German Pilsner
  • morsmors
    So I'm brewing a German Pilsner on Sunday. I decided to first wort hop it just for giggles. Hoping it will bring some nice hop flavors and smooth bitterness to the table. Here's the recipe I am using:

11lbs German Pils (BestMalz)
    1oz Hallertauer 4.3% first wort
    0.75oz Perle 5.6% at 60
    0.5 Hallertauer 4.3% at 15
    0.5 Hallertauer 4.3% at 1
    WLP830
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks good. how long do you expect to lager for?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Sounds like a good plan. Are you going to do a decoction mash?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

I was going to ask that when I saw the grain bill is 100% pils. I think a decoction would give the beer some needed depth.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Other thoughts:

I would do the last addition at flame out. Not a big deal, but I feel flameout provides a crisper finish than a 1min which would benefit a pils.

I didn't run the numbers so I'm not exactly sure where your final IBU came out but my gut says the 60 addition could be cut back a tad. I'll try to run the recipe and check style guide tonight sometime... I may come back and say this post was total BS.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

I was going to ask that when I saw the grain bill is 100% pils. I think a decoction would give the beer some needed depth.

Yeah.... I think a decoction mash should always be used in a true Pilsner...

• ThymThym
    You can sort of cheat your way around it with a touch of carastan and maybe even a dab of special b, but a real bjcp master will make you wish you didn't.
  • morsmors
    Yeah as it stands it's about 40 IBU's with 18 of those coming from the first wort hops. Not doing a decoction mash for this one. I love decoction mashes and the flavors they generate. I know the style was traditionally decocted but as the style stands today I find it not really necessary. Now it I was doing a darker lager I would most likely.

I will be doing a beta sacch rest at 147 for 50 mins and a alpha sacch rest at 158 for 40 mins.
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • ThymThym
    Mash profile sounds right if you're skipping decoction, I would throw a couple oz of carastan in there, not much maybe 4 oz. Wont seem like anything but it will add a little complexity.

The 40IBU is really at the top of the end of German Pilsener. But being FWH it's probably going to put you right where you want to be. I would be shooting for about 35IBU though FWIW.
  • ceanntceannt
    You might want to boil your first runnings for a little too.... just long enough for it to break, say ten minutes. Gives a little of the same affects as a decoction, not as much, but a bit.
  • morsmors
    Well there were def some melanoidin reactions occurring during the step mash. I have not built my herms tank yet so the temps are raised via direct firing while stirring and recirculating with the pump. Not the ideal situation but w/e. In this particular case boiling the first runnings would have defeated the purpose of my first wort hops.
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • morsmors
    test
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • ceanntceannt
    mors said:

Well there were def some melanoidin reactions occurring during the step mash. I have not built my herms tank yet so the temps are raised via direct firing while stirring and recirculating with the pump. Not the ideal situation but w/e. In this particular case boiling the first runnings would have defeated the purpose of my first wort hops.

Forgot about the FWH ..... oops. Yeah, that would put a damper on things.
  • ThymThym
    mors said:

test

I see you've been effected by the "issue" I'm working on it.
  • morsmors
    yeah I've found I can only post in IE...and only if I do a preview first and sacrifice a goat and 2 llamas to the right button God.
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    mors said:

yeah I've found I can only post in IE

ewww.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    so @mors
    How did this turn out?