Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
    Estimated Color: 16.4 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 28.9 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.5 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
    8 lbs 8.0 oz          Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         1        87.2 %       
    1 lbs                 Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                Grain         2        10.3 %       
    4.0 oz                Carafa II (412.0 SRM)                    Grain         3        2.6 %        
    1.75 oz               Spalter [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           4        28.9 IBUs    
    1.0 pkg               German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [ Yeast         5        -            

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
    Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 12.0 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time    
    Protein Rest      Add 20.50 qt of water at 126.3 F        122.0 F       35 min       
    Saccharification  Decoct 8.37 qt of mash and boil it      154.0 F       45 min       
    Mash Out          Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min             168.0 F       10 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.22 gal water at 168.0 F
  • jlwjlw
    I think I will brew this beer tomorrow.

@ceannt or @FromZwolle you guys are more experts in this genre than I am. This beer has always turned out pretty good. Any changes you would make to improve it?
  • jlwjlw
    I doubt I take the time to do a decoction. But maybe...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

I doubt I take the time to do a decoction. But maybe...

Do it!
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I think I will brew this beer tomorrow.

@ceannt or @FromZwolle you guys are more experts in this genre than I am. This beer has always turned out pretty good. Any changes you would make to improve it?

that's a hard question to answer. i could change it to what i like more, but that doesn't mean that it would be an improvement to you...

decoction, though. even just half of one when you're mashing out would do very nice things.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    if i was going to brew this for my personal tastes, i'd drop the wheat and replace it with caramunich or caravienne and use magnum for the hops.
  • jlwjlw

if i was going to brew this for my personal tastes, i'd drop the wheat and replace it with caramunich or caravienne and use magnum for the hops.

What's the difference if you drop the wheat and add the caramunich or caravienne? I hadn't thought about Magnum hops. I think when I built this I built it after a very traditional German recipe.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

What's the difference if you drop the wheat and add the caramunich or caravienne?

malty malty. ;)

jlw said:

I hadn't thought about Magnum hops. I think when I built this I built it after a very traditional German recipe.

i like magnum for malt forward beers, because you can get a bit more AA with less, and it's a nice clean bittering.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    caravienne-little bit of caramel/toffee/whatever with a nutty accent

caravienne-malty caramel/toffee munichy flavor.

either are very nice in a malty german beer.
  • jlwjlw

And thats what I'm looking for. I think you've sold me on this change. Would you do a 1 for 1 swap or how much would add?

Was the top one meant to be caramunich (caravienne-little bit of caramel/toffee/whatever with a nutty accent)?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

And thats what I'm looking for. I think you've sold me on this change. Would you do a 1 for 1 swap or how much would add?

Was the top one meant to be caramunich (caravienne-little bit of caramel/toffee/whatever with a nutty accent)?

my bad. the second one was caramunich. the caravienne is a little bit nuttier while the caramunich tastes just like what you'd expect caramel munich malt to taste like.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

jlw said:

What's the difference if you drop the wheat and add the caramunich or caravienne?

malty malty. ;)

jlw said:

I hadn't thought about Magnum hops. I think when I built this I built it after a very traditional German recipe.

i like magnum for malt forward beers, because you can get a bit more AA with less, and it's a nice clean bittering.

this.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    @ceannt might come in here and berate me for using caramel malts in a classic german style, but it tastes good to me, so i cheat.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

@ceannt might come in here and berate me for using caramel malts in a classic german style, but it tastes good to me, so i cheat.

You don't like 73hr brew days?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

no I won't.... but I wouldn't use more than a quarter pound, or it will be "sweet" not malty
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    my revisions are as follows....

drop the Munich to 7 pounds
    Lose the wheat!
    Add 3 pounds of Vienna
    0.25 pounds of caramunich
  • ceanntceannt
    Magnum would be great for a bittering addition.
    I would also add an ounce of Spalt at 5 minutes
    Fz will berate me for that, but it balances everything out, and gives a wonderful flavor profile
  • ceanntceannt
    a simple decoction to mash out will add a lot of depth...
    Pull it thick, with lots of grain, and boil for 20 minutes.
    It doesn't add a tremendous amount of time to your brewday, and really makes a difference
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Fz will berate me for that, but it balances everything out, and gives a wonderful flavor profile

not this time, since it's a personal preference thing. but the next time you try to put hops in the way of my malt, blamo!
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

not this time, since it's a personal preference thing. but the next time you try to put hops in the way of my malt, blamo!

Hahahaha.
    It really doesn't get in the way, and AltBiers used to have a lot more hops in them... I still keep the IBUs very low...
  • jlwjlw
    I'm going to trust you chumps.

How much magnum and how much spalt?
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

I'm going to trust you chumps.

How much magnum and how much spalt?

1 ounce of spalt for the 5 minute addition (5 gallon batch)

The Magnum depends in the AA. .. if it's up around 14 or 15, I would use a half ounce.
    Keep the IBU between say 35 and 45..
  • jlwjlw
    Protein rest right at 122
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • jlwjlw
    Single decoction.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • jlwjlw
    @ceannt. To raise the mash temp to 165 do I just boil a couple of gallons and add to the mash?

@fromzwolle
  • ceanntceannt
    Add it back a little at a time till you hit your target. Let the rest cool off to the target before you put it in.
  • jlwjlw
    Mash out.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M

C_B
  • jlwjlw
    Also mash out.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M

C_B
  • jlwjlw
    Surprisingly I hit all my numbers on first shot. I should go get a hooker.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

winning.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

winning.

Only at those three numbers.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

Sweet!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

@ceannt. To raise the mash temp to 165 do I just boil a couple of gallons and add to the mash?

@fromzwolle

ceannt said:

Add it back a little at a time till you hit your target. Let the rest cool off to the target before you put it in.

what he said.