Carboy, keg, bucket cleaner
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Anyone used these things? http://www.williamsbrewing.com/MARKS-KEG-CARBOY-WASHER-P3001C48.aspx

It looks like the greatest tool for someone like me who is lazy and wants to eliminate another step. It's around $65, ok price for someone lazy. Any idea if they work? I haven't shopped around, not sure who else sells them.
  • ThymThym
    ive often thought about building something like that. i dont think i would spend 40 on it though. but im cheap.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    and it says the price is 84...
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i too, am incredibly lazy, but that's just a rinser.
    if my thumbs get cut off in a terrible accident or something, maybe i'll think about it, but until then, the old thumb on the hose works for me, followed up with a spray bottle of star san.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    It says you put in sanitizer, let go for 20 minutes and meckaleckahi meckaheineyho, it's done.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

and it says the price is 84...

Yea, I looked back and your right, that is expensive. And yes Fry, thumbs are great.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So it's just a little pump that sprays water up from a little container, which then recirculates. I bet it has very little pressure, but works well because you can leave it running for 32hours (hard to do with a thumb over a hose). You could build something that does the same thing (but looks really ghetto) for about 25 bucks, with a small 120v pump, a little bit of hose, and a rubbermaid tub.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Now that I think about it more. A good overnight soak, and a quite spray down seems like less work than using that thing, and is cheaper.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    I'm inspired to build something. I put it together when i have some time... not a plentiful resource at this point. but a high flow pump for a saltwater aquarium should work well. I figure you want a good heater in there too.
  • BenSBenS
    This is a good idea. I might put together one this weekend. The only thing I might worry about is the krausen chunks clogging up the immersion pump.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    You can add some extra filtering to those pumps by rapping them in a green scrubby pad or a "Chore Boy", rubber bands work to hold them on.
    I just had the thought; if you were to put the carboy in a tub, facing up (opening at the top) and fill the carboy, and add a few inches of water/cleaner in the tub. You could put the pump in the bottom of the tub, with a hose going into the carboy. This would keep the water moving around and do a better job than just a soak.
    And as lake said; a aquarium heater would make it all work that much better.
    I don't think getting a really big pump would be necessary. A $20 one should be all you need, just to keep things moving.
    To get a good spray you'd need a high pressure pump which get expensive.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    how gross are you guys getting your carboys? mine just need a rinse and maybe a minute with a carboy brush. longest time is getting the water out of the carboy!
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I think this is designed for sanitizing, not cleaning. There are a number of low volume emitters for irrigation systems, one I am thinking of has a nozzle which sprays 360 deg. A hard plastic upright tube is available, typically installed in a flower bed to spray all plants around them. That connected to a submersible pump and in a tub of solution would work. I have a carboy drying stand that would work as a base to keep it upright.
  • BenvarineBenvarine

how gross are you guys getting your carboys? mine just need a rinse and maybe a minute with a carboy brush. longest time is getting the water out of the carboy!

Don't try to simplify this with thumbs and elbow grease. If something is worth doing, it's worth involving ridiculously complicated motors, pumps, and tubing and not to mention time better spent doing something on the honey-do list.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Benvarine said:

Don't try to simplify this with thumbs and elbow grease. If something is worth doing, it's worth involving ridiculously complicated motors, pumps, and tubing and not to mention time better spent doing something on the honey-do list.

Ha ha ha, yeah, it's always better to spend 8 hours making some equipment that will save 4 min.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

This.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B

It's always better to spend 8 hours making some equipment that will save 4 min.

I don't appreciate your attitude. That has a 120 cycle break even point. If I use one bucket, one carboy and one keg for each batch then this thing has made it worth my time in no more than 40 batches. :))
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

It's always better to spend 8 hours making some equipment that will save 4 min.

I don't appreciate your attitude. That has a 120 cycle break even point. If I use one bucket, one carboy and one keg for each batch then this thing has made it worth my time in no more than 40 batches. :))

That wasn't sarcasm, I really would rather spend far more time making a thing to improve my life in some small way.
    -Some guy in Ohio