Recipe build: Red Neck Beer
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I'm slowly making a "brew rig" out of old 55gal drums (link to that thread), but what to make with it?
    Here is what I do know:
    -I've got about 48lbs of some baking grade malt syrup, mid ambersih. ~32points per lb per gal
    -I'll be using some hops that are going wild in my garden. I don't know what is what anymore. I think Will's and fuggles are doing best, but I could be way off on that, I have 20+ plants in a field of weeds.
    -I can likely snag 4gal of over used yeast from a local brewery (they only reuse it 7 time). Likely a simply English ale yeast like WLP002
    -I can get rolled barley, oats, & rye really cheap (and the malt syrup is diastatic)
    -I can also get really cheap low grade maple syrup, honey, rice syrup, molasses, agave syrup, tapioca syrup, apple juice concentrate, & pear juice concentrate.
    -I can get most any grain at the feed store cheap too (home malting is out, ain't nobody got time for that).

So what to I make?... I was thinking some kind of beer ;)

Oh also it'll be poorly temp controlled and has a good chance of paint chip and rust problems.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Making up to 20lbs of smoked and or roasted feed grade barley is reasonable.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    may I suggest Coarse Dairy Feed?
    a wide mix of various grains with lots of molasses... pretty hard to get more red-neck than that
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I suggest you take the money you would spend on ingredients, give it to me, I'll take you out back and kick you in the nuts, then buy you a Busch draft and we call it a day.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    do a small mash with a bunch of oats, toss in a little molasses and a whole heap of malt syrup. load it up with fuggles and call it an english mild.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

may I suggest Coarse Dairy Feed?
    a wide mix of various grains with lots of molasses... pretty hard to get more red-neck than that

I like it, I'll get pricing on that next time I pick up chicken feed.
    Benvarine said:

I suggest you take the money you would spend on ingredients, give it to me, I'll take you out back and kick you in the nuts, then buy you a Busch draft and we call it a day.

Okay if you'll leave out the kick in the nuts and give me 47.25gal for about $50.

do a small mash with a bunch of oats, toss in a little molasses and a whole heap of malt syrup. load it up with fuggles and call it an english mild.

Sounds better than honey brown!
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Okay so shooting for 47.25 (lets just round up), okay shooting for 48gal.

48lb of malt syrup will give about 1.032

So that's almost to something okay, but let's just see what shooting for 1.060 looks like.

That's an extra 28 points per gal. So with good eff i could get there with 50lb of grain, but this is half assed so I'll use more like 60, or expect lower that 1.060.
    I'm thinking lower is okay. I'll be drinking a lot of this shit, I want to stay hydrated.

So 50lb+ of grain. I'll need something with some diastatic powers, more than just the syrup. Even just unmalted 6-row would be okay.... I think i've got a few lbs of that somewhere.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

Okay so shooting for 47.25 (lets just round up), okay shooting for 48gal.

48lb of malt syrup will give about 1.032

So that's almost to something okay, but let's just see what shooting for 1.060 looks like.

That's an extra 28 points per gal. So with good eff i could get there with 50lb of grain, but this is half assed so I'll use more like 60, or expect lower that 1.060.
    I'm thinking lower is okay. I'll be drinking a lot of this shit, I want to stay hydrated.

So 50lb+ of grain. I'll need something with some diastatic powers, more than just the syrup. Even just unmalted 6-row would be okay.... I think i've got a few lbs of that somewhere.

I think 1.060 is too high. Not because it's too high, because it's 48 gallons. More like 1.045 is good. Like you said, you'll want to stay hydrated.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    go 1.054 and use a lot of corn syrup.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Okay. I like the 1050 plus or minus 005 thing.
    I can't get cheap corn syrup, but I can get cheap corn...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Okay. I like the 1050 plus or minus 005 thing.
    I can't get cheap corn syrup, but I can get cheap corn...

cereal mash is a bit of a PITA but cheap is cheap, and corn is redneck.
  • ceanntceannt
    Can you get dried corn?
    Grind it to grits.... boil it for an hour and toss it in the mash
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Can you get dried corn?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about feed corn, so yeah it should be dry.
  • jlwjlw
    AB's new slogan: "Feed Corn if its good enough for our beer it's good enough for your beer"
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Can you get dried corn?

Sure I can. Heck I can get it cracked for a buck or two more.

Would a bottle of mountain dew add something?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

ceannt said:

Can you get dried corn?

Sure I can. Heck I can get it cracked for a buck or two more.

Would a bottle of mountain dew add something?

I don't see how a bottle of Mt. Dew couldn't add something
  • ceanntceannt
    You can just ferment mountain dew .....
  • BenSBenS
    This sounds epic. 50 lb cereal mash of deer corn and 50 lb of malt extract and a bottle of mountain dew. Might as well throw in a bag of chewing tobacco for that smoky flavor.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenSBenS
    Label it with a #3.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • jlwjlw
    BenS said:

This sounds epic. 50 lb cereal mash of deer corn and 50 lb of malt extract and a bottle of mountain dew. Might as well throw in a bag of chewing tobacco for that smoky flavor.

Maybe some Levi garret.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

BenS said:

Maybe some Levi garret.

Red Man. White bag.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    rooster.
  • ThymThym
    There's no way this can't be awesome.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    How much anti freeze is too much?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Go with mail pouch ....
  • ceanntceannt

Uh..... any
  • FuzzyFuzzy

when it looks like this, you're half way there.

• jlwjlw

Well I try to start with small additions. Then increase until the hullucinations get a little too freak and then you know what is the rigt amount.
  • ThymThym
    im glad to see even this thread has been de-railed.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

im glad to see even this thread has been de-railed.

Yeah, where are all the mods?!? Oh right, here, de-railing this.

On that note; I'm hoping to make this two weeks from now. My hops are almost ready and the weather is getting nicer.
    If more hops are needed I'm not apposed to buying an lb.

As for grain right now I'm thinking:
    10lb rolled barly
    25lb un-maleted 6-rwo
    1lb roasted barley

plus the 48ish lbs of malt syrup

-Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    there isn't that much there in the way of enzymes in the grain. I may just soak the 6-row over night to boost that a little.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

there isn't that much there in the way of enzymes in the grain. I may just soak the 6-row over night to boost that a little.

I thought you said the syrup was diastatic?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Oh yeah! I was trying to work around using that so I could get a more effective sparge, but that's dumb if i'm not using any malt.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Oh yeah! I was trying to work around using that so I could get a more effective sparge, but that's dumb if i'm not using any malt.

keep it simple.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

keep it simple.

So I shouldn't be trying to make beer in a old 55gal drum?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

keep it simple.

This is the truest statement in this thread.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

keep it simple.

That was a rhetorical question, not a statement. (the new truest statement)
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

keep it simple.

this seems pretty simple to me. go for it.
  • ThymThym

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

keep it simple.

That was a rhetorical question, not a statement. (the new truest statement)

aww snap! you just got jerried!
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So now i dug around in my chicken feed totes and found about 45lbs of unmalted 6-row, so whole oats, red winter wheat, & cracked corn. I'm grinding up the barley slowly. How much depends on how my arm feels. I'll add some of the oats too. I also found almost an lb of roast barley, so that'll save some time.

I'm working on making some crystal. I feel the need for some. So far making the 6-row into crystal isn't working. I have the bottom 15ish lbs of a sack of two year old MO i could make into crystal....
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

So now i dug around in my chicken feed totes and found about 45lbs of unmalted 6-row, so whole oats, red winter wheat, & cracked corn. I'm grinding up the barley slowly. How much depends on how my arm feels. I'll add some of the oats too. I also found almost an lb of roast barley, so that'll save some time.

I'm working on making some crystal. I feel the need for some. So far making the 6-row into crystal isn't working. I have the bottom 15ish lbs of a sack of two year old MO i could make into crystal....

that'll work better than anything else you have laying around.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah .... kinda hard to make crystal out of unmalted barley
  • ceanntceannt
    Crystal made from MO.... awesome ...
  • ceanntceannt
    You should save some of that for real beer ...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

This is why I have reservations doing that.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

This is why I have reservations doing that.

Just hang onto a couple pounds ..... it will add a little "legit" to the swill
  • ceanntceannt
    Just a little though .....
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh .... as far as carbing goes .... no problem ....
    just dump some ivory snow soap in it ... and shake up the glass before serving ......
  • ceanntceannt
    Nobody will know the difference ........
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

just dump some ivory snow soap in it ... and shake up the glass before serving ......

HA HA HA HA!

But I think I'll just pump it out a little at a time and bottle carb in growlers.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I got's my yeasts (should have gone with turbo)! Looks like it'll happen! Also got a 30 of PBR so I'll have the right level of attention to brew this right.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

So I got's my yeasts (should have gone with turbo)! Looks like it'll happen! Also got a 30 of PBR so I'll have the right level of attention to brew this right.

(Shudder)
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

HA HA HA HA!

But I think I'll just pump it out a little at a time and bottle carb in growlers.

Good call ...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So I guess unmalted barley is a lot denser than malt (it's sure tougher to mill) . I've filled a 5gal bucket with milled barley, It's at least 20lbs of grain. That would be about 15lbs of malt.

I'm thinking I can mash in my 5gal cooler and sparge inside tonight and maybe again tomorrow and boil on Sunday.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

So I guess unmalted barley is a lot denser than malt (it's sure tougher to mill) . I've filled a 5gal bucket with milled barley, It's at least 20lbs of grain. That would be about 15lbs of malt.

I'm thinking I can mash in my 5gal cooler and sparge inside tonight and maybe again tomorrow and boil on Sunday.

I like all of this.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

I like all of this.

It's happening. I've got 4.5 gal of 1.100 wort in a bucket. I'll be doing that again tonight.
    -Some guy in Ohio