Brewing with Cedar boughs....
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Has anyone used cedar boughs in their beer? I am getting ready to brew a Gotlandsdricka as soon as I can find some juniper boughs and berries. I have realized there is a cedar tree near my house, and thought that would be interesting to try in the spirit of local ingredients and terroir, or whatever they call it.

I tried to do some searching online checking to see if cedar was toxic, as I will be boiling some, or at least using in hot water. There seem to be some who believe it is not toxic at all, and others who say it is. Does anyone have any experience with this, or know anything about cedar and it's toxicity? I would like to try a sahati style ale with some cedar, as long as iy doesn't poison me, and even then it might be worth trying.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ceanntceannt
    interesting.....
    I would stick the boughs in the first runnings... and leave them there through about the first ten minutes of the boil...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    sounds like a question for frydogboobs. but since people have been grilling stuff on cedar planks for a long time now with no issues, i'm inclined to believe it should be fine.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

sounds like a question for frydogboobs. but since people have been grilling stuff on cedar planks for a long time now with no issues, i'm inclined to believe it should be fine.

That's what I was thinking
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Good point.

I was thinking of lining my mash tun with them, but I may also stick them in the first runnings. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know if I die.
  • ceanntceannt
    Evan_B said:

Good point.

I was thinking of lining my mash tun with them, but I may also stick them in the first runnings. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know if I die.

log in before you drink it.... if there is a long pause without a post... I'll call 911
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    cedar is not toxic, at least not in any amount you're going to get to and be able to ingest it.
    I cook with cedar berries all the time and frequently chomp on the stems when i am hiking in the winter.
    The problem with toxicity that you are having is that, technically, it is toxic, but it's all about the dose*.
    The spice Rosemary is the exact same way. If you ingest an ounce of dried rosemary, you die. (but you can't possibly ingest that much without puking it all back up)
    Same with cedar. If you are able to extract enough of the oils to be dangerous, you won't be able to take a second sip because it will taste like piney/tarry dog poop.

*Disclaimer, I might be full of shit. You don't know me other than some strikingly handsome, successful author botanist.
  • ceanntceannt
    I am going to laugh about the above post for days ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy

If you are able to extract enough of the oils to be dangerous, you won't be able to take a second sip because it will taste like piney/tarry dog poop.

so, west coast ipa is the flavor you're describing? :D
  • scoobscoob

If you are able to extract enough of the oils to be dangerous, you won't be able to take a second sip because it will taste like piney/tarry dog poop.

Hey! You just watch your filthy mouth!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Evan_BEvan_B

HAHA.

Well I appreciate the input from everyone, and the offer to call 911 if need be! One thing @frydogbrews said that worries me some is that fact that he eats the berries. The tree I was thinking to be cedar has no berries whatsoever. Perhaps it is not even cedar? I feel kind of dumb now. I guess I need to do some arbor-ism research.

I think I am going to make beer with it whatever it turns out to be.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Here is said greenery in question:

photo (7).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 501K
    photo (6).JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • ThymThym
    that doesnt strike me as a true cedar, looks more like a juniper. but that would still produce berries/cones.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I looks like a cedar to me, probably Konardi Juniper from the form. Berries are only on female trees, so it is probably male if it does not have berries on it. Gin is made with cedar so can't be all bad. I've cooked with the wood plants, but those are dry so most of the oils are gone, however most of the oils are in the leaves. The leaves are very flammable, lots of fun to burn, especially standing live trees. I'd have to agree with Fry re: dosage. Go for it.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    cedars are junipers, so lake is correct. Benvarine is even more correct. and when cedar is used for making gin, it's at the very top of the still, the part that isn't supposed to get above 170. You're boiling it, so taking it even higher. You're all good.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Phew, cause I brewed it this past weekend, haha. It has a very interesting hazy orange hue to it.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on the matter. I looked forward to not being poisoned because of you all.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

Phew, cause I brewed it this past weekend, haha. It has a very interesting hazy orange hue to it.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on the matter. I looked forward to not being poisoned because of you all.

and we look forward to you not being a corpse, so we can get a decent review of the final product. zombies spell worse than jerry!
  • ThymThym
    Consider it a well controlled experiment. Let us know when this thing is ready to try. I'll notify the authorities if you take a hiatus from the site afterward.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Consider it a well controlled experiment. Let us know when this thing is ready to try. I'll notify the authorities if you take a hiatus from the site afterward.

Has it been too long yet?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

We should probably call it in now.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

We should probably call it in now.

Okay. Get on that.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    dibs on all his gear! and the non-poison beers.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Haha.

Still not dead, through no fault of my own!

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I should probably take a Gravity reading soon. Maybe I will do that tonight...
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Checked the gravity - 1.010 after 11 days.
    If that holds true then this will end up being like 2.7% ABV, haha.
    I have been experimenting low ABV, dry finishing beers. Being a Diabetic, myself, I feel like this would be a neat project to undertake, so most of my beers have been "sessionable" ales I guess.

Anyways, it does not drink like 2.4%. It has quite a bit of body to it. As far as flavor goes, I really cannot describe it, sorry for a lack of climatic verbiage. The smoked flavor and cedar/juniper play so well with each other I am little taken back. I really like this beer thus far, and can't wait to see how it develops in the bottle. The smell is mostly smoke with not much from the boughs. I am pretty excited right now, not the worst sample I have ever tasted.

Also, I am not dead.
    photo (8).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 452K
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Checked the gravity - 1.010 after 11 days.
    If that holds true then this will end up being like 2.7% ABV, haha.
    I have been experimenting low ABV, dry finishing beers. Being a Diabetic, myself, I feel like this would be a neat project to undertake, so most of my beers have been "sessionable" ales I guess.

Anyways, it does not drink like 2.4%. It has quite a bit of body to it. As far as flavor goes, I really cannot describe it, sorry for a lack of climatic verbiage. The smoked flavor and cedar/juniper play so well with each other I am little taken back. I really like this beer thus far, and can't wait to see how it develops in the bottle. The smell is mostly smoke with not much from the boughs. I am pretty excited right now, not the worst sample I have ever tasted.

Also, I am not dead.

cograts on the good sample flavor profile and the not dead part.

sorry to hear about the diabetes. so low ABV plays better with diabetes or the dry finish? i literally no nothing about diabetes other than it's bad.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Its kind of a double-edged sword.

Alcohol counteracts glucose in the blood, which causes a diabetics (type I) blood sugar to drop. On the other hand, beers that finish sweet have the residual sugar in solution, which raises blood sugar. It seems like this would just cancel each other out, but they function at different times.
    My thinking is that if I can keep the ABV low and final gravities lower (dryer beer with less residual sugar) it will have less of a drastic effect on my blood sugar. Anyways, thats the thinking. This has not been confirmed by a doctor or anything.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Its kind of a double-edged sword.

Alcohol counteracts glucose in the blood, which causes a diabetics (type I) blood sugar to drop. On the other hand, beers that finish sweet have the residual sugar in solution, which raises blood sugar. It seems like this would just cancel each other out, but they function at different times.
    My thinking is that if I can keep the ABV low and final gravities lower (dryer beer with less residual sugar) it will have less of a drastic effect on my blood sugar. Anyways, thats the thinking. This has not been confirmed by a doctor or anything.

hmm... seems like something i'd check with my physician about before doing too much "experimentation"....

i would think bud light could serve as the perfect (albeit nasty) platform to test your theory on.

• ceanntceannt
    Hmmmmm .....
    Find a doctor that is either a homebrewer ... or just likes good beer .... apply for a grant to do "research".... and fund your brewing ....

Evan_B
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

Hmmmmm .....
    Find a doctor that is either a homebrewer ... or just likes good beer .... apply for a grant to do "research".... and fund your brewing ....

That is a very very interesting idea....

I might need to start talking with some people.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Hmmmmm .....

What about a home brewer who plays a doctor on the internet?
    -Some guy in Ohio