Aging American Barleywine
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I recently brewed a Barleywine. It is ready to take the next step in aging now. Plan to age for 6-12 months. Listening to Brew Stong, Jamil recommends racking to a keg and aging in there for a year, then tap or bottle. I don't have a spare keg I can tie up for 1 year. My options as I see, bottle and store or rack to another carboy and store. Thoughts? If I bottle condition, I assume I might Need to repitch to carbonate, but not sure.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    What's it in now? And done.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    It's in a carboy. I usually don't secondary, but certainly would if leaving any longer. If I had a barrel, done and done.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Benvarine said:

It's in a carboy. I usually don't secondary, but certainly would if leaving any longer. If I had a barrel, done and done.

You can primary for a 9months. I've done it. Or better yet put it in a fresh carboy and fill with oak chips until it was at the neck.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Bottle aging would be just fine. Then no need to repitch yeast. Personally I would rack to a clean carboy and let 'er go. That will result in a slightly more uniformed finish.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    To note, I have a boat load of carboys and hate bottling. So that may have played a part in my recommendation.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    I would leave in Primary for 2 to 3 months. Then rack to a clean carboy. A few oak chips that have soaked in Bourbon for a couple of weeks, might be worth thinking about.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    8 months on virgin oak chips could do some great things, if it fits the brew. Other woods could be good too, pecan, apple, cherry, or maple could all work depending on the beer.
    -Some guy in Ohio