Carbon filter for brewing water?
  • scoobscoob
    I'm moved in to the new house and am in the process of setting up a brauhaus in the basement.

I will be piping cold water to where I will be brewing and was thinking of adding in an activated carbon filter to take care of chlorine and whatnot.

I figure I would add a poll to get opinions, please let me know what you think and explain your thoughts!

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    What does your water taste like?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    find out if it chlorinated first.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • scoobscoob

It's not bad drinking water, has the well water slight odor though, I can't taste or smell any chlorine.

The city hall is literally at the end of our street. I'm going to see if the city well water is chlorinated or they use chloramine. I'm hoping simple chlorine.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    scoob said:

It's not bad drinking water, has the well water slight odor though, I can't taste or smell any chlorine.

The city hall is literally at the end of our street. I'm going to see if the city well water is chlorinated or they use chloramine. I'm hoping simple chlorine.

Taste some chiled boiled water. If that's good it doesn't rwaly mater what they put in it... Unless you have a really bad taste in water, but if that's true your taste in beer will match.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    I like swag. That's why I said add one. Complicated!

Also, run hot water too!!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    a filter is never a bad choice, even if the water tastes pretty good.

as for hot water, it would make cleanup a lot easier.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

True, I might could run a hot water line too
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    scoob said:

Lakewood said:

run PEX. it's easy.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

run PEX. it's easy.

Or put an old garden hose on your washer hookup, works for hot water too.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

run PEX. it's easy.

This. Way easy.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

run PEX. it's easy.

A) wtf
    B) if the laundry is already down there, aren't there water lines and drains accessible?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

run PEX. it's easy.

A) wtf
    B) if the laundry is already down there, aren't there water lines and drains accessible?

Answer key:
    A) think less.
    B) they ,make really long hoses, but I guess pics are banned here.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob
    No laundry down in the basement so I'm going to have to pipe it in to the capped off stubs in the rafters.

I will take pics tonight
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    scoob said:

I will take pics tonight

Sweet
  • scoobscoob
    Home at last, time to take pics of an unfinished basement
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Wow, shitty low light pics...
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Here are a few pics..
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Sorry bout the quality.

This is the nook where the boiling will be happening, and the cold water pipe stub
    image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 166K
    image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 232K
    image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 242K
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    And some brewing stuff.

image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 238K
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Don't keep propane tanks inside.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob

They are empty for shipping, but on their way into the garage for storage now that it's cleared out.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    The three full ones are on the back patio with the grill
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym

Unless you like kaboom.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

Unless you like kaboom.

I prefer qwisp cerial
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    So, those pipe stubs. You have hot and cold already down there? Just hook a couple valves on them and viola.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    scoob said:

They are empty for shipping, but on their way into the garage for storage now that it's cleared out.

The valves leak even more when they are empty. Unless they've been flushed, but that has its own problems, keep them outside.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob
    For the record, the empties are actually under vacuum for safe travel, and also to prevent rust from moisture in the empty tanks the RV shop in phoenix prepped em for the move across country,
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

So, those pipe stubs. You have hot and cold already down there? Just hook a couple valves on them and viola.

Yup. It's a simple matter of sweating some copper to em and dropping it down the wall by the nook
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    And pex is not to code here in this town, no pex, and no pvc drains/vents on buildings taller than three floors.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I'm within the 3 floor limit, but the pex bit is a bit of a pain
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    scoob said:

And pex is not to code here in this town, no pex, and no pvc drains/vents on buildings taller than three floors.

And a non licensed plumber doing the work isn't to code. So use pex you tool.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Copper to pex. Then run pex. Cheaper and less heat loss. Copper is cheaper if you have more fittings that pipe though.
  • C_BC_B
    scoob said:

I'm within the 3 floor limit, but the pex bit is a bit of a pain

Well if you're comfortable with copper, by all means. I prefer copper.
  • C_BC_B

scoob said:

Unless it's their own residence. Then the work still has to be to code, not the worker. In Ohio anyway.
  • scoobscoob
    C_B said:

scoob said:

Unless it's their own residence. Then the work still has to be to code, not the worker. In Ohio anyway.

Since it's a rental I need to be able to leave the piping in place so it needs to pass code, I'm certainly not ripping out a load of plumbing before I leave.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    scoob said:

jerks.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

scoob said:

same for illinois.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    although, each township can create their own wacky rules, so you never know.
  • scoobscoob
    I would rather be up to code than stress about having to pull it out should I leave. I could leave copper pipe behind with no worry.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Are you going to use propane burners in the basement? That just seems like a really bad idea. I've brewed in the garage in the winter with the garage door mostly closed, and I got light headed. That was probably only 15 min from passing out dead. I opened the garage doors and flushed put the CO.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Are you going to use propane burners in the basement? That just seems like a really bad idea. I've brewed in the garage in the winter with the garage door mostly closed, and I got light headed. That was probably only 15 min from passing out dead. I opened the garage doors and flushed put the CO.

He is planning on putting in a hood.... Hopefully he brewcasts his innagural brewday so one of us can call 911 as soon as he hits the floor.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

He is planning on putting in a hood.... Hopefully he brewcasts his innagural brewday so one of us can call 911 as soon as he hits the floor.

The hood cfm is going to be spec'd out per commercial guidelines to be sure there isn't any issues, I also have a few CO detectors to keep check on it

With enough fresh air coming in, and the hood pulling out in the neighborhood of 2000+ cfm everything should be ok till I convert to natty gas
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

The hood cfm is going to be spec'd out per commercial guidelines to be sure there isn't any issues, I also have a few CO detectors to keep check on it

With enough fresh air coming in, and the hood pulling out in the neighborhood of 2000+ cfm everything should be ok till I convert to natty gas

or just switch to natty light and you wont care if CO takes you.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

CO would be the better choice....
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    scoob said:

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

and less calories!
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

and less calories!

Fewer.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • scoobscoob

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

and less calories!

Fewer.

Ha!

Grammar police....
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

and less calories!

Fewer.

banned.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

and less calories!

Fewer.

banned.

That's not a sentence.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

scoob said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

and less calories!

Fewer.

banned.

That's not a sentence.

sure it is.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Send some details on the hood. I want to eventually move to the basement too and do electric but want a hood for all the vapor. Looks like a fun project.
  • scoobscoob
    Benvarine said:

Send some details on the hood. I want to eventually move to the basement too and do electric but want a hood for all the vapor. Looks like a fun project.

I will be posting up a thread once I'm set to move forward on the build
    Jesus didn't wear pants