thermometer suggestions
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    After the last couple of brews, I'm not entirely sure I trust the thermometer I use in the mash. I plan on testing it before the next brewday, but I'm in the market for a new one anyway.

So, do any of you guys have a thermometer that you love/hate? If so, what's the price tag and what do you like about it?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I have a floating one, don't like it. Cheap. Slow to react to temp. I've overheard a few mashes due to it. I'm going to install a Blichmann dial thermometer. I have one, just need to make a heat shield before installing on my kettle.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I mostly use a little quick read one. 1" face. Its really not so great for telling the difference between 152 and 153... But I know it's not 155. I want a nicer digital one, but I can calibrate this one by sticking it under my toung and twisting its face.

Thym
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    I use a small dial thermometer. It's been a good one and I often double check it against ice water or boiling water or something like that. It hasn't been wrong yet. I like to set it on top of the mash. I might have a picture around here somewhere.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Here we go.
    IMAG0940.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 471K
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Here we go.

clever.

I use a similar one in the mash. and i have a large face dial thermometer in a thermowell for checking the wort temp as i chill
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Here we go.

clever.

I use a similar one in the mash. and i have a large face dial thermometer in a thermowell for checking the wort temp as i chill

I should note that I mash thick because I'm usually making 10 gallons in a 5 gallon MLT. But the point remains, this works well for me. I used to never really trust that I left the thermometer in long enough to get a real measurement.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I have a digital that I like. I don't have it right here with me, but I think it's NSF and able to recalibrate. The name is 3 letters. It will come to me later.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    I think for the mash I would like to switch to digital and have a dedicated thermowell. My setup is impossible to get temp reading from without opening the lid and letting out a ton of heat.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I think for the mash I would like to switch to digital and have a dedicated thermowell. My setup is impossible to get temp reading from without opening the lid and letting out a ton of heat.

I think this is where a constant recirc be it HERMS or RIMS would do wonders for consistency. Of course, there's a slew of variables that come with either of those systems.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

Here we go.

neat, but how hard it is to read? i have a very similar thermometer i'm using in my ferm chamber/cheese cave right now.
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

Here we go.

neat, but how hard it is to read? i have a very similar thermometer i'm using in my ferm chamber/cheese cave right now.

Easy. But you have to take the lid off realizing some heat loss I suppose. And usually I give a little wipe with my finger if it's fogged up. But really, it's working really well.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i don't seem to have very much heat loss from removing the lid for a couple minutes, so that's not an issue i'll worry about.
  • C_BC_B

i don't seem to have very much heat loss from removing the lid for a couple minutes, so that's not an issue i'll worry about.

Exactly. And it's the biggest issue I have...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Just don't leave one in a 400f oven and forget about it for 30min
    1381970695379.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Just don't leave one in a 400f oven and forget about it for 30min

oops