Does this look normal?
  • C_BC_B
    Oatmeal stout. It was in primary for two weeks. The basement cooled off so I brought it upstairs, checked the gravity (1.030!), racked it dirty to a carboy and set it in the livingroom where the temps are warmer. After a couple days it took off again and looked like this. I use buckets so i don't normally see fermentation in all its glory. I'll get another gravity sample in a day or two and give you all a little better timeline.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Another
    imagejpeg_2_6.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 948K
  • C_BC_B
    One more.
    imagejpeg_2_7.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 736K
  • BenSBenS
    The pics make the krausen residue look yellow but I would be willing to bet that because it's died down now, it was just your yeast finishing the beer up. Makes sense that you would have a high gravity before you brought it out of the cold and once you racked(stirred up the yeast) and warmed it up, the yeast finished it's job.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenSBenS
    That would also explain the cloudy look in the 2nd pic
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • scoobscoob
    Looks fooked, please add a bit of sugar to the bad batch, bottle as usual and send the offending bottles to me for proper disposal.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Looks fooked, please add a bit of sugar to the bad batch, bottle as usual and send the offending bottles to me for proper disposal.

HAHA

I'm with scoob ;)

No really, it's fine, and part of the yellowness of the krausen residue is likey because the beer is dark.

I've had beers that stalled before and the act of racking kicked everything back into high gear. Seems to help if you allow a little bit of aeration to occur, and since you have a lot of head space in that carboy, im thinking that happened here.

Anyway, check the gravity, bet it dropped a fair bit..

you can still send a bottle or two to scoob and i for disposal.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    It's true no two krausens are the same. Thanks for the reinforcement.
    I definitely need to check and accurately mark all of my carboys. I really have no idea which one is how much.
  • C_BC_B
    It is at 1.024. The hydro sample tasted decent, but I've never been good at judging warm flat beer.
  • jlwjlw
    Whew. At first I thought this was one of those rash threads.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Whew. At first I thought this was one of those rash threads.

Ha! And you looked!