Smoking Malt at Home - A procedural thread
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    It has been a week since I tried smoking malt at home or the first time. As far as the equipment used, this http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/115/cold-smoking#Item_19 thread was very helpful and useful. Thanks to @FromZwolle.

The procedure will come first, followed by some photos I shot during.

I first soaked 3lbs of pilsen malt in cold water for approx 30 minutes, or until the grain was plumb and had absorbed much of the water. After the soaking, I spread the malt over a few racks of my smoker, each layer of malt no more than an inch deep. I turned on the soldering iron, which was placed in the 1-quart pain can, filled with pecan chips. About ten minutes late smoke was pouring out of smoker, and smelled awesome. My original plan was to smoke for an hour, but the soldering iron went through the wood chips quicker than expected, so instead the malt was smoked for about 35 minutes. After the smoke had died down I put the malt into two large cookie sheets and then stuck it in the over for one hour to ensure that the malt completely dried out. Over got turned off after an hour, but I left the malt in there overnight to ensure further the malt dried out. The next morning I put a few ounces in the ziplock bag to take to work and share smells with my LHBS. The rest went into, and is still sitting in a paper bag until I use it. I am letting it sit for at least two weeks to allow the smoke to mellow, though the smell is amazing. The best descriptor I can think of is smoked jerky. It seems pretty evenly spread, and there is a slight toasted character from the oven. The pilsen also picked up quite a bit of color from is tour of duty in the oven. Unfortunately, I am not able to attach smell files to this post. Wish I could. I keep that ziplock bag at work and open it up for a smell at least 10 times a day.

Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    Nice write up. This seems simple enough to try.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    C_B said:

Nice write up. This seems simple enough to try.

When it comes down to it, it really is simple. The most important factors to consider is producing enough smoke without a huge fire, and keeping the malt from getting too warm during smoking.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ceanntceannt
    sweet!

(OK lake... how about scratch an' sniff?)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    very cool. i really need to get cold smoking here! i just need to find some screening material for a big enough basket.

i've been postponing my cold smoking because it's been too hot out to include a couple cheeses, but this has got me itching to have a little smoked grain in stock. it would probably go really well in that bourbon oak porter i plan to rebrew soon.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • scoobscoob
    I love the smell of home smoked grain, it indeed does require constant huffing to get your fix throughout the day, I smoked a few lbs and used it in the creation of my smoked RyePA, still a favorite after many years.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

sweet!

way too dangerous around here.

@Evan_B nice writeup. i may give this a try for my next adventure in brewing. I'll have to build some racks that can fit inside my smoker.

What temp is good for the smoking?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

sweet!

@Evan_B nice writeup. i may give this a try for my next adventure in brewing. I'll have to build some racks that can fit inside my smoker.

the question YOU need to be asking is how long the smoked grain is usable. as in, will it last until 2015.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

sweet!

the question YOU need to be asking is how long the smoked grain is usable. as in, will it last until 2015.

:))
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

sweet!

Ha!
    Jesus didn't wear pants