Redneck 1.5bbl brewery
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I'm starting to work on a plan for a brewery using 55gal drums, no not stainless ones... Any way I'm planing on making it wood fired. I'll be posting pics and maybe a few videos as I go, oh and asking for lots of suggestions and advice.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Wow. Bookmarked
  • ThymThym
    this should be awesome.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I figure he will get at least one run before it rusts out, but it will be cool. I wonder if he has thought about the effects of a lower ph mash and what it will do to sheet steel?
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

I figure he will get at least one run before it rusts out, but it will be cool. I wonder if he has thought about the effects of a lower ph mash and what it will do to sheet steel?

He could use a spray enamel finish to inhibit rust on the interior.
    I would go electric fired to control the temps better. That would also promote longer service life.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Well, they are painted, food grade. They were once filled maple syrup. I don't know how the paint will hold up the boiling temps, but I'm planing on testing it out on some water first.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Well, they are painted, food grade. They were once filled maple syrup. I don't know how the paint will hold up the boiling temps, but I'm planing on testing it out on some water first.

direct firing will create hot spots on the steel that will cause it to fail a lot faster. the electric boil kettle ensures that the kettle itself is actually the coldest part of the system
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    yeah, but my electric bill, I'd rather just cut down some trees and steal more drums from work when I cook them
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lake, i think your missing the redneck aspect of this brewery plan.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

im sorry. I'll let you redneck it. make sure there a used tire or two somewhere in the plans. those always come in handy.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lakewood said:

im sorry. I'll let you redneck it. make sure there a used tire or two somewhere in the plans. those always come in handy.

At least a rim. I used an aluminum rim for awhile to hold up kegs before I had the sink
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

Lakewood said:

At least a rim. I used an aluminum rim for awhile to hold up kegs before I had the sink

aluminum? fancy.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

aha! I'll just use burning tires as fuel, no need to cut down trees.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

aha! I'll just use burning tires as fuel, no need to cut down trees.

perfect. they burn hot!
  • ceanntceannt
    Don't forget the duct tape...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Love the idea
  • jlwjlw
    I would throw some used motor oil on the tires to get them started.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the brew stand had better be constructed of old keystone cans.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

the brew stand had better be constructed of old keystone cans.

new keystone cans might provide better support.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I was thinking about the pump thing today. If just the mash tun could be lifted or dropped I wouldn't need a pump at all. that's also the only drum that doesn't need to be heated. I guess a pump may be cheaper than a lift system that can lift 9 feet high.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    For the heat I was thinking I'd cut a drum in half. Add some air holes, maybe some refractory insulation, and just set the kettles on top, no stand necessary. I guess I'll just keep filling that spare bedroom with the keystone cans.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

I was thinking about the pump thing today. If just the mash tun could be lifted or dropped I wouldn't need a pump at all. that's also the only drum that doesn't need to be heated. I guess a pump may be cheaper than a lift system that can lift 9 feet high.

but a pulley and rope hooked to the back of your car would be pretty impressive.
  • jlwjlw

I would start rounding up stray dogs (they can live under your front porch) rig up a basic pulley system and teach the dogs to pull the mash tun up in the air.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

but a pulley and rope hooked to the back of your car would be pretty impressive.

This too is a good idea. You'll need an engine for that transam you have up on blocks.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

This too is a good idea. You'll need an engine for that transam you have up on blocks.

But I don't need wheels, just rap the rope around an axle and let in wined up. Or i could get a winch on the bumper of the Subaru, that would add some class.

I would need something that could take the weight (about 450lbs). That would require some good rope or chain. that was connected the the mash tun well.
    And there isn't a good tree to attach that too either, so I would have to build a support frame thing.
    A pump is looking more reasonable the more I think about it.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    I was thinking...... get a galvanized tub from an ag store..... fill it with used oil from McD's.... put your kettle in it.... get much more even heat, with no hot spots.
    And also has some additional redneck points associated with it.....

Thym
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

I was thinking...... get a galvanized tub from an ag store..... fill it with used oil from McD's.... put your kettle in it.... get much more even heat, with no hot spots.

that's not a bad idea at all, might have to step it up a redneck notch and use motor oil.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

ceannt said:

that's not a bad idea at all, might have to step it up a redneck notch and use motor oil.

now we're talkin.

i still want to see some pictures soon.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

i still want to see some pictures soon.

yeah, i'd have to get off my ass and put down the keystone to do that, maybe next week.

-Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    motor oil really smokes....... not sure you want that in your beer...... cool as hell though..... peanut oil would be the best thing, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

motor oil really smokes....... not sure you want that in your beer...... cool as hell though..... peanut oil would be the best thing, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I could make my own take on this
    my own disgusting take...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Now that...... is funny...
  • FuzzyFuzzy

ceannt said:

that is a delicious beer.
  • jlwjlw

ceannt said:

I have one of these in the fridge waiting for just the right moment to be opened and enjoyed.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes

get a water pump off an old car. and a small electric motor to run it.

• ThymThym

Hmmmm... That might just be redneck enough to work.
    or use a gravity fed system!! set it up on top of an old junk car or something while you heat it... run a garden hose down from it. as long as the bottom of the one is below the top of the other you should be good. just open the valve. good to go. work smarter not harder. and gravity is free.

Jayrizzle
    use a an old radiator as a chiller.
  • djsethalldjsethall

Don't ever do this. Just an FYI if anyone ever actually reads this.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I like the water pump idear. Maybe power it with a squirrel?
    djsethall said:

Don't ever do this. Just an FYI if anyone ever actually reads this.

it was a sarcastic comment. you could die from the residual antifreeze. spring for a new radiator.

also if you want to know anything about anything redneck.... ask me. I like to hunt deer drink beer and fuck.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lead in radiators, never use. Nuff sed

Jayrizzle
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    djsethall said:

Lead in radiators, never use. Nuff sed

yeah, one of the top reasons people die from moonshine is use of car radiators as condensers. You can clean the anti-freeze out, but not what it's made out of.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

or use a gravity fed system!! set it up on top of an old junk car or something while you heat it... run a garden hose down from it. as long as the bottom of the one is below the top of the other you should be good. just open the valve. good to go. work smarter not harder. and gravity is free.

to pure it into a fermenter the kettle would have to be 3 feet off the ground, so the mash tun would 6 feet, and the sparge tank would be 9 feet up (the bottom of it). That just doesn't seem smarter.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

that's a good idea. I don't know about many cars, but on mine it wouldn't work unless I had the block too. The removable part of the pump is just an impeller and pulley. The pump housing is very much part of everything......

Shit, if I cleaned out my coolant system (I mean really really well) I could use my car to pump and heat the sparge water, just put both radiator hoses into the sparge tank until it was up to temp then put on into the mash tun.... Though that would work, it's too redneck, and the hose and new antifreeze would cost as much as pump. Also I don't want to run acidic ward in my aluminum engine, that's not good for the beer.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I think I may as well just make everything else, I can use a 5 gal bucket as a pump after all.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    This will be the crown jewel of hbf build threads
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

This will be the crown jewel of hbf build threads

Once complete with pictures we will need to memorialize the thread.
  • ceanntceannt
    Video would be nice too........
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Yes and should be submitted to some news source.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

That's still some time out. I wish a could take a few days off work and get some head way on this.
    But when I get moving on this I will tape it for YouTube, and repost it here... unless I die before uploading it, like in the filming of it... If that happens I really hope my wife takes care of the upload, but I don't think that would be her biggest concern, it's really too bad.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

jlw said:

ceannt said:

That's still some time out. I wish a could take a few days off work and get some head way on this.
    But when I get moving on this I will tape it for YouTube, and repost it here... unless I die before uploading it, like in the filming of it... If that happens I really hope my wife takes care of the upload, but I don't think that would be her biggest concern, it's really too bad.

Leave instructions in your will. Dont chance it.

Jayrizzle
  • ceanntceannt
    just don't die in a "here Bubba, hold my beer and watch this" moment...... not worth the extra Red-neck points.....

Jayrizzle
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

just don't die in a "here Bubba, hold my beer and watch this" moment...... not worth the extra Red-neck points.....

This feels like we have already broached the "hey ya'll watch this" moment.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

This feels like we have already broached the "hey ya'll watch this" moment.

Pretty much ...

to pure it into a fermenter the kettle would have to be 3 feet off the ground, so the mash tun would 6 feet, and the sparge tank would be 9 feet up (the bottom of it). That just doesn't seem smarter.

U don't have a hillside? Maybe spread it all out a bit? Use existing structures? Seal it all up and use forced air to push it out? Like out of a tailpipe haha

Jayrizzle
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

U don't have a hillside? Maybe spread it all out a bit? Use existing structures? Seal it all up and use forced air to push it out? Like out of a tailpipe haha

Now that's a good idea. The drums are already sealed so I just don't cut them. Even if I just do that with the sparge water that would save a lot of work.
    The hill idea would work, but I'd have to ferment down in the garden, or have the sparge tank in my bedroom.
    -Some guy in Ohio
    I wish I could see all you have. I can redneck rig about anything.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

then why did you buy a grain mill?

I was thinking about an air lift. that might work, it would just be really fucking slow.
    -Some guy in Ohio

then why did you buy a grain mill?

I was thinking about an air lift. that might work, it would just be really fucking slow.

I needed something quick. and I hadn't seen a regular grain mill... plus the one i got was worth the 100 bucks just for the time it would take to make and the ease of use. I'd have spent x in actual money and x in time and x in tweaking and pain. the grain mill seemed like something better to just bite the bullet on. if i had a machine shop.. .that would be a different story.

I feel like if you start lifting these things you are creating some danger. use a shop vac to suck the air our or push the air in to create the pressure gradient. you could build a small lift out of wood like simple framed 2x4s and a screw or a skyjacker lift or just a huge lever of some sort. maybe a ratcheting mechanism.

or build a frame. make the vessels rollable or use pipes to roll them on... then roll them onto the frame. lift the frame with some variation of a ratchet tie down or a come-a-long.
    or fabricate a skyjacker lift type of ratcheting mechanism into the frame for lifting.
  • ThymThym
    I like the sealed hlt idea. Wouldnt work for the other vessels though.. well i gues you could try a sealed mlt but you need a good access point to add amd remove grain.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

I like the sealed hlt idea. Wouldnt work for the other vessels though.. well i gues you could try a sealed mlt but you need a good access point to add amd remove grain.

not if I only use it once..... just toss it in the river when I'm done.

Think I may have time to take a first cut at a drum this morning. This one may be for a smoker, but it's related skill building.

I'm going to use a old POS skillsaw with an abrasive metal cutting blade.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Do you have an angle grinder?
  • ceanntceannt
    Might have a bit more control
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

not if I only use it once..... just toss it in the river when I'm done.

Think I may have time to take a first cut at a drum this morning. This one may be for a smoker, but it's related skill building.

I'm going to use a old POS skillsaw with an abrasive metal cutting blade.

Please video tape this. Just in case things go wrong.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Gorgeous freakin day here.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

he does not.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

I wish

Please video tape this. Just in case things go wrong.

I should have, but things went well, Though I'm a little afraid I may burn my house down. When I finished the spark show I realized I was right next to a big pile of saw dust, I'll have to take a close look at that before I go to work.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    Is the pile of saw dust large enough that you could elevate the MT above the BK?
  • jlwjlw
    by the way this is absolutely one of my all time favorite threads.

C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    I want pictures

C_B
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

by the way this is absolutely one of my all time favorite threads.

As with Facebook, I want to 'like' this more than once.
  • jlwjlw
    The possibilities of what happens next are near endless.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

The possibilities of what happens next are near endless.

and will inevitably involve chickens.

Jayrizzle
  • ceanntceannt
    Need a possum in there someplace too....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Quando omni flunkus moritati
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So yes pics are due, but I'll take them when there is some light.

After cutting one drum i had a thought, the tops of the drums are sealed and have two threaded fittings, so if I just cut off the bottom I could thread in a drain valve. That seems about as simple as I like, no drilling and washers and gaskets and all that junk.
    But I'm going to direct fire them (still thinking wood... maybe a tire here and there) so this bit of pipe will get cooked hard. I can't see it being a problem for the HLT, but I'm not so sure about the kettle.
    Also copper or iron for the pipe? I was thinking copper, I think I have enough already.

The paint held up to the heat of cutting amazingly well. I'm going to wash it out and boil some water in it to test it more. I'm thinking I'll just put it on the turkey fryer burner. I haven't built the wood burners yet.
    Just to keep things in prospective I have spent money on this project. I bout a $4.99 saw blade. It looks like I'll need a few more before everything is done.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

Is the pile of saw dust large enough that you could elevate the MT above the BK?

no, but it may be enough fuel to get the HLT up to temp.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Quando omni flunkus moritati

What is it about Latin that just destroys all attempts to appear red-neck????
  • ceanntceannt
    Good quote though...... make a great bumper sticker...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you should definitely use corn cobs for the fuel.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So the wood burners.
    What I'm thinking for them now is half a drum with air holes and exhaust holes.
    I think that will take the weight of a full drum, I'll have to use one that in good shape...
    But as it heats up it will get softer, which could be really bad, but shouldn't be a problem if I line it with insulating refractory.
    And insulated fire box will have many advantages too.

I'm not sure if I should do passive or forced air. I do like things to get hot faster, so i think I just answered my own question... now where did I put that hair drier?

Okay, so cheap ass insulating castable refractory. So I need to go to the farm supply store and get some fire clay and vermiculite. I could use kitty litter, but I did some cone theses with that a few years back. I don't know if it's really bentonite or not, but it didn't take the temps as well as the farmers supply fire clay.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Okay I just read through that post and I was starting to add up costs. Screw that, I'm using kitty litter from the dollar store as refractory. Just mix in a little Portland cement (or plaster) and sawdust or coffee grounds (that will burn out and make it a better insulator). I may have to get some vermiculite for this... I guess I could use fine peat moss, I already have some of that...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    did that work?
    IMG_3222.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 501K
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I guess so, but a little more so than expected.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    yep.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I guess so, but a little more so than expected.

fixed.
    If this works and holds up you'll have to start sellin these. Three tier system.

To the thing about the car water pump. If u get the right one you may be able to make a plate for it so u could use it stand alone.
    Use a bilge pump from an old boat?
  • ceanntceannt

This
  • jlwjlw

A bilge pump would work well for pumping lot's of liquid fast.
  • ThymThym
    I dont think a bilge pump would hold up to elevated temps very well. But i could probably send you one if you decided to go that route.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

If this works and holds up you'll have to start sellin these. Three tier system.

It won't hold up. If it works well enough I may get some stainless drums, or just keep replacing them every brew or five.

Lakewood said:

I dont think a bilge pump would hold up to elevated temps very well. But i could probably send you one if you decided to go that route.

Some might work, some will not, but I'm putting the pump ideas on a back burner right now. I can lift a 5 gal bucket 20 times, pumps aren't at all necessary for this to make beer.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    so my next step is making the burners. I'm going to make them out of halved drums.

I'm thinking forced air and insulated. I'm hoping I can set all of the weight of the BK and HLT directly on them. I'll need to have some slits to let the hot gasses out.
    Any thoughts on this?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

so my next step is making the burners. I'm going to make them out of halved drums.

I'm thinking forced air and insulated. I'm hoping I can set all of the weight of the BK and HLT directly on them. I'll need to have some slits to let the hot gasses out.
    Any thoughts on this?

id have to run a hot buckling analysis to say whether this sounds like classic redneck engineering or a 3rd degree burns over 75% of your body disaster.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Run a what now? Crazy city boy. Just stand back and see what happens.

The outside won't get that hot but still thinking about adding some sticks of angle iron to hold the weight. I don't have welding stuff so I'd just cast them into the refractory.
    I don't really want the added cost of that, so I may try to find something I already have or can get for free.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    As always... video.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I cut a drum in half for the burner and I keep looking at it and scratching my head. Some how I was thinking it would be taller. For a wood fired burner I'd want it to be tall enough to get at least 70% combustion, but I don't think that will be possible unless I use wood pellets.
    I could use 2/3's of a drum for each burner, but then things get a little taller than I want.
    Another though I had was charcoal (which I can make, but that's another process).
    I'm also thinking about home made propane burners. I've made a few before, but I'd want a lot of heat from them which could result in my little grill tank freezing up. I do have a 56gal tank that my kitchen stove runs on, but tapping into that would be difficult. And if I wanted the pressure at more than 11 water columns (which I do, as I don't want to use forced air) I'd be out of luck... also the propane company made me sign a lot of stuff saying I wouldn't alter or tap into the existing system.
    Other options are oil (used cooking, used motor, or fuel oil) and electric. Or maybe solar, If I got enough reflectors, the drums are black...
    I don't really want to go with electric, but that seems like the simplest option in many ways. I don't want to pay for the electricity and don't really trust my electrical work when it comes to metal objects filled with water.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

So I cut a drum in half for the burner and I keep looking at it and scratching my head. Some how I was thinking it would be taller. For a wood fired burner I'd want it to be tall enough to get at least 70% combustion, but I don't think that will be possible unless I use wood pellets.
    I could use 2/3's of a drum for each burner, but then things get a little taller than I want.
    Another though I had was charcoal (which I can make, but that's another process).
    I'm also thinking about home made propane burners. I've made a few before, but I'd want a lot of heat from them which could result in my little grill tank freezing up. I do have a 56gal tank that my kitchen stove runs on, but tapping into that would be difficult. And if I wanted the pressure at more than 11 water columns (which I do, as I don't want to use forced air) I'd be out of luck... also the propane company made me sign a lot of stuff saying I wouldn't alter or tap into the existing system.
    Other options are oil (used cooking, used motor, or fuel oil) and electric. Or maybe solar, If I got enough reflectors, the drums are black...
    I don't really want to go with electric, but that seems like the simplest option in many ways. I don't want to pay for the electricity and don't really trust my electrical work when it comes to metal objects filled with water.

Electric seems like a dangerously good idea... I'm hopeful you will ground everything... but i will also say it will take a lot of power to bring 40 gal to a boil in a reasonable amount of time...