Carbonation Issue
  • jlwjlw
    I kegged my Alt beer straight out of primary after 6 weeks (in primary) two weeks ago. Sealed it with the CO2, cranked the pressure to about 20-22psi, laid it on its side and rocked back and forth for 5 min just like always. Cranked PSI's down to 9/10, went to pour the first beer, released some of the pressure and got almost a gusher. Thought it was just the first pour. It's been two weeks and every pour is a high pressure pour with lots of foam.

Any ideas what the problem is? Could it be because I kegged off primary (oh, because I'm effing lazy)? I recently replaced the beer line with the same size and it has been fine before.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    disconnect the gas and bleed off almost all the pressure, then see how it pours. if it's still foamy, you might have some debris somewhere between the dip tube and the faucet.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Could be the bottle bomb infection. That's all I can think of....unless there is some stupid amount of protein in the beer.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

disconnect the gas and bleed off almost all the pressure, then see how it pours. if it's still foamy, you might have some debris somewhere between the dip tube and the faucet.

Do this, try to pour a glass at 2-3 psi after bleeding pressure. If it foams there is likely debris or possibly a pin hole in the dip tube above the liquid level.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Debris is likely. Does it pour fast? Or just foamy?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Both
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Yeah, try bleeding the pressure off and leaving it overnight. Then pour in the morning (without turning the gas to it) and see how it pours. That'll show if it's just really over carbed if it pours fast and foamy without anything but it's own pressure. If it's over carbed, leave the valve cracked for a few days, give it a few pounds and try again.

Debris is possible, but all my years of legging and laziness, I never ran into that not causing a blockage and crazy slow delivery.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Both

Well, if you bleed off the pressure does it climb right back up?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Both

Well, if you bleed off the pressure does it climb right back up?

This is important.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B