Plastic Keg
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Anyone use or heard of plastic kegs? I saw them in use at a nano brewery in IN. They are cheap, $45 for a new 6g. Sanke type keg. One drawback, wrench to take out the valve is $275. Also, for some reason the keg website says they are not suitable for homebrew. I emailed to ask why, not heard back yet.
  • ThymThym
    Which vendor are you looking at? Most likely they say its not suitable for homebrew use due to differences in connections from typical hombrew use, specialized tools for maintenance and likely requires some extra care when cleaning sanitizing.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I'll check them out.
  • ThymThym
    aside from the fact that you will need the right equipment / processes to work with the sanke style valve/extractor these will work just fine in a home brewery.

unfortunately the cleaning of this type of keg should not be done by removal of the valve and spear assembly, you should use a steam and wash system, which is not going to be easy to come by.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I cleaned these with a nano brewery by disassembling them. We did water rinse, boil water wash, followed by star-San wash before filling. Apparently they have been doing that method for some time without issue.

They were waiting on a custom built cleaning majig that would simplify and streamline their keg washing.