Convert a Simple Hefe from extract to AG help
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split from: the Down Under.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B

I'm going to brew again this weekend. The weather looks great.

wacha brewin?

Simple extract hefeweizen.
    Dme/tettenager (i can't even pronounce it, let alone spell it) and white labs American hefeweizen yeast (300 maybe?)
  • C_BC_B
    Oh yeah, and a dab of crystal 10L for color and sweetness.
  • C_BC_B

sounds good. i like hefe's

I made it once last year. It was better than my first AG hefe. I need to convert the recipe to AG and do it in a 10 gallon batch. DME is damn expensive...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    is it 100% wheat dme? because i believe that's 40% wheat and 60% pils.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    just double checked. my package says 65% wheat and 35% barley.
  • C_BC_B

This is what I use.
  • C_BC_B

This is what I use.

Is that literally as easy as taking 65% 2-row and 35% wheat until I get to the correct estimated gravity?

• FuzzyFuzzy

This is what I use.

Is that litterally as easy as taking 65% 2-row and 35% wheat until I get to the correct estimated gravity?

yes. although pilsner malt, not 2 row pale malt.
  • C_BC_B

This is what I use.

Is that litterally as easy as taking 65% 2-row and 35% wheat until I get to the correct estimated gravity?

yes. although pilsner malt, not 2 row pale malt.

Oh? See? There I would have jacked it up. I'll put a LIL somethin somethin together later.
  • C_BC_B
    So my original extract recipe is as follows:

5lbs Wheat DME (65% wheat/ 35% barley)
    1lb Crystal 10L
    1oz Tettnang 4.7%AA 60min
    Danstar Munich

This was a good beer, actually, a really good one.
    So how does this AG recipe look?

6lbs Wheat malt
    3lbs Pilsner malt
    8oz Crystal 10L
    1.5oz Tettnang (4.7%AA) 60min
    WLP320

I like a solid wheat beer. Not so much a spicy wit, or at least what I think a wit is. Does that make sense?

• ThymThym
    The lack of any orange or corriander makes my brain feel funny. You said wit, right?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    I leave this link for reference only.... its not what you are looking for but gives you some idea of my grain and hop profile in a wit.

http://www.homebrewforums.net/themetest2/discussion/80/snow-storm-imperial-wit/p1
  • C_BC_B
    Well, yes. I said wit. But I don't know that I know what a wit really is. The commercial examples that I have had of wits and hefes lead me to believe that what I like are hefes. No spice or bite. Just a smooth not too sweet flavor that has an orangey finish that the yeast lends.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I leave this link for reference only.... its not what you are looking for but gives you some idea of my grain and hop profile in a wit.

http://www.homebrewforums.net/themetest2/discussion/80/snow-storm-imperial-wit/p1

Right. I remember that one. It'll be on the brewkits quarterly, eh? Eh?
  • C_BC_B
    The grain bill I might have guessed, but the hops... That is interesting.
  • ThymThym

Well, yes. I said wit. But I don't know that I know what a wit really is. The commercial examples that I have had of wits and hefes lead me to believe that what I like are hefes. No spice or bite. Just a smooth not too sweet flavor that has an orangey finish that the yeast lends.

Hoegarrden is a pretty good example of a wit in my book.
    Hefeweizens are usually less bready and soft than a good wit. A really rockin wit will be silky smooth with a sourdough breadyness and floral and citrus notes. The useof orange peel and corriander cover the floral and citrus for me, the yeast gets the bready.
  • ThymThym

The grain bill I might have guessed, but the hops... That is interesting.

I've brewed it with lots of different hop profiles. This was the most pleasant in my opinion.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Hefeweizens are usually less bready and soft than a good wit. A really rockin wit will be silky smooth with a sourdough breadyness and floral and citrus notes. The useof orange peel and corriander cover the floral and citrus for me, the yeast gets the bready.

I'll see if I can find Hoegarrden. I also need to find a book on tasting notes. I can damn near taste what I'm trying to explain, but I can't get it into words. The silky smooth you describe is what I'm taking about though. Maybe not for a beer named "simple", but that is a starting point.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Yeah... I'll have to figure that out... you may get a partial mash kit, since i need to turn the dme stock i have.

It'll be an awesome beer, no matter what i send out.

I was also thinking the next kit may end up being a imperial ipa that i havent posted yet.

I may just leave you guessing.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

I'll see if I can find Hoegarrden. I also need to find a book on tasting notes. I can damn near taste what I'm trying to explain, but I can't get it into words. The silky smooth you describe is what I'm taking about though. Maybe not for a beer named "simple", but that is a starting point.

Smooth like a babies bottom.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Yeah... I'll have to figure that out... you may get a partial mash kit, since i need to turn the dme stock i have.

It'll be an awesome beer, no matter what i send out.

I was also thinking the next kit may end up being a imperial ipa that i havent posted yet.

I may just leave you guessing.

I'm up for whatever. AG, PM, extract, whatever works the best for logistics on your end. I think the Snow Storm IW needs to be brewed in about January so it can really be finishing around the middle of April? That's when I start wanting this style.
  • ThymThym
    I've never been one to associate brews with seasons, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance there. I just brew what i can when i can. I'll work with you on what options make the most sense.

That said.... if anyone else wants to jump in on bkq feel free.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I like wits and hefe's. two very different beers, but they're both good. The snow storm wit is very tasty. My wife killed my stash of bottles. X(
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i guess i should brew it again.
  • ThymThym

I like wits and hefe's. two very different beers, but they're both good. The snow storm wit is very tasty. My wife killed my stash of bottles. X(

I'm glad to hear it was well received. It's a fun beer to make too with all of the ingredients and different additions.

I really need to make a batch soon. It's been a long time.
  • scoobscoob
    I use a 60 40 split between wheat and pils, add in some 6 row for a bit of breadiness, and hop it light at 60 with hallertaur, and at 5 min with Saaz for some spicy notes.
    Jesus didn't wear pants