Good Price on Cornie Kegs
  • ThymThym
    This discussion was created from comments split from another thread.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenSBenS
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Shipping is a lot from cali
  • djsethalldjsethall
    And I need like 20 kegs
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

don't buy garbage.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

BenS said:

don't buy garbage.

They're used kegs. As long as they hold pressure and I can sanitize them, they aren't garbage.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

don't buy garbage.

They're used kegs. As long as they hold pressure and I can sanitize them, they aren't garbage.

once the handles start coming apart they will fall off soon. Once the last handle starts to disbond, you'll have a hell of a time moving around those kegs.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

don't buy garbage.

once the handles start coming apart they will fall off soon. Once the last handle starts to disbond, you'll have a hell of a time moving around those kegs.

Never thought of that. Thanks for the insight.
  • ThymThym
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

I was just looking at those. $25 is still pretty cheap nowadays.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

don't buy garbage.

once the handles start coming apart they will fall off soon. you'll have a hell of a time moving around those kegs.

i have one that is starting to come apart. im going to epoxy that thing back on before it tears
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

I was just looking at those. $25 is still pretty cheap nowadays.

yeah thats a great price. the pictured one is a little beat up, but not too bad. I have two of that style (bought locally) and they work nice. a little harder to manage, you can't set it upside down to drain and you can't stack them at all
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

BenS said:

don't buy garbage.

once the handles start coming apart they will fall off soon. you'll have a hell of a time moving around those kegs.

i have one that is starting to come apart. im going to epoxy that thing back on before it tears

Epoxy or JB weld. Can never go wrong with JB weld. Unless you want to remove it someday.
  • ThymThym
    never want to remove the rubber handles. im thinking JBWeld would be to rigid. The kegs expand significantly when pressurized. you'd likely disbond pretty quick due to internal stresses from the difference in Young's modulus between the two materials and the stress risers from thickness changes. A flexible epoxy or polyurethane adhesive would likely work better. I'll let you know what I find.
  • C_BC_B
    I generally find slammin deals on Craigslist. They come and go, but there usually is a doozie.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

never want to remove the rubber handles. im thinking JBWeld would be to rigid. The kegs expand significantly when pressurized. you'd likely disbond pretty quick due to internal stresses from the difference in Young's modulus between the two materials and the stress risers from thickness changes. A flexible epoxy or polyurethane adhesive would likely work better. I'll let you know what I find.

I bet JB weld would work, simply because I doubt you are getting that much steel expansion due to the geometry of the keg. Flexes a lot in the middle, not so much on the convex ends based on the simple equations for cylindrical and spherical pressure vessels.

Cylindrical : stress = (pressure)(radius)/(thickness of steel)
    Spherical : stress = (pressure)(radius)/(2 x thickness of steel)

Of course, the ends of a keg are probably not exactly spherical, but my intuition makes me think that the steel will not flex nearly enough to break the weld. Especially when you consider that we are only loading the keg with 30-40psi max. I think the weight of a full keg when picked up will equal more stress on the epoxied/welded area than when pressurized. Of course, I am also wrong a lot.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

I bet JB weld would work, simply because I doubt you are getting that much steel expansion due to the geometry of the keg. Flexes a lot in the middle, not so much on the convex ends based on the simple equations for cylindrical and spherical pressure vessels.

Of course, the ends of a keg are probably not exactly spherical, but my intuition makes me think that the steel will not flex nearly enough to break the weld. Especially when you consider that we are only loading the keg with 30-40psi max. I think the weight of a full keg when picked up will equal more stress on the epoxied/welded area than when pressurized. Of course, I am also wrong a lot.

I'll measure the radial expansion as well as the longitudinal expansion from the bend to the top of the keg next time I have a chance. They are far from spherical.
  • ThymThym
    BenS said:

Lakewood said:

I'll measure the radial expansion as well as the longitudinal expansion from the bend to the top of the keg next time I have a chance. They are far from spherical.
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

BenS said:

Lakewood said:

Cool. I wonder how you would determine the stress factor of an oval or oblong shape as compared to a cylindrical shape. (ie, instead of a .5:1 for sphere:cylinder, a X:1 for a oval:cylinder) This is all very interesting and academic of course.
  • ThymThym
    I would just model it and run an FEA. :)
  • BenSBenS
    Lakewood said:

I would just model it and run an FEA. :)

That's actually not a bad idea, but seems like something, someone should be paying me for. Besides, I don't have ANSYS on the home computer.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I just saw these on their site. for people with little space

Skinny CO2 Tank
  • ThymThym
    I drilled a hole in my fridge and have the gas run in through the back. It allowed me to get a whole 'nother keg in there. the fridge can hold 6 5 gallon ball lock cornies!
  • ThymThym
    i installed a gas manifold inside the fridge, so it's only one line running in.