Olde Stump Blower, Robust Porter
  • ceanntceannt
    I have been dissapointed in the past with my Robust Porters.... I would put my Brown Porter up against any, but my Robust ones just didn't get it.... I did a great deal of head scratching formulating this one, and wow, did it pay off....
    I have attached my xcel Beer Calculator with the recipe entered in.... if you can't open it, let me know and I'll type it out for you.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenSBenS
    That's a neat little excel program you wrote.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ceanntceannt
    Thanks man. I had been doing all the calcs by hand....... got tired of pushing buttons on my calculator..... took me a while to get it to do everything I wanted it to, but I'm happy with it.
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    Where are these files people keep speaking of?
  • ThymThym

I think i posted my calculator on one of your design me a beer threads
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    Lakewood said:

I think i posted my calculator on one of your design me a beer threads

I meant with the recipe. I can't see the recipe file.
  • ceanntceannt
    Ok.....

9-pounds Pale Malt
    2-pounds Munich malt
    0.625 Pounds Crystal malt 90
    1-pound Chocolate malt
    0.25-pounds Black Patent malt
    0.0526-pounds Peated Malt

1.5 ounce Northern Brewer First Wort Hopped
    0.5 ounce Northern Brewer at Flame Out

Mash at 156 (single infusion) at 1.243 quart/pound
    Batch sparge twice 2.5-gallons each.

S-04 yeast

piping_pig
  • ceanntceannt
    @flyfisherwes
    see above....
    ceannt said:

@flyfisherwes
    see above....

thank you! not sure why i cant see the file.
  • ceanntceannt
    Your welcome ... not sure either
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

I can't see it either, but would be into such a thing, can you try to PM it to me maybe?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    It shows up under the first post for me.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

I can't see it either, but would be into such a thing, can you try to PM it to me maybe?

PM me your E-mail and I'll send you the file as an attachment
  • ceanntceannt
    Updated to include recent discussion "elsewhere"....

CZs "i'd be interested to hear about the yeast profile v. the specialty grain flavors in these - "
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt: "Roasted character should dominate ... I like a little English yeast to them ... but it should really take a back seat "
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs "did you get just a hint of smoke with this one - how did the chocolate come out - was thinking of using .5lb Pale Chocolate mixed in with Brown, De-Bittered, Special B and Honey for a complexity over one flavor standing out - yours looks scrumptious"
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt "The chocolate malt gives a roasted character without the harsh chalky taste of too much black patent ... just a bit smoother ... the tiny bit of smoked malt really can't be noticed ... but adds complexity and depth in a way that is difficult to get any other way .... it certainly isn't a "one dimensional" beer .... what I like the most about it is that it screams roast ... but is silky smooth ...
    The northern brewer hops give it just a hint of mintyness that really sets it off"

piping_pig