Corks!
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split from: cider and mead questions.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Corks! Should I use synthetic for mead? The brewshop guy said so....
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_B said:

That's probably because the brewshop guy doesn't know how to properly use real corks.
    Truly, it doesn't matter much unless you plan on aging for a decade (like i do).
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

That's probably because the brewshop guy doesn't know how to properly use real corks.
    Truly, it doesn't matter much unless you plan on aging for a decade (like i do).

I don't PLAN to age it that long but who knows. What is the proper way to use regular corks?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

C_B said:

I don't PLAN to age it that long but who knows. What is the proper way to use regular corks?

you put it in the top of the bottle and tie it on with wire.

BenS
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

C_B said:

C_B said:

Then leave the bottle vertical for 3 weeks or so, after which put it on it's side and leave it the hell alone. Also, buy your corks new, open the package, use what you use, throw away the rest. Don't try to save real corks. It won't work.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_B said:

C_B said:

Then leave the bottle vertical for 3 weeks or so, after which put it on it's side and leave it the hell alone. Also, buy your corks new, open the package, use what you use, throw away the rest. Don't try to save real corks. It won't work.

this. dried up corks are useless. and mold likes corks too.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

C_B said:

Ah. Gotchya.
  • C_BC_B
    So if I buy 100 damn corks and need 30, I should throw the rest away? I feel like I should be able to keep the rest in a Food Saver vacuum sealed thingy? No?

Also, what's the deal with Oxidation? That's why the brewshop guy said I should use synthetic corks, because I wouldn't want more oxidation.
  • ThymThym
    Natural cork does breathe a bit. Well, so do the high end synthetics. Its only certian synthetics that wont breathe
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_B said:

So if I buy 100 damn corks and need 30, I should throw the rest away? I feel like I should be able to keep the rest in a Food Saver vacuum sealed thingy? No?

Also, what's the deal with Oxidation? That's why the brewshop guy said I should use synthetic corks, because I wouldn't want more oxidation.

if the wine is made right and properly sulfured, you want a tiny bit of oxidation. It makes the wine taste better.

Most synthetics are an air tight seal. You may as well just use a crown cap. Same thing but easier to open.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    if you only need 30 corks, buy a 50 pack.
    again, you can save them with a vacu seal bag or whatever, but you are running unnecessary risk. corks are cheap.