Mash tun size
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I want to know what size cooler mash tun to build for 10g batches using keggles for liquor tank and kettle. I see two other builds on here for 5 gallons, is that enough? Would a 10g cooler be better if you are starting from scratch? And by they way, coolers are not cheap, $40 at best, up to $100.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the 5 gallon coolers are barely big enough to do 5 gallons of higher gravity beer.

check out garage sales, clearance racks, etc and grab a cheapo rolling cooler. this is the one i plan on using.

it's a little pricey for that type of cooler, but it's very well insulated and i didn't buy it. it was a gift. i'm sure you can get one that's pretty cheap.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    10 gallons is pushing it.... 15 or 20 would be better.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    15 gallons is a good size for a 10 gallon batch size. Larger is always better,because it gives you more flexibilty, but I don't have any trouble getting 10 gallons of 1.080 out of my 15.5 gal keggle.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    I use a 10 gallon Igloo water cooler as a mash tun with a stainless steel false bottom. Like this one...

You would be able to fo low to medium garvity beers in 10 gallon batches. If it where me I would go bigger if you think you will want to do high gravity 10 gallon batches.

• BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

15 gallons is a good size for a 10 gallon batch size. Larger is always better,because it gives you more flexibilty, but I don't have any trouble getting 10 gallons of 1.080 out of my 15.5 gal keggle.

Lake, you are using a keggle as your mash tun? Are you using three keggles for your brew system?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Lake, you are using a keggle as your mash tun? Are you using three keggles for your brew system?

yes he is.
  • LothosLothos

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

yes he is.

i use keggles for my system also 3 of them
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Do you wrap the mash tun in something to keep it insulated, or keep heat on it? I'm not doIng AG yet, but trying to ease into it one piece of equip at a time. I have a keggle, trying to arrange pickup of another, then will need a third sounds like if I don't use a cooler.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Do you wrap the mash tun in something to keep it insulated, or keep heat on it? I'm not doIng AG yet, but trying to ease into it one piece of equip at a time. I have a keggle, trying to arrange pickup of another, then will need a third sounds like if I don't use a cooler.

I'm actually only running two keggles --- i don't have an HLT, i use an electric inline heater for sparge water.

And yes, i insulated the MLT using foam bed-roll (the stuff you use when backpacking). I will eventually replace the bed-roll material with a purpose built insulation. for now this work pretty well. The MLT is not fired at all, so i will be putting spray foam insulation all around it. Thats basically the same insulation used in the igloos.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If I recall; I can fit exactly 13.5lb of grain in my 5gal. That's a thick mash, with not much room to stir, but it works.
    so a ten gal would work for 27lbs (with a similar manifold)
    If you get about 28 pt per lb that's 756pt/10gal= 1.0756OG. If you want higher gravity you could always make a smaller batch, say 8 gal.
    I like the proportions of the round drink coolers (just wish they made a cheap 20gal one), but people get very good results with the chest coolers.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

If I recall; I can fit exactly 13.5lb of grain in my 5gal. That's a thick mash, with not much room to stir, but it works.
    so a ten gal would work for 27lbs (with a similar manifold)
    If you get about 28 pt per lb that's 756pt/10gal= 1.0756OG. If you want higher gravity you could always make a smaller batch, say 8 gal.
    I like the proportions of the round drink coolers (just wish they made a cheap 20gal one), but people get very good results with the chest coolers.

I have a 10 gallon round igloo cooler and I can handle 24 lbs of grain ad that was it, no more.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

I have a 10 gallon round igloo cooler and I can handle 24 lbs of grain ad that was it, no more.

a false bottom make up for that difference. I use a 1/2" copper manifold in my five.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Lothos said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

yes he is.

You only use 3? I got 5 in my brew system and a few more for fermenting.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    djsethall said:

Lothos said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

yes he is.

and a kitchen sink.
  • LothosLothos
    djsethall said:

Lothos said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

yes he is.

thats just for my system i have 3 others for fermenting 12 gal batches
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

djsethall said:

Lothos said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

yes he is.

thats just for my system i have 3 others for fermenting 12 gal batches

how do you package 12 gallons? two corny kegs and bottle the rest?
  • LothosLothos
    yes growlers
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

yes growlers

naturally carbed?
  • ThymThym
    At that point i would just start short filling sankes for carbonation and serving.
  • LothosLothos
    in the growler yes in the keg no forced so i always have some left over hiding on the shelf in the growlers
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

in the growler yes in the keg no forced so i always have some left over hiding on the shelf in the growlers

My brain just tells me thats more stuff to clean
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

i put 2 gal in growlers and put them on the back shelf for aging

Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

my growlers are for filling at brewpubs or transporting beer to friends houses. i have bottles for bottling beer. ;)
  • ThymThym

Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

my growlers are for filling at brewpubs or transporting beer to friends houses. i have bottles for bottling beer. ;)

I typically just bottle off the keg if i want to squirell away a bit of beer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

I typically just bottle off the keg if i want to squirell away a bit of beer.

i've been known to bottle the two or three extra beers worth that don't fit into the keg. normally i'll just bottle from a keg if i want to set some aside, but if they're a little extra, i try not to waste it.