.

I think it would be ok. You'll get less of the banana or clove or both. I would say it's a taste and cost preference since you have it on hand.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

The American Hefe:

WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
    This yeast is used to produce the Oregon style American Hefeweizen. Unlike WLP300, this yeast produces a very slight amount of the banana and clove notes. It produces some sulfur, but is otherwise a clean fermenting yeast, which does not flocculate well, producing a cloudy beer.

I think it would be ok. You'll get less of the banana or clove or both. I would say it's a taste and cost preference since you have it on hand.

I like the banana and clove notes. Mostly the banana. However, I have it on hand. I'll leave it up to the brew-gods.