I want to make upgrades to my brewery what should I do?
  • jlwjlw
    I have:
    10 gallon stainless BK complete with spigot
    10 gallon igloo water cooler with SS false bottom
    20 ft IC
    several 5 gallon glass carboy
    4 Fermenting buckets
    Ferm wrap with Ranco temp controler and thermowell
    What would you add to the brewery to make better beer or make the brewing process easier?

I've thought about a March pump, plate chiller, false bottom for BK, upgrading to larger BK to make bigger batches.

Thoughts?

Lothos
  • ThymThym
    I feel that anything you can do to improve ferm temp consistency is going to yield the biggest roi in terms of product quality. Otherwise the ability to brew bigger batches is great.. it lowers the cost per batch and allows you to fill the pipeline with less work.

Lothos
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i would upgrade the boil kettle so you can do ten gallon batches. assuming you have a temp controlled ferm chamber, that is.

Lothos
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw

i would upgrade the boil kettle so you can do ten gallon batches. assuming you have a temp controlled ferm chamber, that is.

I don't have a ferm chamber per-say I am using my kegerator for that for now. Although that isn't ideal as I'm learning.

Lothos
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Temp control and yeast propogation are the most important things to upgrade, IMO. Besides, stir plates are cool!

ThymLothos

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• C_BC_B
    CurlyFat said:

Temp control and yeast propogation are the most important things to upgrade, IMO. Besides, stir plates are cool!

I always have fun with food coloring and the water tornado on my stir plate before actual adult use.

Lothos
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I'm going to recommend getting a few really good thermometers, not that I have any, but I wish I did. Maybe you're already happy with what you have for that... A good chiller would be nice... Second 10gal mash tun would be cool.... having a sack of Marris Otter on hand is nice too.

Lothos
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    I've been thinking about building a fermentation chamber for my beer closet. Well, really I would like to turn it into a walk in cooler

Secondly, maybe going to a plate chiller and a pump for transfer. Then when I am ready to upgrade to bigger batches I will be ready.

Lothos
  • ThymThym
    Both are good ideas. I'd start with the ferm chamber

Lothos
  • jlwjlw
    Now I just need a good idea on how to build. Maybe I'll take some pics of my closet and start a new thread on how to build a ferm chamber to get good ideas.

ThymLothos
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    rigid foam insulation and a dorm fridge.

Lothos
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Buld thread!

Lothos
  • djsethalldjsethall
    CurlyFat said:

Stir plates are about $10 to make. Many designs in the google. I would personally suggest a keggle so that you could do larger batches. 12.5 gallon batches are easy on a system like yours. Even with decent gravities 1.060-65 are attainable with batches of that size.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Also a march pump or something similar. Drop the IC and get a chill plate. I could go on and on. Buy 2 sanke MLT's, 1 sanke HLT. 2 PID controllers and a few feet of stainless pipe and you have a nice system, that can produce 45 gallon batches fairly easily. That means brewing 5 batches a year. roughly, my math is bad tonight
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    jlw said:

Now I just need a good idea on how to build. Maybe I'll take some pics of my closet and start a new thread on how to build a ferm chamber to get good ideas.

I'm interested in building one as well. I want to build one to cool and heat as needed based on temp. If anyone has a build, please share. JLW, you starting a thread?
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

jlw said:

I'm interested in building one as well. I want to build one to cool and heat as needed based on temp. If anyone has a build, please share. JLW, you starting a thread?

I may start a thread. I have to get motivated to start looking at equipment or for gear.