Banana Bread Ale?
  • ThymThym
    @lothos Just saw your post in the the brewlog.... what's the banana bread ale? I'm really intrigued... Do you have tasting notes from a previous batch? Recipe?

Thanks!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Kind of makes me shudder..... my mother made a batch of bannana wine once...... the smell would knock a zombie off a pile of decomposing skunks.....
    I can only hope he didn't put any actual bannanas in it.....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    I reject your answer sir. And please note that your mother is an inspiration to us all.
  • scoobscoob
    I have made a banana nut beer before, I made a nut brown ale and fermented it with 3068 hefe yeast, turned out fantastic!!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

I have made a banana nut beer before, I made a nut brown ale and fermented it with 3068 hefe yeast, turned out fantastic!!

that sounds interesting. so you used the 3068 to get the bananaliciousness into a nut brown?
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

I reject your answer sir. And please note that your mother is an inspiration to us all.

hah! wasn't really an answer anyway......... AZ's sounds good.....

The old gal was amazing. Her gooseberry wine was stupendous... been wanting to do a gooseberry mead in her memory. I never did get her into all grain brewing though..... She kept trying to do a Pilsner with extract, I kept telling her she needed to do a decoction mash....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

The old gal was amazing. Her gooseberry wine was stupendous... been wanting to do a gooseberry mead in her memory. I never did get her into all grain brewing though..... She kept trying to do a Pilsner with extract, I kept telling her she needed to do a decoction mash....

yeah, you just cant do some styles justice with extract. others can be phenomenal.You just have to know the limitations.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

yeah, you just cant do some styles justice with extract. others can be phenomenal.You just have to know the limitations.

True fact. I did some extract beers back in the day that I would put up against any commercial example..... and a few that I would just rather not remember.....

The old gal even had a Lagering cave..... (root cellar) but I couldn't get her away from the "all grain phobia" that was so prevalent back in the '80s.
  • ThymThym
    It's pretty funny how big of a deal some people make of all-grain brewing, considering its at least as easy to make good beer from AG as it is from extract. Aside from taking a little longer I feel you can get a better quality product with AG, even if your methods and procedures aren't any better. Meaning if you areea very precise brewer you can make really good extract and probably great AG beers. If youre a little sloppy, you'll probably make passable extract beers, and pretty good AG.

That's just my opinion though.
  • ThymThym
    I wish I had a lagering cave.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the only reason i took so long to jump into all grain was the cost i thought it involved. i made the switch for less than $100. $60 of that was for my burner/kettle, which i should have been using on extract anyway. i thought i would need to drop hundreds. silly.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

It's pretty funny how big of a deal some people make of all-grain brewing, considering its at least as easy to make good beer from AG as it is from extract. Aside from taking a little longer I feel you can get a better quality product with AG, even if your methods and procedures aren't any better. Meaning if you areea very precise brewer you can make really good extract and probably great AG beers. If youre a little sloppy, you'll probably make passable extract beers, and pretty good AG.

That's just my opinion though.

yeah, what you said.

• ThymThym

the only reason i took so long to jump into all grain was the cost i thought it involved. i made the switch for less than $100. $60 of that was for my burner/kettle, which i should have been using on extract anyway. i thought i would need to drop hundreds. silly.

My first AG experience was an experiment I ran using the keggle I was using for extract batches. I ended up doing a brew in a bag, basically using the process in the simple biab thread. It was easy, and the beer was fantastic. It cost me all of $3 for the bag, and I saved more than that in the price difference between grain ant dme, so my first ag batch saved me money. I was hooked.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    for me its just the time thing. i brew a lot but if i were to always do AG, i don't see how i could brew as much, unless i was doing all 10 gal batches and that stuff.
    i do some AG, when time allows or the style just makes it a must. otherwise, i just use DME
  • ThymThym
    I quickly realized I couldn't keep up with demand brewing 5gal batches. I do everything 10 gallons at a time.
  • ceanntceannt
    If my spare refrig. hadn't died a horrible death.... I would do 10-gal batches....
    I was just getting ready to get the stuff to keg when it went out..... I aint bottling 10-gallons......
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

If my spare refrig. hadn't died a horrible death.... I would do 10-gal batches....
    I was just getting ready to get the stuff to keg when it went out..... I aint bottling 10-gallons......

mine died, but a friend had an old window air conditioning unit. I stuck that in the freezer with the back sticking out the front where the door used to be. sealed it up with foam insulation and it works like a charm.
  • ceanntceannt
    Very clever of you.......
    I'm just biding my time.... the old lady will eventually get tired of tripping over all the empty bottles on the utility room floor..... and have me pick up another fridge...... Craigs list can be a wonderful thing....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Very clever of you.......
    I'm just biding my time.... the old lady will eventually get tired of tripping over all the empty bottles on the utility room floor..... and have me pick up another fridge...... Craigs list can be a wonderful thing....

your devious plan is now public... hope your wife doesn't see it ;)