Keg UDS
  • BenSBenS
    My keg UDSimage
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenSBenS
    Materials used:
    1 sanke keg w/ rubber handles
    1 dial thermometer
    4 ft aluminum tape
    3 12" weber grill grates
    6 3/4" long bolts and nuts

I cut the keg on the tallest ridge that transverses the keg. Then I took out the spear and removed the ball and spring from the spear. I then jb welded the hollow spear upside down onto the top of the spear opening to create a smoke stack.

I also installed the thermometer by drilling a small hole in the top of the lid for the probe. I measured the accuracy of the dial thermometer with a digital thermometer at grill(meat) level and found that it is surprisingly accurate.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenSBenS
    I measured 1" down from the cut on the bottom portion and drilled 3 holes for my bolts to go through for the grilling platform. Then I measured 7" down from the previous holes and drilled 3 more holes for bolts to support my drip pan platform or a lower grilling platform if I want to sear meat.

I also drilling 3 holes close to the bottom of the lower portion of the keg for the coals and wood to get air intake.
    Picture 005 (Small).jpg
    640 x 480 - 72K
  • BenSBenS
    I then bent in the ridge on the bottom portion of the keg and bent out the top portion of the ridge so they would slide over top of each other.

I then wrapped each lip with aluminum tape to 1) protect people from the sharp edges and 2) to minimize heat loss through the gap.
    Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    640 x 480 - 37K
  • BenSBenS
    Then you simply add your grill grates and start your fire.
    The bottom grate simply rests on the circular shaped bottom of the keg. There is enough space for me to put a fire starter underneath the bottom grate and pile briquettes on top of the grate. After 20-30 min, I am ready to throw on a few chunks of wood and close everything up.

The meat grate goes above the drip pan and the lid must go on immediately to keep in heat.
    Picture 004 (Small).jpg
    640 x 480 - 74K
    Picture 003 (Small).jpg
    640 x 480 - 79K
    Picture 002 (Small).jpg
    640 x 480 - 86K
  • BenSBenS
    If you build it, they will come. My holiday smoked turkeys have been a hit this year with everyone that has tasted them. My wife says they are the best turkey she's ever had in her life, and I after making 4 this year, I can say they come out consistent.
  • BenSBenS
    I'll post a few pics of it in action in a few weeks.
  • C_BC_B
    This is awesome. And it looks easy to make.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenSBenS
    It is very awesome. I'm very happy with it. I don't know if I'd go out and pay a lot of money for a keg to do this, but I had a few extras laying around when I got the idea.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    similar setup on my uds. i'll post some pics if i'm ever home during sunlight hours.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenSBenS
    A chicken I smoked yesterday for dinner.
    Ride 001 (Medium).jpg
    800 x 600 - 104K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks delicious.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    here's my uds, the barrel was free, so why not?

DSC00293.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    DSC00294.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    DSC00295.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 2M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the magnet is to control the air inlet.
  • ThymThym
    where did the free drum come from?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

stole it from a hobo.

or i got it at work. either way
  • ThymThym
    Friggin hobos. They have all the cool stuff.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Lakewood said:

stole it from a hobo.

or i got it at work. either way

You work for hobos, cool!
    Lakewood said:

Friggin hobos. They have all the cool stuff.

Nothing cooler than a genuine hobo knife, hobo house box, or hobo shopping cart.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    I wonder where a non-hobo might acquire a barrel for free in southern california
  • LothosLothos
    i get them for $20.00 up here
    but i wouldnt cook in them
    we use them for burn barrels for house hold paper
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

i get them for $20.00 up here
    but i wouldnt cook in them
    we use them for burn barrels for house hold paper

where do you buy them for $20?
  • LothosLothos
    up here in redneck central Olalla wa

HA hA ha
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    i mean the type of place, like is it a chemical company or a food service company or is it literally a drum and barrel company?
  • ThymThym
    im trying to figure out if there is a company around here that has a similar line of business.
  • LothosLothos
    oh no there not clean by any means i wouldnt cook or smoke food of any kind in them here

just a burn barrel
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

oh no there not clean by any means i wouldnt cook or smoke food of any kind in them here

just a burn barrel

they're fine to use after you burn em out. fire is a great cleaner.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Lothos said:

just a burn barrel

this is true, but you would want to lay it on its side and build the fire there, that way all surfaces are exposed to max heat. a fire in the bottom of a barrel won't sanitize the whole thing, depending what kind of chemicals were in it
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lothos said:

just a burn barrel

this is true, but you would want to lay it on its side and build the fire there, that way all surfaces are exposed to max heat. a fire in the bottom of a barrel won't sanitize the whole thing, depending what kind of chemicals were in it

just build a really big fire. i had 6 foot flames coming out of the top of mine when i burned it out.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If you can find any food production companies near you that's a good start. They all use them, though you might end up with one that was used for concentrated sanitizer, that's still better than a lot of industrial chemicals.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio