Crab Cakes; Outer Banks style
  • ceanntceannt
    I was able to get this recipe from the same woman that gave me my hushpuppy and clam chowder recipes. Her husband is a commercial fisherman on Ocracoke Island NC, and she learned them from her grandmother. I will put these up against any... sorry Baltimore, but you lose.

1 ½ pounds crab meat (mix of lump, back-fin and claw)
    ¼ cup minced parsley
    4 green onions, with tops, finely chopped
    3 TBS plain yogurt (I use the greek stuff)
    3 TBS fresh lemon juice
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 ½ TSP dry mustard
    1 ½ TSP Old Bay
    2 TSP Worcestershire sauce
    ¼ TSP salt
    2 TSP hot pepper sauce
    ¼ cup dry bread crumbs (Panko is best) plus a cup or so more to coat the outside
    3 large egg whites
    Peanut oil

In a large bowl, mix the crab, onions, parsley, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, Old Bay, Worcestershire sauce, salt and red pepper sauce. Stir in ¼ cup of the bread crumbs.
    In a small bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, and stir into the other stuff. I use a whisk, and my arm about falls off... an Immersion blender might come in handy.
    Form into 4” round patties, (squeeze any excess liquid out while you form the patties) and coat the outside with bread crumbs (Panko!) on parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least an hour, 2 or 3 hours is even better. I normally get 7 or 8 patties... she said it makes ten... I must make them bigger, or thicker.
    Heat peanut oil in a large cast iron skillet, (about a half inch or so) and fry the cakes for about 3 minutes per side, or until brown. Serve with lemon slices and tartar sauce. Whip up a batch of hushpuppies too...

Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    this sounds awesome. i will try to make this
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

this sounds awesome. i will try to make this

Seconded.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants