Mash Hopping?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Does anyone do it? What are your results? I just made an IPA the other day and am wondering what to expect. I am unable to upload the BSM file right now for some reason.

20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.02 %
    5.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 15.50 %
    5.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.50 %
    1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.88 %
    1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.10 %

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (90 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 2.7 IBU

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.90 %] (90 min) Hops 24.6 IBU
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
    1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
    1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.90 %] (60 min) Hops 23.0 IBU
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
    0.63 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

75 min Mash In Add 10.08 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
    10 min Mash Out Add 6.45 gal of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

I used a S-05 yeast for this. Second Generation

Of course I am using my tried and trued RIMS/BIAB hybrid. I have high hopes for this one. I am almost wanting to add more hops on the next one, Maybe 3-4 ounces instead.
  • ThymThym
    never done it. seems like it would be ineffective, but im no expert.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    I first wort hop.. never tried in the mash... let us know how it turns out...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    From what I've been told about hops; you won't get AA's unless it's boiling, and aroma/flavor boil off, so by that you'd get nothing from it... this is clearly not 100% true and i'd like to know how this works out.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I could definitely smell the hops in the mashing phase.
  • C_BC_B

From what I've been told about hops; you won't get AA's unless it's boiling, and aroma/flavor boil off, so by that you'd get nothing from it... this is clearly not 100% true and i'd like to know how this works out.

I've read that also, or at least the near boiling. But this seems contradictory to first wort hopping. You will get some AA's as the temp ramps up, but I don't understand where the benefit is.
    DJ, is this an exact recipe you have done before? The only difference is the mash hopping?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I created this one on a whim. I guess in order to be more scientific, I would need to do two of the same beer at once in order to have a control.
  • jlwjlw
    I've never done this but have often wondered if it would work? I'll be curious to see how it turns out.
  • C_BC_B
    I imagine it makes the mash smell even more yummy.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I just read this

Mash Hopping
    Mash hopping is perhaps the most controversial and least used method of hopping in all of homebrewing and commercial craftbrewing. This hop application is basically an addition of hops to the mash itself, for whatever amount of time the grains are mashed, recirculated, and run off. This early process hopping contributes a relatively small addition of bittering units, but interjects a healthy dose of hop flavor.
    Pellet hops are typically preferred for this method due to their ability to break down and be absorbed into the mash, with the notion that the small hop particles will pass through the entire process and end up in the brew kettle. Whole leaf hops can also be used for this method. While whole leaf hops may not pass through the mash as effectively as pelletized hops, they still do a great job of flavoring (with some small amount of bitterness). Whole hops added during mash hopping also have the added bonus of increasing the filtration of the grain bed as it compacts during recirculation.
    Commercially, this method of hopping is used by Vinnie Cilurzno at Russian River Brewing Company for the highly acclaimed Pliney the Elder, Imperial India Pale Ale. This method of hopping was also used for the 2007 and 2008 winners of the “Best Damn Hoppy Beer in the Pacific Northwest” at Hop Madness. This technique applies only to all-grain and partial-mash brewing. Also keep in mind that the flavoring compounds extracted during mash hopping are best drawn from hops that have favorable oil and resin levels.
  • C_BC_B
    djsethall said:

I just read this

Very interesting. I didn't realize this technique had any commercial applications. Let alone, good ones.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    how much flavor would even survive the boil though? logically, it would all be driven off and act more like a first wort hop.

i might try this with some wet hops if i get a good yield this year.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Should be pretty much like a first wort hop, but for a much longer time..... I like the flavor from a first wort hop, so I may give this a try for an IPA....
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Should be pretty much like a first wort hop, but for a much longer time..... I like the flavor from a first wort hop, so I may give this a try for an IPA....

maybe a certain peper ipa?
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

maybe a certain peper ipa?

How did you guess? ?? :)
  • djsethalldjsethall
    ceannt said:

Maybe put the peppers in the mash?
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

ceannt said:

That seems like a good idea to me. If i did a pepper beer id be looking for the flavor more than the hot.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • LothosLothos
    djsethall said:

ceannt said:

you would have to split them open to get the effect that you want
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Lothos said:

djsethall said:

ceannt said:

you would have to split them open to get the effect that you want

or put 1 pepper per bottle when capped
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • djsethalldjsethall
    This could provide a whole new use of peppers in beer. Different peppers have different flavors and varying extraction times could add even more profiles to a beer.

Thym
  • LothosLothos
    SO i just opened a new can of worms huh perplexing is'nt it
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lothos said:

Yeah, thanks a$$hole. If I didn't have enough flavors to worry about?
  • LothosLothos
    Your very welcome

Ain't that a Bitch
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lothos said:

Your very welcome

If I dabble in this and it turns out good, I will send you a sixer. Production rights will be mine, but you get a sixer
  • LothosLothos
    djsethall said:

Lothos said:

Yeah, thanks. If I didn't have enough flavors to worry about?

well sorry good idea though
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    djsethall said:

Lothos said:

Your very welcome

If I dabble in this and it turns out good, I will send you a sixer. Production rights will be mine, but you get a sixer

well i would hope so
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    ok im done for now
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    djsethall said:

Lothos said:

Your very welcome

I demand an update!

@djsethall
    @djhogballs!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake