Resurrection Graff
  • C_BC_B
    I call it resurrection graff because it's the first recipe I've pulled out of my early days and am going to try to recreate. I brewed this four years ago and loved it. I was also surprised that it was a pretty big hit. I suck at notes, so below is what I think I did based on the notes I have. I'll dig through the freezer and see what kind of seriously old hops are in there, but hops are really not the focal point so a little bit of anything for a little balance is all you really need.

I split the batch between two ale pales. My notes aren't good, so I'm assuming I finished with ~3 gallons of wort to add to the apple juice giving me 5.5 gallons in each bucket.

1lb Crystal 120L
    3lbs Sparkling Amber DME
    3lbs Golden Light DME
    3lbs Brown sugar

1oz Mt Hood 5.5%AA 60 min
    8 gallons (super cheap) apple juice. (no preservatives, just asorbic acid)
    Champagne yeast in one bucket and Notty in the other

**Full disclosure here folks, I did this very early in my home brewing adventure and my notes suck. So the processes are a little whacked and there are some items that don't really make sense. This is halfway between brewing beer and making hooch.**

Drop the crystal in when you first start heating the water, take it out when the water hits 170. Rinse the grains a bit and toss. That's the super lazy way. Alternatively you could steep around 155* for 20 minutes or so but that seems like work.
    Get the water close to boiling at add half the DME. After break drop the hops for 60 minutes. Around 15 minutes add the brown sugar and remaining DME. You could probably boil less time by not adding any DME until late, but I haven't done the calculation on that.

While the boil is going I put the apple juice in the fermenters so I was ready as soon as the boil was complete. No chill wort, dump it right into the juice. I refrigerated the juice prior and it came out pretty close to 65*.

This was pretty hot for 6 weeks or so. After 8 weeks it was tasty. I tad thin, but good aroma and a nice flavor.

I'm going to resurrect :-j this little guy so I can get something on tap and completely avoid all of my possibly tainted equipment. Since I only need 1.5 gallons of wort I'll cut the recipe in half and do it on the range. Also, I think I'm going to add an oz of torrified wheat, swap out the Sparkling light DME for regular ol' Amber DME and cut the brown sugar by a third.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Why cut the brown sugar? You'll lose points and body
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Why cut the brown sugar? You'll lose points and body

I want it to turn around faster. It needs the body though. Maybe I'll cut it by a third. I don't have a lot of experience with brown sugar, I thought it tended to dry the beer out?
  • ThymThym
    To me the molasses in brown sugar (real brown sugar not bullshit light brown sugar from the dollar store) adds a tart sweetness that adds fullness to the mouth. Pure corn sugar with dry out a beer and turn it into hooch
  • C_BC_B
    I agree with that logic. I'll scale down the brown sugar to the smaller batch size and drop points somewhere else if needed. I'd like this to be in the 6.5% range.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    I think it's funny that your notes were worse at the beginning. My early notes were ridiculous. Wind direction and speed, outside temp, temp of mash every 2 minutes....

Ok, not that specific, but still.

This sounds delicious. Send me some when you're done and I'll send you positive vibes.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• JayrizzleJayrizzle
    My notes where scraps of paper I lost and stepped down to scribbles on junk mail and then I stopped...

brewing.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    I think I'll use Cotes de Blanc on this one. I have a bunch of it and I like how it leaves the finished product a little dirty. It doesn't strip all flavor and sweetness out like a champagne yeast would.
  • C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

I think it's funny that your notes were worse at the beginning. My early notes were ridiculous. Wind direction and speed, outside temp, temp of mash every 2 minutes....

Ok, not that specific, but still.

This sounds delicious. Send me some when you're done and I'll send you positive vibes.

I took notes early, they were just bad notes. I didn't know what to notate. Like wind direction, I was worried about that and forgot to set the timer so I ended up boiling 5 more minutes. Stuff like that.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

My notes where scraps of paper I lost and stepped down to scribbles on junk mail .

pretty much this. it's all lost now. at least now i usually have a copy of the recipe on brewtoad.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

I think I'll use Cotes de Blanc on this one. I have a bunch of it and I like how it leaves the finished product a little dirty. It doesn't strip all flavor and sweetness out like a champagne yeast would.

just do it already, you tool!

and i like danstar-windsor yeast for these.
  • ceanntceannt
    S-04 works real good too
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Brewed.

8oz Crystal 120L
    1oz Torrified Wheat
    3lbs Sparkling Amber DME
    2lbs Brown sugar

1oz Centennial 8.7%AA 15 min (really really old)
    4 gallons (super cheap) apple juice. (no preservatives, just asorbic acid)
    Cotes De Blanc yeast
  • C_BC_B
    She's just a bubblin' away. I'd say the yeast was fine. A double pitch might have been more like a quadruple pitch. I'm sure it'll be fine.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

She's just a bubblin' away. I'd say the yeast was fine. A double pitch might have been more like a quadruple pitch. I'm sure it'll be fine.

The more the better. You cant overpitch.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

not with wine yeast, anyway.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Untrue, but it would require so much yeast that it causes heat problems.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    So, six months isn't too long to primary. Right? I'm kegging this now. It doesn't taste hateful. Warm and flat it is still a little hot. But I have NEVER been able to translate warm/flat flavors to cold/carbed flavors.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

So, six months isn't too long to primary. Right? I'm kegging this now. It doesn't taste hateful. Warm and flat it is still a little hot. But I have NEVER been able to translate warm/flat flavors to cold/carbed flavors.

The flavors change substantially. Hopefully it tastes good and will be worth the wait.
  • C_BC_B
    Change substantially in primary vs secondary or bright tank/kegged?

It's basically apple hooch, so I'm not looking for a complex flavor profile.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Warm/flat to cold and carbed.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Warm/flat to cold and carbed.

Oh right, yes they certainly do.