Flyfisherwes' Light IPA
  • ThymThym
    This was split from an off topic discussion.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    I want something kinda light dry and maybe citrusy/floral.

HOP AA%
    columbus 12.8
    Magnum 11.6
    Cascade 6.6
    willamette 6
    Tettnanger 4
    Magnum 11.6
    cascade leaf 8.8
    crystal leaf 3.3

Galena 13.2
    Nuggett 12.4
    Colombus 13.3
    Summit 15.5
    Warrior 16
    Willamette 4

My malts:

Two Row
    Marris Otter
    Crystal 60
    Crystal 120
    Vienna
    Aromatic
    Victory
    Unmalted Wheat

I only have about 26oz of corn sugar...
    And I want about the lowest IBU value to consider it an IPA.
    My other ones are 60ish and 80ish IBU....
  • ThymThym

I want something kinda light dry and maybe citrusy/floral.

HOP AA%
    columbus 12.8
    Magnum 11.6
    Cascade 6.6
    willamette 6
    Tettnanger 4
    Magnum 11.6
    cascade leaf 8.8
    crystal leaf 3.3

Galena 13.2
    Nuggett 12.4
    Colombus 13.3
    Summit 15.5
    Warrior 16
    Willamette 4

My malts:

Two Row
    Marris Otter
    Crystal 60
    Crystal 120
    Vienna
    Aromatic
    Victory
    Unmalted Wheat

When you say light, do you mean 5% abv? More or less? I assume color wise you want to shoot for light color also. I would shoot for a solid mouthfeel though since everything else it cut back
  • ThymThym

My other ones are 60ish and 80ish IBU....

I wouldnt go below 40 ibu, but i would pick up moat of it with late additions because a light beer is goong to show astringency easy.
  • ThymThym
    give me a few minutes, I'll pull something together as a starting point
    I figured 40-45 with late additions. I can't find this wicked angel you speak of.
  • ThymThym
    5 gals?
    so far Ive only used cascade colombus magnum chinook and a little crystal for aroma in my AG beers...
    Lakewood said:

5 gals?

yeah... I'm doin BIAB and I use this special calculator thing I found (its an excel spreadsheet) to calculate how much stuff I need to hit my gravities and IBUs. So far as long as I get close on the efficiency I put in it has accurately converted all the recipes. I just need the proportions of grains and the OG and I should be good. As well as the hop schedule... it converts it too...
  • ThymThym
    Name Amount (lbs) Bill % SRMg (Grain)
    American 2-Row Barley 7.5 93% 3
    Carastan (Crystal), 15 0.5 6% 15
    Wheat Malt (GWM) 0.1 1% 3

Post Boil Fermentable Sugar Adjuncts Non-Fermentable Sugar Adjuncts
    Boil Additions
    Name Alpha Acid Content Amount (oz) Boil Time IBU Contribution
    Columbus 12.8% 0.3 60 10.7
    magnum 11.6% 0.2 60 5.8
    Cascade (U.S.) 6.6% 0.8 30 12.7
    Cascade (U.S.) 6.6% 1.0 1 0.9
    Willamette 6.0% 2.0 1 1.7
    Other Adjuncts

Key Parameters
    Boil Gravity 1.041
    SGs 1.054
    SGf 1.012
    SRMb 5
    IBU 44.6
    % ABV (Miller) 5.60%
  • ThymThym
    in excel format
    flyfishIPA.xlsm
    Lakewood said:

Carastan (Crystal), 15 0.5 6% 15

Post Boil Fermentable Sugar Adjuncts Non-Fermentable Sugar Adjuncts
    Boil Additions
    Name Alpha Acid Content Amount (oz) Boil Time IBU Contribution
    Columbus 12.8% 0.3 60 10.7
    magnum 11.6% 0.2 60 5.8
    Cascade (U.S.) 6.6% 1.0 1 0.9
    Willamette 6.0% 2.0 1 1.7
    Other Adjuncts

Key Parameters
    Boil Gravity 1.041
    SGs 1.054
    SGf 1.012
    SRMb 5
    IBU 44.6
    % ABV (Miller) 5.60%

that sounds ok
    what do i do about that crystal with me only having crystal 60 and crystal 120?
  • ThymThym

oh, sorry let me correct for using the 60.
  • ThymThym
    Lakewood said:

oh, sorry let me correct for using the 60.

i would just swap the 60 in for the 15, it darkens it from an SRM 5 to 7.5 but unless you are really nailing the light colors, you won't see a difference. and dropping the amount with have a detrimental effect on flavor IMHO
  • ThymThym
    Primary Grains, Malts and Boil Adjuncts
    Crystal 60 0.5 6% 60

Key Parameters
    Boil Gravity 1.040
    SGs 1.054
    SGf 1.012
    SRMb 8
    IBU 44.7
    % ABV (Miller) 5.57%
  • ThymThym
    that should be pretty tastey
    Lakewood said:

Crystal 60 0.5 6% 60

Key Parameters
    Boil Gravity 1.040
    SGs 1.054
    SGf 1.012
    SRMb 8
    IBU 44.7
    % ABV (Miller) 5.57%

What would happen if I upped the wheat to half a pound? I've been doing this recently to get good head.
    I have some rye and crystal 10 coming soon. It should be here friday. I plan on doing a rye IPA as well. I love hops.. haha
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Crystal 60 0.5 6% 60

Key Parameters
    Boil Gravity 1.040
    SGs 1.054
    SGf 1.012
    SRMb 8
    IBU 44.7
    % ABV (Miller) 5.57%

What would happen if I upped the wheat to half a pound? I've been doing this recently to get good head.

i have the wheat in there for head retention. I don't think putting more than 1-2% of the bill is really required. but leaving all else equal it will boost gravity to about 1.056
  • ThymThym
    which gets you an ABV of 5.8
    will it change the flavor? I really have a lot of unmalted wheat to get rid of....
  • ThymThym

will it change the flavor? I really have a lot of unmalted wheat to get rid of....

i think if you over do it with wheat it will start getting creamy in mouth feel, and to me it mkes me respond to it as being less dry and definitely not crisp. if i want dry/crisp i try to only put enough wheat in to get the head retention
  • ThymThym

you could do an american wheat...
  • ThymThym
    but i don't associate dry with american wheat
    Lakewood said:

i think if you over do it with wheat it will start getting creamy in mouth feel, and to me it mkes me respond to it as being less dry and definitely not crisp. if i want dry/crisp i try to only put enough wheat in to get the head retention

solid answer. I'll go with the minimum then. Could I add some corn sugar to boost it to about 6%? I know I said I was trying to keep it low but 6% is low to me... then I'd have a 6 a 7 and an 8...
    plus that would make it crisp right?
    I'm really just trying to learn now. I'll prolly go with the original recipe you gave me.
    And at what temp am I gonna have to mash?
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

solid answer. I'll go with the minimum then. Could I add some corn sugar to boost it to about 6%? I know I said I was trying to keep it low but 6% is low to me... then I'd have a 6 a 7 and an 8...

as it is this is pretty balanced on corn sugar. about 1.5 pounds which by weight is 15%. you could go a little higher, use up all of the sugar you have. you said something like 1.6 pounds?
  • ThymThym

And at what temp am I gonna have to mash?

and 1.625 lbs of corn sugar will put you at 6% even
    what do you mean as it is it is balanced on corn sugar? I'll use ever how much of it. Will this impact the flavor much?
  • ThymThym

what do you mean as it is it is balanced on corn sugar? I'll use ever how much of it. Will this impact the flavor much?

i mean balanced in terms of 15-20% by weight is a good amount, it's produces crisp and dry, without being tasteless, cidery or hot.
    so all that stuff. mash at 145 for 60 min? I have been doing a 170F for 10 min mashout... Do I still do this or do I lower the temp or something to keep it super dry?

The mashing is what I'm just figuring out. I have brewed 4 AG brews BIAB and just bottled the first one today. So I have a lot to figure out. I did extract before so I am just figuring out how valuable being able to vary the mash temp is.
  • ThymThym

so all that stuff. mash at 145 for 60 min? I have been doing a 170F for 10 min mashout... Do I still do this or do I lower the temp or something to keep it super dry?

The mashing is what I'm just figuring out. I have brewed 4 AG brews BIAB and just bottled the first one today. So I have a lot to figure out. I did extract before so I am just figuring out how valuable being able to vary the mash temp is.

mash at 145 for as long as it takes to get a complete conversion. usually about 90 minutes for me. use the iodine test to check for completion. Mash out at 170 like normal.
    Lakewood said:

mash at 145 for as long as it takes to get a complete conversion. usually about 90 minutes for me. use the iodine test to check for completion. Mash out at 170 like normal.

I don't know what this iodine test is. Think I'm safe to just do a 90 min? I've been doing 60-90 with 76-84% effeciency depending on the SG.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

I don't know what this iodine test is. Think I'm safe to just do a 90 min? I've been doing 60-90 with 76-84% effeciency depending on the SG.

iodine test http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/25#Item_1
  • ThymThym
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

iodine test http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/25#Item_1

that's the way i do it. others perform the test by mixing the two on the tip of a piece of white chalk.
    Its my bedtime. But one last question. Is this beer a good candidate for dry hopping as well? And what would you use?
  • ThymThym

Its my bedtime. But one last question. Is this beer a good candidate for dry hopping as well? And what would you use?

definitely. probably hit it with a few ounces of cascade or anything else the smells yummy.
    welp I made it. I made it to be OG 1.06 though.
  • ThymThym
    You'll have to post some tasting notes when its pouring.
    I definitely will. I have a feeling I will have to come up with a name for the recipe that I used the cake from too and post it on here. It was good today and I was just putting it into secondary and dry hopping.
    So this is already down to 1.012..... dry hop time?

I'm gonna warm it up to around 70 ish tonight and check it agian tomorrow evening. then if it doesnt do anything at all I'll just check it again and dry hop it in secondary on Wednesday.
  • ThymThym

The dry finishing beers have a lot of simple sugar so they ferment fast. Give it a few days to let the yeast clean up amd you should be golden.
    took the first sip today.... friday will make 2 weeks in the bottle. I dry hopped with 1 oz cascade. I stuck one in the fridge this morning and just cracked it. Its pretty good. And just what I wanted out of this. I mean its still a bit green and it will do well with a few weeks or more in the fridge... but its just what I wanted. Its light flavored and not too bitter. Should be perfect once summer gets here. I may end up tweaking the recipe some once I get to know it in its full potential. But its good. Thanks for all the help. I'll post more tasting notes in the coming weeks.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

took the first sip today.... friday will make 2 weeks in the bottle. I dry hopped with 1 oz cascade. I stuck one in the fridge this morning and just cracked it. Its pretty good. And just what I wanted out of this. I mean its still a bit green and it will do well with a few weeks or more in the fridge... but its just what I wanted. Its light flavored and not too bitter. Should be perfect once summer gets here. I may end up tweaking the recipe some once I get to know it in its full potential. But its good. Thanks for all the help. I'll post more tasting notes in the coming weeks.

triple the dry hop!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    oh, and pics!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
    Yeah. I would suggest at least doubling the dry hop. or maybe go half cascade half crystal. and go to 3 oz. but either way it needed more. I will post pics and taste notes in a month when it clears up and gets good. I really feel like kegging would help my beer as far as clarity goes. it gets really cloudy as soon as I bottle with the new sugar and doesn't seem to want to clear after.
  • jlwjlw
    Glad to hear this turned out so well. My first couple attempts at light IPA's weren;t as succesful.
    Dry IPA.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M

jlw
  • ThymThym
    That looks great
    its been in the fridge for a few weeks now.
  • ThymThym

its been in the fridge for a few weeks now.

Yum
  • C_BC_B
    I'm looking for something just like this for my inaugural run on the 15.5 mash tun.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    I have been looking for ideas on a session-able IPA, perhaps this is the one I try first
    Jesus didn't wear pants