Curly Accidentally brewed again! (Hound Nose Ale)
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    After about a year and half, I finally brewed again today. It was using old grains I had laying around, and I did it completely off-the-cuff with no real planning or calculating. The style is "beer."

The Recipe:

1# caramel malt (40l)
    4ish oz Chocolate malt
    6ish gallons of (yes gallons) american 2-row
    3oz US Golding (60m)
    1.8oz US Golding (5m)

Mashed 153ish F for 75 minutes

Batch sparge

WYeast 1272 American II (4L starter on stir plate)

Pics will follow.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Dude! You forgot to add the milk!!!
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Boiling the starter in the 'ol Erlenmyer.
    20150120_205954-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 1M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Mashing in.
    20150121_095723-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 2M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Close enough.
    20150121_095457-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 2M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Sparging.
    20150121_111513-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 1M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Yay for boil!
    20150121_120217-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 2M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Chillin'....
    20150121_131617-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 3M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Pouring whole yeast starter in (didn't plan ahead enough to let the yeast settle out).
    20150121_130636-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 2M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Now we let it do it's thing at about 65f.
    20150121_134148-1.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 2M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Oh yeah, Gravity sample:
    Gravity Sample.jpg
    3264 x 1836 - 1M

C_B

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    So, during the boil, I checked the gravity via a refractometer. It showed 18 brix (apx 1.075SG). That was higher than I wanted and the volume seemed a little low. So I added some more water. As you can see, I ended up at around 1.052SG, and around 12 gallons. That's a little lower than I wanted, but I don't care. It'll make a good daily-drinker which was my goal in the first place. I also recall having issues with trying to use the refractometer in the past. I sorta forgot about that, so I'll have to remember to stick with the hydrometer.

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat

Dude! You forgot to add the milk!!!

Shoot!

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    I should also point out, this is by far the most red-neck, non-precise brew I have ever done. Made it kinda fun. But the next one will be more carefully planned. I'll probably even buy water instead of using the hose.

C_B

• ThymThym
    DrCurly said:

I should also point out, this is by far the most red-neck, non-precise brew I have ever done. Made it kinda fun. But the next one will be more carefully planned. I'll probably even buy water instead of using the hose.

i always use the hose. and a filter.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    DrCurly said:

Yet less sloppy than any beer I've ever made...
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

What sort of filter do you use?

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat

DrCurly said:

Yet less sloppy than any beer I've ever made...

I believe this.

C_B

• N_ClarkN_Clark
    The batch I mad with al my leftover ingredients turned to be a a very nive drinkable pale ale style. Im glad i wrote it down in case I want to repeat it!
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    N_Clark said:

The batch I mad with al my leftover ingredients turned to be a a very nive drinkable pale ale style. Im glad i wrote it down in case I want to repeat it!

Do people repeat things?

C_B

• FuzzyFuzzy
    DrCurly said:

N_Clark said:

Do people repeat things?

the ones that brew more than thrice a decade do.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Just a home depot drinking water canister filter. I change it roughly once a year... So each time I brew. :( The water tastes good.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Just a home depot drinking water canister filter. I change it roughly once a year... So each time I brew. :( The water tastes good.

This makes me sad
  • jlwjlw
    I've read about people using an RV filter attachment for the hose.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I've read about people using an RV filter attachment for the hose.

that would work fine. i used a wall mount type and then just adapted it to a hose input.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Is there actually a noticeable difference? The water from my hose tastes just dandy anyway, but I swear I can taste a difference in the final product.

C_B

• FuzzyFuzzy
    DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Is there actually a noticeable difference? The water from my hose tastes just dandy anyway, but I swear I can taste a difference in the final product.

yes, depending on the filter used. it should remove some calcium carbonate. you wouldn't necessarily notice by tasting the water, but it affects mash chemistry and can alter the hop perception in the final beer.
  • ThymThym

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

yes, depending on the filter used. it should remove some calcium carbonate. you wouldn't necessarily notice by tasting the water, but it affects mash chemistry and can alter the hop perception in the final beer.

Yeah. Unfiltered the water results in pretty harsh beers. Filtered it comes out yummylicious
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Yeah. Unfiltered the water results in pretty harsh beers. Filtered it comes out yummylicious

I might just go back to RO water with a bit of additives.

C_B

• C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Huh. Maybe I should filter.

Or just make strawberry wine.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Ever pulled a report on your tap water? Mine varies from pretty damned soft to insanely hard depending on the season.

C_B

• FuzzyFuzzy
    DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Calter used. it should remove some calcium carbonate. you wouldn't necessarily notice by tasting the water, but it affects mash chemistry and can alter the hop perception in the final beer.

Ever pulled a report on your tap water? Mine varies from pretty damned soft to insanely hard depending on the season.

i get a water report every year. it tells me nothing of value. well, there aren't any radioactive isotopes, but who cares about that!

i have some test strips that i definitely didn't pilfer from work that measure CaCO3. my water is ridiculously hard, somewhere in the range of 350 ppm. i dilute with a % of de-ionized water that i also don't pilfer from work based on whatever style i'm brewing.
  • C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

No. I'm on a well. I should get it tested. It's Cray hard and lots of iron.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

I'm guessing iron is not a good flavor in beer.

C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Calter used. it should remove some calcium carbonate. you wouldn't necessarily notice by tasting the water, but it affects mash chemistry and can alter the hop perception in the final beer.

i get a water report every year. it tells me nothing of value. well, there aren't any radioactive isotopes, but who cares about that!

i have some test strips that i definitely didn't pilfer from work that measure CaCO3. my water is ridiculously hard, somewhere in the range of 350 ppm. i dilute with a % of de-ionized water that i also don't pilfer from work based on whatever style i'm brewing.

I should start definitely not pilfering from the lab at work....

C_B

• ThymThym
    DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Good guess
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Good guess

I remember a time when I knew stuff about things.

C_B

• C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Do it now before you get laid off!

CurlyFat
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

there's tons of good stuff here. now if only they wouldn't notice if equipment went missing...

i'd have a stir plate powerful enough to pull a vortex on a sanke...

8->

C_BCurlyFat
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Kegged it today. FG was 1.008. It tastes bland and is about 6%. If nothing else, it will be an easy drinker. I'm hoping a little carbonation will bring out some flavors.

C_B

• ThymThym
    DrCurly said:

Kegged it today. FG was 1.008. It tastes bland and is about 6%. If nothing else, it will be an easy drinker. I'm hoping a little carbonation will bring out some flavors.

usually does.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Lakewood said:

DrCurly said:

usually does.

Hopefully it's not off flavors that it brings out. I bet I still drink it either way.

C_B

• FuzzyFuzzy
    DrCurly said:

dry hop in the keg.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

DrCurly said:

dry hop in the keg.

That's an option. But it's a brown ale. But it doesn't taste very brown. Huh. Maybe.

C_B

• FuzzyFuzzy
    DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

dry hop in the keg.

That's an option. But it's a brown ale. But it doesn't taste very brown. Huh. Maybe.

oak.
  • C_BC_B

DrCurly said:

dry hop in the keg.

DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

dry hop in the keg.

oak.

BOTH!
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Carbonation woke it up a bit. It's like a good mild right now. Low carb, easy drinking, tastes clean (too clean to be a true mild). Basically, this is a homebrew that'll mess you up. I drank it all day with a buddy while brewing again. It goes down really easy.

C_B

• C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

Carbonation woke it up a bit. It's like a good mild right now. Low carb, easy drinking, tastes clean (too clean to be a true mild). Basically, this is a homebrew that'll mess you up. I drank it all day with a buddy while brewing again. It goes down really easy.

Sounds perfect.