New keezer needed
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    so, my keezer broke. I think it has been broken for a few weeks, but that's besides the point. It was free and it lasted me 3 years.
    Now, i need a new one.
    The old one gather a bunch of water in the bottom and the water stunk!
    I don't want that again.
    I plan on buying a new chest freezer for this purpose and either swapping one of my others out and turning it into a keezer or just using a the new one as the keezer.

Here is my question:
    What the hell do i have to do to not allow the water to gather at the bottom? Automatic defrost? It's gross and i don't want to deal with it ever again.
  • ceanntceannt
    Drill a hole in the bottom?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    so it leaks all over my basement floor?

no.
  • ceanntceannt
    Hey, I didn't say it was a good solution ..... :D
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    My freezer has a drain plug like a boat. Its quite nice when you need it.

The most important thing is making sure it seals up good. Any moisture comes from air getting in, don't let it in and you don't have a problem.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Oh and my basement it dirt.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Here is my question:
    What the hell do i have to do to not allow the water to gather at the bottom? Automatic defrost? It's gross and i don't want to deal with it ever again.

automatic defrost doesn't remove moisture, it just allows the frost to melt and drain away from the coils. jerry's right, the moisture comes from the air, so you'll have to either control the moisture in the ambient air or find a way to remove it once it condenses and collects on the bottom of your keezer.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    have you tried damp rid?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If it's properly sealed it'll stay pretty dry as you won't be opening that often. Just fill any holes you drill for lines with lots of silicone calking. And keep the edge gasket clean.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob

so, my keezer broke. I think it has been broken for a few weeks, but that's besides the point. It was free and it lasted me 3 years.
    Now, i need a new one.
    The old one gather a bunch of water in the bottom and the water stunk!
    I don't want that again.
    I plan on buying a new chest freezer for this purpose and either swapping one of my others out and turning it into a keezer or just using a the new one as the keezer.

Here is my question:

I have silicone beads in my set up to dry the air, when it stops drying the air I dry it in the oven to get it back to like new drying capacity. Let me know and I can collect desiccant sacks for you. I use them to keep tools from rustingin my toolbox drawers...c I already have a few saved up, bout a half gallon so far.i could send you the lot plus some from other techs if it might help
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    We used to get the desiccant bags, big ones, in some of the inbound loads. I should have grabbed some. Those things were like pillows.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If you eat a lot of jerky save the do not eat packs. Put them in a cloth bag and bake in the oven every few months. Or just use a bag of rice, doesn't absorb as much per oz, but is way cheaper and will do the same thing.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

If you eat a lot of jerky save the do not eat packs. Put them in a cloth bag and bake in the oven every few months. Or just use a bag of rice, doesn't absorb as much per oz, but is way cheaper and will do the same thing.

rice gets moldy.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

rice gets moldy.

If you don't bake it enough.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

rice gets moldy.

no one has that much free time.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

rice gets moldy.

How much time could that possibly take? You turn it on you toss it in you pull it out in an hour or two. If that take more then 45 sec of your limited free time than you have more pressing issues than lack of time.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

rice gets moldy.

How much time could that possibly take?

more than fuzzy has.

but really, it's the same amount of maintenance as the silica dessicant, the only difference, if you are lazy and dont keep up with the silica stuff it just stops working... it doesnt mold. the rice stops working... then it molds.

BTW you can use rock salt as a desicant as well, but the silica stuff is much better.

But if i were doing the keezer thing, i would just drill a drain hole and install a drip pan... done and done. sucka.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i would never keep up with the rice thing, it would mold on the first go around, guaranteed. large silicone dessicate bags it is!
    Thanks fellers.