The Three Storms Tripel - BTLC Inspired Brew
  • CZsCZs
    Here it is: The Three Storms Tripel
    Wyeast 1214 - Chimay strain (supposedly)

1.083 Final Gravity: 1.021 FG (prolly lower) ABV (standard): 8.15% IBU (tinseth): 35.3 SRM (morey): 6.2

Fermentables
    14 lb Belgian - Pilsner 80.9%
    1 lb Belgian - Unmalted Wheat 5.8%
    0.5 lb Belgian - Aromatic 2.9%
    0.2 lb Flaked Oats 33 1.2%
    1.6 lb Belgian Candi Syrup - Clear 9.2%
    17.3 lb Total

Hops
    Amount
    0.7 oz Aus. Pride of Ringwood 9aa Boil 60 min IBU 19.77
    0.7 oz Ger. Opal 6.3aa Boil 25 min IBU 9.62
    0.7 oz UK Phoenix 10aa Boil 7 min IBU 5.9

Mash Guidelines
    2 gal 125 F 25 min
    3 gal 140 F 70 min
    2 gal 150 F 35 min
    1 gal Fly Sparge 160 F

Other Ingredients
    Amount Name Type Use Time
    1.6 lb Belgian Candi Syrup - Simplicity Other Boil 30 min
  • ThymThym
    5ish gallon batch I assume. That 1 gallon fly sparge will leave a lot of good stuff in the grain. Id recommend doing a 3 gallon partigyle batch after this by batch sparging with 2 gallons then flying another 2.

Looks good. Is this a future recipe or have you brewed it before?

CZs
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CZsCZs
    Lakewood said:

5ish gallon batch I assume. That 1 gallon fly sparge will leave a lot of good stuff in the grain. Id recommend doing a 3 gallon partigyle batch after this by batch sparging with 2 gallons then flying another 2.

5 gal batch yup. I just brewed this two days ago! I usually do 2-3 gals of fly sparge, followed by 2-3 gallons of batch sparge -

I just went crazy I guess and switched it to get to my 7.5 pre-boil amount that I need without thinking of loss due to absorption. To be honest - I eyeballed the amount - it was over 7 gallons - whether or not it was 7.5 is a big? - I did end up with slightly under 5 - MAYBE - it was almost negligible. I did at least do my usual 2 gal batch sparge.

this brings up a question - do any of you push down on your mash to squeeze out remaining liquids? I have done it on occasion in the face of being told not to because of tannins from husks - but have never noticed anything harsh when doing so

OG was slightly over at 1.084 / 1.085ish
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

Lakewood said:

5 gal batch yup. I just brewed this two days ago! I usually do 2-3 gals of fly sparge, followed by 2-3 gallons of batch sparge -

I just went crazy I guess and switched it to get to my 7.5 pre-boil amount that I need without thinking of loss due to absorption. To be honest - I eyeballed the amount - it was over 7 gallons - whether or not it was 7.5 is a big? - I did end up with slightly under 5 - MAYBE - it was almost negligible. I did at least do my usual 2 gal batch sparge.

this brings up a question - do any of you push down on your mash to squeeze out remaining liquids? I have done it on occasion in the face of being told not to because of tannins from husks - but have never noticed anything harsh when doing so

OG was slightly over at 1.084 / 1.085ish

i don't, but when i used to do partial mashes, and when i use steeping grains now, i give the bag a good squeezin. you won't get any tannin extraction from pressing on grain husks. that only happens as the result of ph.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    I do not push down on the grains. But I double batch sparge with lots of stirring (Kenny style).
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Ive heard the tannin wives tale. I really dont think tannin extraction can be attributed to squeezing the last bit oit of your grains. However, you will get a bunch of protien that would have stayed behind otherwise. This can leave the beer cloudy.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny