does DMS age out?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i brewed my premium lager awhile ago and for whatever reason, it came out with a bunch of dimethyl sulfide present in it. its a corny/cerealy flavor (kind of like a helles) that tends to pop up in lighter beers without any real specialty grains , as i understand it. anyway, i hate that flavor and am very sensitive too it. i have never tasted a helles style without it. after 1.5 months in the keezer, its gone.
    i didn't think it would age out.
    thoughts?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i blame the yeast! what strain was it and what temps? i always get this from 34/70 at low temps (47F). it ages out after several weeks of lagering. no one else seems to taste it, but i always do.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    this was saflager s-23 (didn't it used to be called t-23 or am i nuts)
    only a few people even seemed to taste it, but i tasted it strong as hell. 3 weeks ago the wife quit tasting it. i could still taste it last week, but this week its gone. this is a month after kegging, it was strongest right after lagering.

temps were good i thought, one week at about 57 then 3 weeks lagering at 38. i realize this isn't exactly correct, but c'mon, we all know i half ass my beer.

i checked with some primo nerds i know and they said that, much like many other tastes, this is heavily genetic as to what degree you can notice it. pretty much exactly the same as hydrogen sulfide in ciders, some folks can't taste it, some only barely taste it (me) and some are incredibly sensitive (my wife)
    apparently on this one, wife and i are flip flopped.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    whoops! i missed dms in the first post. for some reason i saw sulfur. that's what i get in the saflager yeasts. i didn't think that dms was supposed to age out.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

i didn't think that dms was supposed to age out.

hence my confusion
  • ThymThym
    i've really never heard of it ageing out on it's own. Maybe it blended behind some other flavor?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    its as basic a recipe as exists. just 6 lbs dme, and enough hops to bring it to 20 ibus or so. that's it.

here is the recipe
    http://hopville.com/recipe/647679/premium-american-lager-recipes/mohrmanlobe
  • ThymThym
    did any other quality of the beer change during that time period?
  • FuzzyFuzzy

its as basic a recipe as exists. just 6 lbs dme, and enough hops to bring it to 20 ibus or so. that's it.

here is the recipe
    http://hopville.com/recipe/647679/premium-american-lager-recipes/mohrmanlobe

i don't see how you would even get dms from extract. all the dms precursors and more should have been removed in the drying process.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    nothing else changed, just the creamed corn flavor dropped out. it was a solid creamed corn flavor too. i can't imagine what else it could have been.
  • ThymThym

nothing else changed, just the creamed corn flavor dropped out. it was a solid creamed corn flavor too. i can't imagine what else it could have been.

weird...