cold smoking
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    this isn't a recipe, more of a method. but here's a nice cheap way to cold smoke something without buying really pricey equipment. all you really need is a clean (unused) soldering iron, some wood chips (or smoker pellets), a can, and somewhere relatively airtight.

I use my round weber-style grill. You place what you want to smoke on the grill grates (cheese, nuts-in a mesh basket, bacon, etc.) and put the smoke producing instrument on the lower grates where the coals would normally sit.

You want to fill the can with your chips/pellets and position the soldering iron in the can so that the chips will rest on the iron where it gets hot. It will be hot enough all the way up to the metal guard to burn the chips, so try to get that whole area in contact, being careful not to get the plastic handle too close to anything that will be burning (ask me how i know that lesson).

Here's a pic or two of the assembly:

i use some crumpled foil to keep the chips contained and keep them from igniting. without oxygen they'll just smolder and smoke.

it's easy as pie to cold smoke. just choose what flavor of wood/pellets you want and toss em in the can.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    i love the soldering iron idea. i'll be buying a cheap one tomorrow.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

$5 well spent.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

$5 well spent.

merry Christmas me!

I'm thinking ill permanently mount the element inside a can/firebox and ditch the handle. i'll post pictures.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the handle comes off pretty easily. i almost got rid of mine today, but i was in a rush to start using it, so i left it as is.
  • ThymThym

the handle comes off pretty easily. i almost got rid of mine today, but i was in a rush to start using it, so i left it as is.

this is really a great idea. i'm going to see if i have any cheapos in the garage tonight.... i won't be using my $300 HAKKO ESD Safe workstation...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

this is really a great idea. i'm going to see if i have any cheapos in the garage tonight.... i won't be using my $300 HAKKO ESD Safe workstation...

woodburners are pretty much the same thing but with changeable tips. they're usually pretty cheap too, if you have a craft store around. and you don't really have to worry about a woodburner being used. it's just going to be burning more wood.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    thank you for the inspiration!
    photo (2).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 430K
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    very nice. now put that bad boy to use!
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Can't tell from the pic on the phone, but make sure you burn off the enamel coating inside the paint can if you haven't already.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Can't tell from the pic on the phone, but make sure you burn off the enamel coating inside the paint can if you haven't already.

Blow torch is the way to go if you don't have a weed burning torch.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Thankfully the cans from OSH don't come with that crap inside.

I was able to get this thing rocking today. The re-purposed BBQ actually turned out being more of a pain in the butt, so I switched it out for a re-purposed bee-keepers box thing... whatever they're called. Those sectioned frames with screen between each. Yeah, I found a few of those, which allows me to cover it with malt, and stack a rack on top. All the with the smoker underneath.

There was PLENTY of smoke. In fact, after I unplugged the soldering iron, smoke continued to pour out for about 45 minutes more.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Thankfully the cans from OSH don't come with that crap inside.

I was able to get this thing rocking today. The re-purposed BBQ actually turned out being more of a pain in the butt, so I switched it out for a re-purposed bee-keepers box thing... whatever they're called. Those sectioned frames with screen between each. Yeah, I found a few of those, which allows me to cover it with malt, and stack a rack on top. All the with the smoker underneath.

There was PLENTY of smoke. In fact, after I unplugged the soldering iron, smoke continued to pour out for about 45 minutes more.

the rack system sounds pretty cool. you should take a few pics and post a thread.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Not sure if you can see the screen, but it is there. I swear. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it worked!
    photo (3).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 602K
    photo (4).JPG
    1280 x 960 - 603K
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Not sure if you can see the screen, but it is there. I swear. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it worked!

yeah, that looks like it would work well.

did you raise the bottom to get the can under it? did you leave the top cover on or off while smoking the malt?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I actually cut a hole int he middle of the bottom screen that the can sits in.

I tried it first with the top on a small hole cut in the lid. Produced hardly any smoke after two hours. Tried it again the top off, tons of smoke, haha.
  • ThymThym
    how did the finished product turn out?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    All I had lying around was some very old crushed grain that I threw on there just for the effect. I will pick up a few pounds tomorrow, and give it an actual run through.

Will post the results afterwards, of course.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

All I had lying around was some very old crushed grain that I threw on there just for the effect. I will pick up a few pounds tomorrow, and give it an actual run through.

Will post the results afterwards, of course.

take some action shots and before/after of the grain.