Bourbon barrel project
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I bought a used bourbon barrel from a local distillery, Wood Hat Spirits. 15g. It was on short notice so I had to act fast to get things going so I could fill it. I decided on a Russian imperial stout, plan to age in the barrel for about 10 months, ready around Christmas 2014.

• BenvarineBenvarine
    The barrel will have been empty for 3 weeks before filling so the distiller said fill the top end with water and wait a day, flip over and do the same on the other end, then wrap in plastic bag and it should be fine. Pic shows the top with water in it.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I don't brew many English style ales, so don't keep a bunch if British pale malt or Maris Otter on hand. Our club group buy would be around $40/ 55lb bag, good deal. Retail on short notice is around $78-$85. Not happening. Soooo, I solicited our local club and bada-bing, I'm brewing today. Rounded up Maris otter and English pale from three people, enough to make three batches. I planned to do four so I'd have enough to top off the barrel to account for the Angel's share but I can brew that later. It's a 15g barrel, but I can probably only get around 14 in it. I used "brewing classic styles" for the recipe and started this morning.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I have a keggle to brew and mash in, I use BIAB. I also borrowed a kettle from a friend to ferment in, he just uses a lid and under positive pressure for a short period of time, he uses it almost every batch. I tried a lot of his beer and he is very good so I'm trusting this process of fermentation. I'll also use one carboy as well. So 10g in the keg and 5g in a carboy.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Here's the other fermentor. Not much to it. Just keg with hole cut and a lid but I like taking pics.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    After mashing, I hang the bag either over the kettle or above a bucket to get more drainage. This mash was so big, I had trouble getting it put of the kettle opening so I pulled it and hung it over this bucket.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • C_BC_B
    Dude. Nice. Like. Like. Like.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Added first hop addition. Had to sub Magnum for Horizon. Never used Horizon, can't imagine it will matter with this sort of beer, it's just for bittering. Second kettle and grain are ready. I'm going to overlap brews but not simultaneous necessarily. I'm going to use the hot water running out of my immersion chiller to fill the next kettle. Should cut down on warm up time.
  • ThymThym
    Sounds like a solid plan. Very cool!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Well I missed my gravity on the first batch and came up short on volume. Not sure hear happened. I boiled a g of water and added a lb if DME. I'll see what I get out if it and account for it on the next batch. I added more water to next mash and am hearing water now. Also sanitizing fermentor by boiling water in it.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Keep up the good work.

C_B
    Sign here______________________________
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Finally done. Long day, three batches. Shot way over on last batch to even it out, I'm just going to assume that works out okay.

C_B
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Finally done. Long day, three batches. Shot way over on last batch to even it out, I'm just going to assume that works out okay.

the universe is in balance once again.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

I decided on a Russian imperial stout, plan to age in the barrel for about 10 months, ready around Christmas 2014.

you can be my new best friend this december. 8->
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I racked to the barrel Friday. Took three gravity readings. The mixed batch gravity was 1.020, a bit low. Target was 1.030. My one carboy was 1.030, tasted good. The larger fermentor was 1.017 and tasted a bit thin. Mixed them both and then measured and got the 1.020. If I need to brew again to top off the barrel to account for evaporation, I'll try and shoot for a high final on that batch. I'm wondering if using some lactose in it would help improve the mouthfeel of the final blended batch. I could also only bottle 2/3 and top off with a higher gravity beer. Maybe not 2/3, maybe half, not sure. Thoughts? Ultimately it will depend on how the beer tastes as it ages.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    1.020 sounds like a nice finishing gravity to me.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Does it taste overly dry at 1020? I would think that would be pretty solid. If its dry and thin for a ris you could add a touch of lactose. I wouldn't go overboard with it though.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I didn't think it tasted real thin, but a bit. when I tasted the one fermentor that finished at 1.030, it tasted better however. If I was to add lactose, do you mean to the existing batch? How would I do that? Dissolve some in boiling water, cool and top off?
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I didn't think it tasted real thin, but a bit. when I tasted the one fermentor that finished at 1.030, it tasted better however. If I was to add lactose, do you mean to the existing batch? How would I do that? Dissolve some in boiling water, cool and top off?

Yeah, boiled and cooled is the safest way. You can try pulling a sample of wort and adding a measured amount of lactose to a small amount of water and keep doing that until you find the right amount. Then just scale that up. Thats how ive done fruit and vanilla additions in the past when experimenting.