Keg Priming Question
  • jlwjlw
    If I natural prime, I just add the sugar and seal it up and let it naturally prime? Correct? Then when I'm ready to drink it I hook it up to the CO2 at the serving pressure?
  • ThymThym
    yes.

Remember, if you prime naturally, you should expect more sediment/yeast in the first pours off the keg.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Also, I would give it a shot of pressure to make sure there aren't any leaks in the seals of the keg
  • C_BC_B
    You also need to cut the amount of priming sugar in about half for naturally priming in kegs vs bottles. I have found 60% works well for me.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver

You also need to cut the amount of priming sugar in about half for naturally priming in kegs vs bottles. I have found 60% works well for me.

Purely out of curiousity, why is this?
  • jlwjlw

Ok, so this would have been great information before I primed and kegged.
  • ThymThym
    TomoLiver said:

Purely out of curiousity, why is this?

im curious as well. was thinking head space is greater in the agregate of the bottles, but that seems to be insignificant compared to the scale of the recommended change.

It's probably pretty obvious, but you can use the release valve on the top of the keg to release excess pressure. just a light pop will tell you where you are at with pressure.
  • C_BC_B
    One of those deals when i wanted to try it this is what I was told. So I tried 60% knowing I could always boost the carb level after with gas. I have only done 2 batches this way so far, but the beer came out good. The next step it to cut a 10 gallon batch and do different amounts of priming sugar in each keg. To really test the theory. Sorry, I don't have a better answer.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym

One of those deals when i wanted to try it this is what I was told. So I tried 60% knowing I could always boost the carb level after with gas. I have only done 2 batches this way so far, but the beer came out good. The next step it to cut a 10 gallon batch and do different amounts of priming sugar in each keg. To really test the theory. Sorry, I don't have a better answer.

Welcome to brewing! Not exactly an exact science. :)
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Agree with all of the above. I prime my bottles with 5 oz. (by weight) of priming sugar, but my kegs only get 3-4 oz. (usually 3.5 oz.). Also, once I prime, I purge the head space of the keg by pressurizing to 30 psi and then releasing the safety valve. I do this twice, and then hit the keg with 30 psi to seal the lid. Then I tuck it away in a corner of the basement for a couple weeks to carbonate.

As for why you need less, it is indeed a head space issue. Head space plays a part in carbonating the beer as the head space needs to pressurize before the CO2 will start dissolving into solution. With the bottles, you have a lot more head space that needs to get pressurized than with the single keg.
  • jlwjlw
    I guess I will let you know how a full shot of priming sugar turn out.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I guess I will let you know how a full shot of priming sugar turn out.

it's always worked out pretty well for me. if you wait until fully carbonated, then purge the head space and hook up the gas to the appropriate pressure, it with work itself to optimal carbonation in a day or three.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake