• Evan_BEvan_B
    I want to try this in the next week or so.

Golden Promise 80%
    Crystal 40L 10%
    Crystal 120L 6.7%
    Chocolate Malt 3.3%

0.5 oz East Kent Goldings - 60 min

WLP004 - Irish Ale

OG should be around 1.033, will probably mash for medium-high body (~ 155F) for 45 minutes.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Simple and awesome!
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    with almost 17% crystal it might be a bit on the sweet side.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Yeah, that is what I am going for with the scottish style ale. Malty and on the sweet side. Though I will probably tweak this recipe 385 times before I brew it.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Yeah, that is what I am going for with the scottish style ale. Malty and on the sweet side. Though I will probably tweak this recipe 385 times before I brew it.

malty i like, sweet / cloying, not so much. you could go with a toasted biscuit to keep the maltiness and color while cutting back on the sweetness.

although in fairness, im not looking at my design bible right so biscuit may not be the best choice for the style.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Crystal really gives the wrong kind of sweetness ..... best way is to use nothing but the golden promise. ..just a touch of roasted barley ... and get a bunch of kettle caramelization.... either by boiling the snot out of a portion of the first runnings or by heating an empty kettle and pouring the first runnings into it ... the second option is actually more authentic ... but more difficult to predict ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    But the above is only my opinion ... so take it for what it's worth ;)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

But the above is only my opinion ... so take it for what it's worth ;)

I agree here, for my Scottish ales I use golden promise, a hint of roasted barley (1-2%) caramelize a gallon of the first runnings down to a pint or so and then boil the wort for 90-120 minutes. It's the same process for my 60 shilling as it is my wee heavy.

Amazing depth of flavor from the simplest grain bill.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Wow. I am really glad I posted this on a whim. The tips you have all posted are awesome. Now I am really looking forward to this beer.

I cut the crystal malts and will try boiling a gallon of the first runnings as suggested. I did add a little bit of Golden Naked Oats to the grist. I tried a friends ESB today brewed with Maris Otter and Golden Naked Oats, and the oats added a very nice smoothness to the finished product. Oh, and I have subbed the Chocolate Malt for Simpson's roasted barley ... whenever it arrives in the mail.