ESB design for Flyfisherwes
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    So I'm doing an ESB on wednesday. I've never made or drank an ESB and I have no clue where to start or finish for that matter. This is what I have:

HOP AA%
    columbus 12.8
    Magnum 11.6
    Cascade 6.6
    willamette 6
    Tettnanger 4
    Magnum 11.6
    cascade leaf 8.8
    crystal leaf 3.3

Galena 13.2
    Nuggett 12.4
    Colombus 13.3
    Summit 15.5
    Warrior 16
    Willamette 4

My malts:

Two Row
    Marris Otter
    Crystal 60
    Crystal 120
    Vienna
    Aromatic
    Victory
    Unmalted Wheat
    Chocolate
    Rye
    Crystal 10
    Special B

I am planning to use a WLP002 yeast cake from a magic hat #9 clone that was 1.050 OG.

Thanks! All comments and recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Fly
  • LothosLothos
    esb try out
    Kettle Vol 8.11 gal @212 Deg
    Size: 6.35 gal
    Efficiency: 80.0%
    Attenuation: 75.0%
    Calories: 564.46 kcal per 22.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.092 (1.026 - 1.120)
    Terminal Gravity: 1.023 (0.995 - 1.035)
    Color: 16.02 (1.0 - 50.0)
    Alcohol: 9.11% (2.5% - 14.5%)
    Bitterness: 71.2 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
    18.69 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
    1.04 lb Crystal 120
    1.04 lb CaraMalt
    3.0 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
    2.0 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 3.0 m
    1.0 ea WYeast 1768 English Special Bitter
    or
    2.0 ea Danstar 3767 Nottingham

Ain't that a Bitch
    Im not sure I can do an ESB that high gravity. I'd have to do less than 5 gallons because my biab bag wont hold that much grain.
    Thanks tho.

Im not sure I can do an ESB that high gravity. I'd have to do less than 5 gallons because my biab bag wont hold that much grain.
    Thanks tho.

nevermind... upon further inspection I found that I am retarded.
  • LothosLothos

Thanks tho.

nevermind... upon further inspection I found that I am retarded.

1 point Lothos
    Ain't that a Bitch
    still... I think I would rather do one with slightly less alcohol. maybe.
    I also do not have a lot of those ingredients..... I need to use what I have because I'm doing it wednesday.
  • LothosLothos

still... I think I would rather do one with slightly less alcohol. maybe.

what % would you like
    i can fix it
    use Crystal 60 instead of Caramalt
    and id use willamette 6 instead of East Kent Goldings
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    ok here is what i got
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    esb try out

KETTLE Vol 8.11 @212 Deg
    Final Vol
    Size: 6.35 gal
    Efficiency: 80.0%
    Attenuation: 75.0%
    Calories: 418.62 kcal per 22.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.068 (1.026 - 1.120)
    Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (0.995 - 1.035)
    Color: 17.49 (1.0 - 50.0)
    Alcohol: 6.75% (2.5% - 14.5%)
    Bitterness: 66.4 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
    13.50 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
    1.04 lb Crystal 120
    1.04 lb Crystal 60
    3.0 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
    2.0 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 3.0 m
    1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
    1.0 ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Why no MO for the ESB?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

Why no MO for the ESB?

well break it up than with marris otter and 2 row
    or use all MO

was just giving options
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Why no MO for the ESB?

or use all MO

was just giving options

Dang
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Why no MO for the ESB?

or use all MO

:) ha it was more question than critique. I was just wondering because i associate esb with english style ale and would gravitate toward mo as an english base. The 2-row makes me think apa.

But i bet you could get away with it in either caregory ;)
  • LothosLothos
    i just didnt think about it
    and didnt know how much grain wes has

If it was mine it would be MO all the way and kent goldings
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    I'll assume a limitless supply of all ingredients listed ;)
    Lakewood said:

I'll assume a limitless supply of all ingredients listed ;)

this
  • C_BC_B
    Lothos said:

Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Why no MO for the ESB?

or use all MO

was just giving options

Dang

Have you had your rabies shot recently? The evil monkey does bite (regardless what Lake claims...)
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    I'm not much of a recipe designer yet, so carry on with the actual topic. Please, I insist.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
    Actually I have probably about 15-20 lbs of MO left. But I have the hook up on an English Pale malt of some sort. Something "Promise." The great guys over at Bridge Brew Works hooked me up with a 55lb sack. I'm not sure what it equates to. But its an English Pale Malt. So it should work? I'm really planning on using it as my base malt in just about everything. I really don't care how true to a style I stay. If I have to make up a new name for something thats what I'll do. I can't see calling a hoppy black beer an IPA but I could see calling it a Black Indian Ale. I just want to drink good beer.

If everyone agrees that this recipe should turn out pretty good then I'll make it. Looks ok to me but I really don't have a clue about esbs. Seems similar to an IPA really...just with different kinds of hops. And no dry hops.

I need more instruction about what temp to mash and how long to mash/boil though.
  • LothosLothos
    id mash at 152Deg 90 min sparge with 170 deg water boil wort 60 min
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym

Actually I have probably about 15-20 lbs of MO left. But I have the hook up on an English Pale malt of some sort. Something "Promise." The great guys over at Bridge Brew Works hooked me up with a 55lb sack. I'm not sure what it equates to. But its an English Pale Malt. So it should work? I'm really planning on using it as my base malt in just about everything. I really don't care how true to a style I stay. If I have to make up a new name for something thats what I'll do. I can't see calling a hoppy black beer an IPA but I could see calling it a Black Indian Ale. I just want to drink good beer.

If everyone agrees that this recipe should turn out pretty good then I'll make it. Looks ok to me but I really don't have a clue about esbs. Seems similar to an IPA really...just with different kinds of hops. And no dry hops.

I need more instruction about what temp to mash and how long to mash/boil though.

Golden promise i believe. Ive never used it. But it should make a great base for any english style. Most brewers/breweries find a base malt they like and build most of their beers around it. I use 2- row... everything starts with 2-row for me. If it doesnt have 2-row i probably didnt brew it ;)

I like 2-row because of it light color, i'm not sure of the grain color for golden, but as the name implies im sure its a light straw also.

I would crush some and mash it in a bowl of hot water for an hour to ger an idea of the flavor and color... but thats just me.

And yeah, that recipe that lothos posted would be good, with or without the mo in it.
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

id mash at 152Deg 90 min sparge with 170 deg water boil wort 60 min

90 min conversion rest at 152 might be a little long, id use an iodine test and raise to mash out temps as soon as you reach full conversion, unless you are looking for dry.

Otherwise agreed.
  • ThymThym
    Flavor: Medium-high to medium bitterness with supporting malt flavors evident. Normally has a moderately low to somewhat strong caramelly malt sweetness. Hop flavor moderate to moderately high (any variety, although earthy, resiny, and/or floral UK hops are most traditional). Hop bitterness and flavor should be noticeable, but should not totally dominate malt flavors. May have low levels of secondary malt flavors (e.g., nutty, biscuity) adding complexity. Moderately-low to high fruity esters. Optionally may have low amounts of alcohol, and up to a moderate minerally/sulfury flavor. Medium-dry to dry finish(particularlyifsulfate water is used). Generally no diacetyl, although very low levels are allowed.
  • ceanntceannt
    ESB is one of my favorite styles.....
    I would use the MO..... save the Golden Promise for a Wee Heavy....

Were it me..... I would go for something like this for a 5-gallon batch:

9.5-10-pounds MO
    0.75-pounds Crystal 60 (seems like a lot, but you want the un-fermentables)
    1-oz. Chocolate Malt

Go with the Willamette.... unless you can come across some EKG.....

either first wort hop or go with:
    2-oz. 60-min.
    1-oz. 5-min.
    depending on the AA..... shoot for an IBU of around 50. But I tend to add more late addition than traditional, but that's how I roll....

forget what you listed for yeast..... S-04 is good.

Single infusion mash at 154-155 for 1-hour.... (you want some body)
    batch sparge twice at 170.
    Careful when you dough in.... MO tends to clump...... worth it though.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    I havent had an ESB since i was .... a lot younger.... and i tried a red hook... i really found nothing enjoyable about that beer.
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

I havent had an ESB since i was .... a lot younger.... and i tried a red hook... i really found nothing enjoyable about that beer.

Right there with ya on that Lake cant stand them same with sour beers or scotch beers
    just cant do them
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    Red Hook is not the best example.......... not by a long shot. It's kind of a "dumbed down" version...
    I'll agree with you on the sour beers..... I'm not a fan.
    I love the "scotch beers" though...... Traquair House Ale is on my top 5 best beers list.... and I adore Belhaven.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Red Hook is not the best example.......... not by a long shot. It's kind of a "dumbed down" version...
    I'll agree with you on the sour beers..... I'm not a fan.
    I love the "scotch beers" though...... Traquair House Ale is on my top 5 best beers list.... and I adore Belhaven.

yes and yes.
  • jlwjlw
    Although Redhook was possibly the beer responsible for opening the door to IPA's.
    I'm really not so sure I want to do an ESB...I've never had one plus bitter isn't my thing unless its a hoppy bitter kind of IPA. I didn't get to brew today so I'm going to brew 2 beers tomorrow and mill the grain tonight. I really think I'd rather do a porter or a dry stout tomorrow. Along with the Black IIPA that I'm gonna do...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    esb isn't all that bitter, despite the name. they're a very well balanced beer. i do love a good porter or dry stout, though.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake

esb isn't all that bitter, despite the name. they're a very well balanced beer. i do love a good porter or dry stout, though.

Can I make a dry stout with that? I'm willing to add anything I have or can get at krogers. I have home made molasses and corn sugar.
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Right there with ya on that Lake cant stand them same with sour beers or scotch beers
    just cant do them

This is not comforting since you are the original recipe poster... I think I should go with another style until I find an ESB to drink. I really dont want to put in the time for 5 gallons of beer that I don't care for.

When I find it I will revive this thread. Thanks everyone for participating.
  • ThymThym

Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

just cant do them

This is not comforting since you are the original recipe poster... I think I should go with another style until I find an ESB to drink. I really dont want to put in the time for 5 gallons of beer that I don't care for.

When I find it I will revive this thread. Thanks everyone for participating.

One of the things about brewing is that you dont really have like or even be particularly familiar with a style to know the bjcp guidelines+a little history and be able to build a very good recipe to match the style. I had never even seen, let alone tasted, a chocolate raspberry stout when i thought of the name and decided to make it. I read up on some commercial examples, read the appropriate style guides, then just created a recipe. It was spectacular...

But if you're not feelin it, theres no reason to make it. Just dont worry if someone gices you a recipe and says they arent a fan of the style... then again, given the option you probably could focus on the recipe from the guy who said it was his favorite style...
  • jlwjlw
    Similar to Lake, I had only had one Saison in my life but knew it would be a good summer beer. I read up on the history, read the bjcp guidlines and then read up on a few commercial examples. I decided I wanted to make a very tradiotional saison and that formed my base. It turned out awesome.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Can I make a dry stout with that? I'm willing to add anything I have or can get at krogers. I have home made molasses and corn sugar.

you definitely need roasted malt for a dry stout. just toast the crap out of some 2 row in the oven. i'd bet money that if you toasted it nice and slow until you get it nice and dark, it would taste pretty close to the real stuff.

you definitely need roasted malt for a dry stout. just toast the crap out of some 2 row in the oven. i'd bet money that if you toasted it nice and slow until you get it nice and dark, it would taste pretty close to the real stuff.

I toasted some in the oven for what I did yesterday. It almost smelled like burned popcorn though. But the wort tasted great. No burned taste at all.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I toasted some in the oven for what I did yesterday. It almost smelled like burned popcorn though. But the wort tasted great. No burned taste at all.

cool. keep us updated.