Dual redwood stir plate
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I have been very very bored as of late, and decided I needed a new stir plate... And then further decided I wanted it to be a dual stir plate.
    Don't mind the shorty craftsmanship. This was the first time I have ever dealt with plexi-glass, and it cracked a few times. I will replace it in the future, but it works fine for now.
    This is essentially a normal stir plate build, except there is two of everything, and the frame.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • jlwjlw
    I like the see through that is cool.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Sweet! Can you make a martini on it?

I don't see any poor craftsmanship? It seems to be made of less than 40% duct tape, does it catch on fire regulatory?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    That is real cool
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Can you make them spin in opposite directions?
    don't know why ... but that would be sweet
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

I don't know why, but that might be the greatest idea ever!
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Sweet! Can you make a martini on it?

I don't see any poor craftsmanship? It seems to be made of less than 40% duct tape, does it catch on fire regulatory?

Haha. Fortunately the photos hide some of the cracks and what not, but it does work pretty good, and barely any fires!
    ceannt said:

I'm pretty sure it would just be a matter of flipping one of the fans over, but there's a bracket and stuff I would have to cut off. That would be pretty sweet though. That sounds like a project for my next boring weekend (probably this coming one).
  • ThymThym
    Very cool, I like the idea and it looks good to me.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

I don't know why, but that might be the greatest idea ever!

See!

Can't explain why ... but that concept is just too freaking cool ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Really nice build by the way
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Is this your first stir plate? I built one with a lot of help from the forum, especially Lake, and it was real time assistance. I had a tough time getting the magnet and bar centered on the fan and making something to space between the fan and the magnet. What did you do? Care to take any close ups of the fan and magnet? I'm going to make another one, I have a DVR to dissamble for the fan and magnet and some DC plugs I can use. I bought a box at Michaels art store for $5. I like the clear idea. I have plexiglass and spare wood around. I may just try that. A double would be a nice touch. Great job.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I took the stir plate to my future place of residence, so I will snap some pictures tomorrow.

This is my second stir plate. The first was made with a project box and case fan from RadioShack. It looks a lot like the Whirly-gig on here, but not nearly as finely crafted.
    I basically took two disc magnets (neodymium - from Michaels, they come in packs of four for approx $3) and super-glued them to opposite sides of the center of the fan, making sure they were as close to opposite as possible. One mistake I made at first, was not checking I glued the correct side of the magnet down. This caused the stir bar to only stick to one side. I just pried the magnet off and re-glued it.
    I do notice that this magnet configuration works best with the shorter of the stir bars. The long ones will work, but only at slower speeds, and the stir plate will throw the big bar at higher speeds.

image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 977K
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Sorry about the glare, I couldn't make that damn sun go away.
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1017K
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    These are 80mm fans by the way. I thought about gluing four magnets to the fan, but didnt. Good story, huh? I might try it later on.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Thanks for the photos. I'll be building again shortly, armed with new knowledge. Get ready @lakewood, I'm sure to need help again.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Thanks for the photos. I'll be building again shortly, armed with new knowledge. Get ready @lakewood, I'm sure to need help again.

sounds fun, i look forward to another build.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny