Skeeter Pee
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Anyone around here ever make Skeeter Pee? I've always been curious to try it, but never had a wine yeast cake available....until now.

I'll be using this recipe: http://skeeterpee.com/?page

Any advice, tips, learned lessons, etc would be appreciated.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• ThymThym
    I fermented lemonade once, but it was a random experiment to see what I would get. I didn't like the result. This recipe sounds promising though.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    I've never back sweetened before . That'll be exciting.

C_B

• ceanntceannt
    Yeah, most citrus kinda resembles vomit fermented....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    ceannt said:

Yeah, most citrus kinda resembles vomit fermented....

Well that's something to look forward to.

C_B

• ceanntceannt
    You have to buffer the acidity somehow... get the ph into a reasonable range for the yeasties
  • ceanntceannt
    @frydogbrews, any suggestions?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

lots and lots of time. After a year or two, but not before then, adjust pH out of the vomit zone. Really, you probably won't have to.
    Everyone said you can't ferment pineapple to a dry wine and it smelled like complete terror for a solid year....then one day it was delicious smelling. Same thing. I've fermented orange juice to prove this point. regular old stuff from the grocery store. It took a solid to years but was very good after that.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

You have to buffer the acidity somehow... get the ph into a reasonable range for the yeasties

nope.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i made this. it was ok. too lemony for me though.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i didn't backsweeten, because i don't like sweet stuff. it is nice mixed 50/50 with some iced tea, though.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    This stuff is not wine, it's hooch. But for the alcohol content and the 10 day fermentation time it is amazing drinkable, not good, just better than it should be.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Don't freeze concentrate this stuff. It makes it really bad.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

This stuff is not wine, it's hooch. But for the alcohol content and the 10 day fermentation time it is amazing drinkable, not good, just better than it should be.

give it more than ten days, you hobo!
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

give it more than ten days, you hobo!

No.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

Wow...I was looking at a quick turn around....of 3-4 months. You bottle it that quickly?

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat

ceannt said:

lots and lots of time. After a year or two, but not before then, adjust pH out of the vomit zone. Really, you probably won't have to.
    Everyone said you can't ferment pineapple to a dry wine and it smelled like complete terror for a solid year....then one day it was delicious smelling. Same thing. I've fermented orange juice to prove this point. regular old stuff from the grocery store. It took a solid to years but was very good after that.

Yeah, I'm not waiting that long.

C_B

• JayrizzleJayrizzle
    DrCurly said:

Wow...I was looking at a quick turn around....of 3-4 months. You bottle it that quickly?

DrCurly said:

ceannt said:

Ha!
    Yeah it's hootch not fine wine.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

ceannt said:

Ha!

I get that, but I don't want to be drinking cloudy, yeasty, stomach-gurgling, prison hooch.

C_B

• C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

ceannt said:

Ha!

I get that, but I don't want to be drinking cloudy, yeasty, stomach-gurgling, prison hooch.

Why not? It'll clean you out. Or clean everyone out of the room.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

ceannt said:

Ha!

Why not? It'll clean you out. Or clean everyone out of the room.

Or both.

C_B

• JayrizzleJayrizzle
    It clears fast. I mostly make it in one gal jugs so it's easy to cold crash, decant, cold crash again and then drink.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I made it once. I don't recall...
    Sign here______________________________
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

It clears fast. I mostly make it in one gal jugs so it's easy to cold crash, decant, cold crash again and then drink.

Gotcha.

C_B