What do you do if you overcarbonate in bottles?
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    Just pour it and swirl it a bit til the carbonation dissipates?
  • ThymThym
    Just crack the caps to release pressure then recap.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Funny you ask. My black saison after a one month primary, 3 month secondary, and now in the bottles for 3 months have bulging caps. Worse yet, one of the bottles exploded, actually the bottom of the bottle cracked. Now there is beer all over the wall, golf bag and carpet in my beer room.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Funny you ask. My black saison after a one month primary, 3 month secondary, and now in the bottles for 3 months have bulging caps. Worse yet, one of the bottles exploded, actually the bottom of the bottle cracked. Now there is beer all over the wall, golf bag and carpet in my beer room.

Must have picked up a wild yeast in the bottleing process... Drink em fast before they turn to ass.
  • jlwjlw
    What's funny is it's only some of the bottles. The saison is supposed to be carbed higher so I used I think 6.5 oz of yeast but still weird they were ok until the last week or two. I stuckk all of the bottles in the fridge to slow the process down.

I wish I loved this beer so I could drink them fast but they are a little sweet for my taste. Next time I may hop it up a but to balance it out.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

What's funny is it's only some of the bottles. The saison is supposed to be carbed higher so I used I think 6.5 oz of yeast but still weird they were ok until the last week or two. I stuckk all of the bottles in the fridge to slow the process down.

I wish I loved this beer so I could drink them fast but they are a little sweet for my taste. Next time I may hop it up a but to balance it out.

If I'm right, they won't be sweet for long.
    I really don't want to go through all the work of recapping. Although that should work well. will my swirl method impact the flavor?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

I really don't want to go through all the work of recapping. Although that should work well. will my swirl method impact the flavor?

nope, i used to have to do this every now and again when i bottled and before i weighed my priming sugar.
    i would generally use a 22 ounce glass, and pour straight down the middle to release the extra carb.
    problem comes in waiting for the 8 inches of head to go down so you can drink it!
    k thanks.
    I'm going to start kegging. Bottling blows anyway.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

I'm going to start kegging. Bottling blows anyway.

that's the natural progression of it. saves so much damn time and frustration, plus, then you can force carb and be drinking in no time!!
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Someone said fridge to slow carb, I have done that and started drinking ASAP. I also had a few bombers blow, but those were infected, built pressure from souring and blew glass, beer all over ferm/storage room. Also leaked all over stacked cases, huge mess.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Someone said fridge to slow carb, I have done that and started drinking ASAP. I also had a few bombers blow, but those were infected, built pressure from souring and blew glass, beer all over ferm/storage room. Also leaked all over stacked cases, huge mess.

i took home several boxes from those canned air computer dusters. they fit 12 oz bottles nicely and have thick cardboard separations. i put the boxes in garbage bags and you've got those suckers contained fairly well.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Benvarine said:

i took home several boxes from those canned air computer dusters. they fit 12 oz bottles nicely and have thick cardboard separations. i put the boxes in garbage bags and you've got those suckers contained fairly well.

or just pay attention......but yeah.....your way works too