• ceanntceannt
    As stated in the “Old obscure Beer” thread…. This is an outlaw German beer intended to be consumed by farm workers during the harvest…. And I believe to be the forerunner of Bock. It was outlawed due to the small percentage of wheat (had to be 50% or not at all). I think what intrigues me the most about this one is the high hopping rate (for a dark German beer)

SUMMARY

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.065
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.016
    (Bitterness) IBU = 46
    (Color) SRM = 24
    (Alcohol) APV = 6.3%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle =209

For a 5 gallon batch…..

Grain:
    Pounds: Type:

10 Munich malt

0.25 caramunich

0.5 chocolate wheat

2 red wheat

Hops:
    Variety: Oz.: Boil Time:

Spalt 2 60

Spalt 2 5

K-97 yeast
    This will require a decoction mash, with the primary rest at 156 degrees. I will probably just do a decoction to mash out, with a 30-minute decoction boil, and 20-minute sparge rests.

[Deleted User]piping_pig
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    The plan is to brew this in December once cold weather gets here. Timing may not be traditional… but that’s how I roll.

• Evan_BEvan_B
    This sounds pretty good! I'll be interested to hear how this one comes out.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ceanntceannt
    Evan_B said:

I'm all excited about it.... I would brew sooner, but it should probably ferment on the cool side.... and I doubt I could get it below 70 this time of year
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Evan_B said:

I'm all excited about it.... I would brew sooner, but it should probably ferment on the cool side.... and I doubt I could get it below 70 this time of year

You need a ferm chamber!
  • jlwjlw
    Or better yet dig a lager cellar about 50 feet under ground.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

One word ..... rock
  • ceanntceannt
    Mayhap I could just find me a cave
  • ThymThym
    :-w

C_B
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

:-w

just checking to see if you read up.... ;)
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ernie beer? don't forget the rubber duck,

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    I was thinking of hanging little bitty rubber ducks on the bottle necks .... like Celebrator does the little goats .....
  • ceanntceannt
    Like these
    20130710_131115.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
  • jlwjlw
    I like the goats. Those are cool. I need to pick that stuff up again.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

As stated in the “Old obscure Beer” thread…. This is an outlaw German beer intended to be consumed by farm workers during the harvest…. And I believe to be the forerunner of Bock. It was outlawed due to the small percentage of wheat (had to be 50% or not at all). I think what intrigues me the most about this one is the high hopping rate (for a dark German beer)

SUMMARY

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.065
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.016
    (Bitterness) IBU = 46
    (Color) SRM = 24
    (Alcohol) APV = 6.3%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle =209

For a 5 gallon batch…..

Grain:
    Pounds: Type:

10 Munich malt

0.25 caramunich

0.5 chocolate wheat

2 red wheat

Hops:
    Variety: Oz.: Boil Time:

Spalt 2 60

Spalt 2 5

K-97 yeast
    This will require a decoction mash, with the primary rest at 156 degrees. I will probably just do a decoction to mash out, with a 30-minute decoction boil, and 20-minute sparge rests.

What is it with you and freakin' decoction mashes? This sounds good, but I'm not really interested in learning how to decoct.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Decoctions are easy if a bit time consuming .... I only do them if I think the style really needs it ....
  • ceanntceannt
    They can add 2 or three hours on to a brewday .....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Decoctions are easy if a bit time consuming .... I only do them if I think the style really needs it ....

this. it makes really yummy beer, but it's also a long brew day.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

They can add 2 or three hours on to a brewday .....

This here's the issue. I'll pass for now at least.
  • ceanntceannt
    The time is so worth it though ....
    of all the countless different decoction mash schedules .... doing it to mash out is the least time consuming .... and the least critical to hit target temperatures.... I pull them thick with lots of grain to get the most bang for my buck
  • ceanntceannt
    I was just thinking about decoction mashes.... and offer the following...

There is nothing scary about them....
    Everybody should try it once... just to say that you did if nothing else...
    They really add a richness to the malt profile that you can't get any other way...
  • ceanntceannt
    so there... :D
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

They really add a richness to the malt profile that you can't get any other way...

and it's really the only way to step mash in a cooler without recirculating.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Hey! Watch yer language! Don't be using the "r" word in my thread!
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Hey! Watch yer language! Don't be using the "r" word in my thread!

Yeah! We'd hate to add technology to brewing.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Kenteth, where are your foot notes? How did you come up with that gravity, grain ratio, fermetability, color, IBU ball park, & flavor hops?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

One word ..... rock

dynamite.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    video.
  • C_BC_B

Kenteth, where are your foot notes? How did you come up with that gravity, grain ratio, fermetability, color, IBU ball park, & flavor hops?

From watching his pops brew this before it was outlawed.
  • ceanntceannt
    footnotes? Most of the information existing on this beer is included in my first post of this thread.... A lot of assumptions, inferences and just plain old wild-ass guesses based on experience went in to the formulation of the recipe... Randy Mosher (who apparently read all the same old books that I did) suggests an IBU of 40, but I think he is on the low end.
  • ceanntceannt
    There would have been some significant regional variations in this kind of beer, (that's what Pops told me anyway... :-w ) but based on what little information I have, I should be fairly close
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

There would have been some significant regional variations in this kind of beer, (that's what Pops told me anyway... :-w ) but based on what little information I have, I should be fairly close

Ha!
  • ceanntceannt
    OK children .... I think I am going to brew this next .... don't think I can wait a couple months for cold weather
  • ceanntceannt
    ... for the same reason I don't buy green bananas ....
  • ceanntceannt
    So..... the nice man in the UPS truck dropped a box off on my front porch yesterday.....
    Ingredients are here!!!!
    I may not be able to brew this week-end (sad face) but will get this going as soon as I can... I will keep y'all posted
  • ThymThym
    sweet!
  • ceanntceannt
    Finally.... at long last.....
    It is brewed.
    This was one of the best smelling mashes ever!
    I would recommend some rice hulls or something.... draining the tun was very slow....
    All in all.... the perfect way to spend a Columbus day holiday!
  • ceanntceannt
    Right now it is happily fermenting away!

I will post updates on its progress....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

How did the color come out? what's the SG?
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

How did the color come out? what's the SG?

color is just a tad darker than predicted.... maybe 26 or 27 SRM
    Gravity was also a tad higher 1.068... but I also had just a little less volume post boil, not a lot less, but a little
  • ThymThym
    no top off i assume.

no pics?
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

no top off i assume.

no pics?

Never ....
    I was going to take some ... I love the color .... but I was in a hurry there towards the end .... and clean forgot.
    I shall post a pic of the first gravity sample ...
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

no top off i assume.

no pics?

Never ....
    I was going to take some ... I love the color .... but I was in a hurry there towards the end .... and clean forgot.
    I shall post a pic of the first gravity sample ...

sounds good.
  • ceanntceannt
    As promised ....
    20131111_173258.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 983K
  • ceanntceannt
    Color is very dark brown .... way more roasted character than I expected ... well balanced .. almost on line with a real brown porter ... but so rich ... even warm and flat this beer is spectacular .... my kind of beer
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh... gravity is at 1.011..... I will bottle here in about a week ....
  • ceanntceannt
    If it lives up to its potential .... this could easily turn into one of my favorite styles ..
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Color is very dark brown .... way more roasted character than I expected ... well balanced .. almost on line with a real brown porter ... but so rich ... even warm and flat this beer is spectacular .... my kind of beer

Well that sounds delicious.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

It took a lot of willpower to not draw another "sample "
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

C_B said:

ceannt said:

if you didnt take a second sample how can you be certain the first was accurate? Always take two samples.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

C_B said:

ceannt said:

if you didnt take a second sample how can you be certain the first was accurate? Always take two samples.

that was the excuse I was thinking of telling myself.....
  • ceanntceannt
    OK... all set to bottle first thing Saturday morning!

with luck, I won't drink more than half of it whilst I am filling bottles.... :-O
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

with luck, I won't drink more than half of it whilst I am filling bottles.... :-O

brewcast?
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

brewcast?

"bottlecast"?

maybe.... I'll see how much time I can spend trying to set it up.... before I give up in a cloud of profanity.....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

brewcast?

"bottlecast"?

maybe.... I'll see how much time I can spend trying to set it up.... before I give up in a cloud of profanity.....

i'd rather watch a brewcast of that. :D
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

brewcast?

"bottlecast"?

i'd rather watch a brewcast of that. :D

This. Set it up and then stream yourself trying to set up a second stream.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    well.... ended up not even taking any still pics... but at least this is in bottles now
  • ceanntceannt
    I'll give it time to carb up a little, and post an update...

At bottling it was really good. Has a few suspicious looking bubbles.... no pelicule or anything, but I don't like the looks of the bubbles... it smells/tastes fine, no hint of sourness... but I am going to keep a close watch of the bottle caps (read daily) just in case...

Going to be beyond upset if this stuff is infected...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    it's boned. send it all to me and i'll give you and accurate description of how infected it is. ;)
  • ceanntceannt

it's boned. send it all to me and i'll give you and accurate description of how infected it is. ;)

I'm sure you would ......
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

well.... ended up not even taking any still pics... but at least this is in bottles now

Yeah, it's not a good idea to take pics of a still. The photo shop guy might call the cops.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Yeah, it's not a good idea to take pics of a still. The photo shop guy might call the cops.

Ha

Ha
  • ceanntceannt
    Mmmmmmm
    20140217_115058.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
  • C_BC_B
    Yum!
  • ThymThym
    wow, that looks good.