German kegs, sliders?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I found a keg on CL pretty reasonable. He says it is a German brewery keg. I searched online, I think they are called sliders. Lots of tap adapters for them, but I just want another keggle from it. Any concerns with this thing. Probably going tonight to see it.
  • ThymThym
    If you're just going to cut the top off the only things that matter are size and materials.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Cool. All stainless, going to see it later. I will respond back when I see it.
  • LothosLothos
    its probly a 50 L keg 13.2 gal could be a hiniken keg
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I bought it. It is a Lowenbrau keg. I didn't look for volume on it, but it looks identical to an AB sanke keg except for the different tap ontop. Which will be removed via plasma cutter tomorrow. Now i have to figure out how to get the pressure relieved before I hit it with one of the coolest tools I have ever used.
  • ThymThym
    just press down on the ball with a screwdriver... i usually use the handle side.

Oh, and while i would get a certain amount of sadistic pleasure out of hearing about it if you missed this step; I'll share anyway.

Make sure you place a towel or something over the fitting before pressing down with the screwdriver handle... These things always have some amount of liquid left in them and it will spray everywhere.
  • LothosLothos
    unless you have a sanke tap with a hose attached to it it will spray the crap out of you =))

Jayrizzle
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yes, thanks for the heads up, I made one from a sanke and got a little blue moon shower. This one now has a bit of lowenbrau sloshing around.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    not just blue moon.......3 year old blue moon.......aged to perfection!
  • ThymThym

not just blue moon.......3 year old blue moon.......aged to perfection!

Hehe.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I was able to release the pressure by unscrewing the top with channel locks, but could not get the dip tube out until I cut off the top. Worked out ok. Weired tap valve on these things, can't just depress like a snake to relieve the pressure.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lothos said:

unless you have a sanke tap with a hose attached to it it will spray the crap out of you =))

oh god, I moved into a apartment in college that had an abandoned plastic keg in the back yard. Anyway i had the great idea to press on the ball in the middle of the valve. Well there was lots of pressure in it and the geyser of warm old cheap beer shot directly into my right eye. It hurt a lot just from the pressure.
    got 20 bucks for it at some liqueur store, which almost made up for that, I was rather broke at the time.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lothos said:

oh god, I moved into a apartment in college that had an abandoned plastic keg in the back yard. Anyway i had the great idea to press on the ball in the middle of the valve. Well there was lots of pressure in it and the geyser of warm old cheap beer shot directly into my right eye. It hurt a lot just from the pressure.
    got 20 bucks for it at some liqueur store, which almost made up for that, I was rather broke at the time.

=))
  • jlwjlw
    I wish I could get my hands on a couple kegs.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Craigslist has been good so far, you have to keep an eye out, some people want up to $100 each, I found the last one for $40 and I think I could have offered less, when I didn't offer less, he said he should have listed it higher. A lot of folks on there expect you to offer less, if it is a good deal, I don't try and beat them up. I found a un-used turkey fryer for $30, I just wanted the burner, stand and lid, worth the $30 to me.
  • LothosLothos
    i found 2 for 50.00
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Ahhh, two-for. Great deal. The prices seem to be all over the place on CL. I check every day or two and see. I have a junk dealer now looking for another one for me, and I don't know if I even need one. See simple all-grain thread.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Ahhh, two-for. Great deal. The prices seem to be all over the place on CL. I check every day or two and see. I have a junk dealer now looking for another one for me, and I don't know if I even need one. See simple all-grain thread.

They are handy. I use two as fermenters and two for the brew rig. I have one extra that i may someday rebuild or convert into something else.
  • C_BC_B
    Also try the local scrap yard. sometimes they'll have a couple they haven't smashed up yet.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    I really want to get to 10 or 15 gallon batches but I'm not ready to just go buy a brew rig.
  • LothosLothos
    jlw said:

I really want to get to 10 or 15 gallon batches but I'm not ready to just go buy a brew rig.

Don't buy a new brew rig

Piece it together 1 piece at a time
    I started out partial brewing and started collecting my equipment to go all grain. And built I as I got it
    Ain't that a Bitch