CB's (Kenny's) Peetermann
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander

ceannt said:

Oh.... should be a good bit stronger than a normal wit too ... O.G. up in the 50s

So goes the build thread for this. Ima try to brew Sunday.

Here is the recipe?

I Just slapped some hops in there so I could save the recipe. What do you'ins think about the grain bill? I have centennial and nugget hops in the freezer already. I don't think either of those would fit very well....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    more munich!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

more munich!

He said a bit. I wasn't sure how much? I need to keep it under 15 lbs.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

more munich!

He said a bit. I wasn't sure how much? I need to keep it under 15 lbs.

up to you how much, but i always say more munich is better. for my particular tastes, i'd go for 1-2# in a ten gallon batch, otherwise it might get buried under the roasted malts.
  • C_BC_B
    From what I understand, I like Munich. What about 5 lbs?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

that's probably too much for the 'style', whatever that is, but munich is my favorite malt. so it'd still be tasty in my book.
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

that's probably too much for the 'style', whatever that is, but munich is my favorite malt. so it'd still be tasty in my book.

We're talking about a style that is older than Kenny. I'm not too worried about it. But I'll prolly trim it back anyway.
  • C_BC_B
    I also have WGV.
  • ceanntceannt
    Finally got rid of the company and checked it out .... 5 pounds is probably too much munich .... but I would leave it ... it will be good .... double the chocolate wheat .. and kick the IBU up to the mid 20s.. the late addition is perfect
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Brew it!
  • C_BC_B
    Try this on for size.

What do you think about the hops? Something else? Would WGV be good in here? Maybe drop the Hallertau at 30 and drop an ounce of WGV at 20? I don't know...

• ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

Try this on for size.

What do you think about the hops? Something else? Would WGV be good in here? Maybe drop the Hallertau at 30 and drop an ounce of WGV at 20? I don't know...

The Hallertau is perfect ... maybe just move it to 10 or 5 minutes and bump up the bittering addition ...
  • ceanntceannt
    Not sure how much late additions went into them ... but Hallertau is pretty subtle
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    hallertau mittelfru (spelling?) would be perfect for this beer. it's my favorite of all the hallers.
  • C_BC_B
    mmk. I'll see what AA the have when I go. I'm not going to buy an extra ounce just to gain an IBU or two.
  • ceanntceannt
    You can almost use anything for the bittering addition ... except the nugget ... too resiny ... the cascade is fine
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

You can almost use anything for the bittering addition ... except the nugget ... too resiny ... the cascade is fine

i use magnum for all my german beers. it's high AA, but very clean so you don't have to use much.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and you won't get any detectable flavor/aroma messing around with the malty goodness.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

i use magnum for all my german beers. it's high AA, but very clean so you don't have to use much.

This ... Perle is good too .... I want to try Magnum as an aroma hop sometime ...
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

So Centennial would work?
  • C_BC_B
    I have Centennial.
  • C_BC_B
    What is Nugget good for and why do I have half a pound of it?
  • ceanntceannt
    Centennial will work just fine in a pinch
    .. for a 60 minute addition
  • ceanntceannt
    Nugget is great for big aggressive murikan beers ... pair it with something like Chinook or similar
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Right... for the 60. But I don't like your "in a pinch" term. I'll be at the LHBS. I could easily get Cascade. Or anything else. But I could save a couple bucks and use Centennial.

Which is what Ima do unless you freak out on me.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Nugget is great for big aggressive murikan beers ... pair it with something like Chinook or similar

I know nothing about Chinook. But maybe put nugget in a hoppy barleywine for the bittering addition?
  • ceanntceannt
    Ha! Magnum would be cleaner is all ... the Centennial will be good ... might even add a little zing
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

I know nothing about Chinook. But maybe put nugget in a hoppy barleywine for the bittering addition?

Perfect
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Ha! Magnum would be cleaner is all ... the Centennial will be good ... might even add a little zing

done and done.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

done and done.

Cool
  • C_BC_B
    Plus with the Centennial I can tweak to exactly what IBUs I want. Since I have a whole bag.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

awesome in a stout, porter, or a brown. i like it paired up with a citrusy hop for pale ales/hoppy ambers too.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

Right... for the 60. But I don't like your "in a pinch" term. I'll be at the LHBS. I could easily get Cascade. Or anything else. But I could save a couple bucks and use Centennial.

Which is what Ima do unless you freak out on me.

i routinely use hops that i try and dislike for my bittering. not a good plan for a cream ale, or clean lager, but with something that has a decent amount of flavor and/or late hop additions, it's a great way to use up some hops you don't want.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what little flavor it does impart is masked by the late hops or the roasty/carmelly flavors of the malt.
  • C_BC_B
    Mmk. Ingredients bought. I adjusted the recipe to match the ingredients I and quantities I bought. Also match the AA of the hops I have and bought. I doubt I'll get to brew it tomorrow, maybe next Sunday. I think my effecency should be a bit higher than 70%, so I'll probably be up in the mid 50's OG.
  • ceanntceannt
    so.... you get this brewed yet??????????????????????????????
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

so.... you get this brewed yet??????????????????????????????

No. I worked last weekend overnight. This Sunday has the potential of being gorgeous weather if I don't work. I have the ingredients though. So I have no excuse but time.
  • ceanntceannt
    I'm in the same boat .... ingredients for the Kotbusser are just sitting there patiently waiting for me to find the time to brew ... sad face
  • ceanntceannt
    I hate seeing a week-end go by... ingredients on hand... no brewing... :((
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

This. Twice.
    This weekend is looking like a 50/50 shot.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

This. Twice.
    This weekend is looking like a 50/50 shot.

For me too ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    make it happen.
  • ceanntceannt

make it happen.

easier said than done....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

make it happen.

easier said than done....

make it happen.
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh noes! A parrot hacked fz's account!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Oh noes! A parrot hacked fz's account!

bawk, make it happen!
  • ceanntceannt
    Fzzy wanna cracker?
  • C_BC_B
    Belgian wit yeast. Gonna be a bit of an underpitch. Not bad under pitch, just less than recommended. It'll probably be fine.
  • C_BC_B
    So what about a mash temp here... 151?
  • C_BC_B
    No rush, I have strike water heating.... @ceannt
  • ceanntceannt
    Ha! How about 152?
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Ha! How about 152?

That's where I landed.
  • ceanntceannt
    Good
  • C_BC_B
    Take another look at the recipe. I adjusted it for what I actually used. Midnight wheat. Oups. It's really dark. Really really dark. I'll postie a picture when my phone gets charged back up. OG came out to 1.056. I added 10 oz of regular DME to get preboil up a bit. I also have a few pics of the crush for reviewing also. Hydro sample tasted good. But I've never been able to tell much by that.
  • C_BC_B
    First runnings. It looks like motor oil in this picture. It was darker in reality...
    IMAG0943.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 460K
  • ceanntceannt
    Should be dark .... so that's a win
  • ceanntceannt
    Great picture
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I've made stouts that were lighter than this.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

I've made stouts that were lighter than this.

too funny
  • ceanntceannt
    I think it is awesome that two extinct beer styles were brewed on the same day... very different, but equally obscure... makes me happy
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I think it is awesome that two extinct beer styles were brewed on the same day... very different, but equally obscure... makes me happy

It is pretty cool. Ima send you a couple bottles of this. Since it was your idea and all.
  • C_BC_B
    Couple notes on this.. I pitched yeast yesterday evening. It was chugging along at the 6 hour mark at about 70*. At the 16 hour mark it was up to 73*. Now at the 34ish hour its up to 77. Ima cool it down a degree or two over night then set the ferm controller on 74 or 75.
    Guess I should have set it up from the start....
  • ceanntceannt
    I would think that a lot of esters would be appropriate ... so you are on the right track ... give it a nice long primary though
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I would think that a lot of esters would be appropriate ... so you are on the right track ... give it a nice long primary though

For sure.

It's back down to 72* this morning. Who knew we would get a low of 62* in July? I'm going to check the gravity and then set up the ferm chamber. If nothing else to keep it from swinging back and forth so much. Also, airlock activity has ceased. Ima roust it daily to hopefully keep it from stalling out.
  • C_BC_B
    And what are you calling long? Three to four weeks?
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

And what are you calling long? Three to four weeks?

4 or 5.... at least
  • C_BC_B
    Checked the gravity. The skinny bucket is 1.010 and the short chubby bucket is 1.015. In less than 48 hours. And I was worried about underpitching...
  • ceanntceannt
    Wow ....
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Wow ....

Yeah. I hope it isn't hot. Like rubbing alcohol hot.
  • ceanntceannt
    It will be fine ... just let the little yeasties clean up after themselves
  • C_BC_B
    Annnnnnd both buckets are at 1.008.
  • C_BC_B
    Ima leave it a couple more weeks.
  • ceanntceannt
    So.... whats it taste like so far??????
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

So.... whats it taste like so far??????

I used the wine thief to sample. No taste. I figured with this cold I wouldn't have been able to taste much.
  • ceanntceannt
    Boo!
  • ceanntceannt
    So ...... have you given this a taste yet????
  • C_BC_B
    Negative. Maybe tonight?
  • ceanntceannt
    And? ............

Well?????
  • C_BC_B
    Negative. I'll be home Sunday and itching to get it in kegs.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lame ....
  • C_BC_B
    Kegged. Amazingly clear for as dark as it is. I don't get much in the aroma department. The taste (warm and flat) is interesting. I sampled the bucket that finished at 1.008. It had a residual sweetness that scares me because the other bucket finished at 1.011ish. The first think I noticed was it was definitely a wheat beer. Got that right up front. There is a silky smoothness that finishes thick on the tongue. Overall flavor is good, but I'm expecting carbonation to take the edge off of the sweetness.
  • ceanntceannt
    weird that it would finish so dry... and still be sweet...
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I am not good at judging warm flat beer. The silkiness I'm getting may be tricking me. We'll see what its like cold and carbed.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

I am not good at judging warm flat beer. The silkiness I'm getting may be tricking me. We'll see what its like cold and carbed.

Cool.... keep me posted!
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Its from the milk.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Its from the milk.

I did use fresh Jersey milk this time. So much more cream and butterfat than normal Holstein milk.
  • C_BC_B
    It's getting better. Smooth. What I thought was sweetness is something else. Smoothness. I don't know how else to describe it. I really need to get a sample out.
  • ceanntceannt
    You make me laugh ....

The funny thing is ... I know what you are trying to say ... and can't explain it either ...
  • C_BC_B
    Now that its been on gas for two weeks it has a wonderfully creamy head that laces well.
    IMAG1005.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 518K
  • ceanntceannt
    Mmmmm
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Mmmmm

I need to get a couple samples out. Yeast samples, that is.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Now that its been on gas for two weeks it has a wonderfully creamy head that laces well.

oh... that looks like something i would like to drink until i could drink no more.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

she's purdy. :x