Pickled eggs or poison?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    This is not smoking or BBQ, but is borderline curing. Anyways, here we go. I hard boiled some eggs. I heated some hot peppers and maybe some garlic in vinegar. I added the unpeeled eggs to the hot vinegar. Fast forward some number of months. I peeled the leathery shells off of the eggs and placed them back in the vinegar sans the pepper, garlic, calcium sludge at the bottom of the jar. Do I have tasty pickled eggs or a trip to food poison city in a jar?
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmm .... let me know after you eat a couple ... could go either way ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh... dial 911 before you try ... so they will be on the way ..... just in case
    Good call! (Pun intended)
  • ceanntceannt
    Ha!

All the vinegar and peppers should have kept all the lethal stuff at bay .... but this still falls into the "here Bubba ... hold my beer and watch this! " category .....
    Do peppers really have any preservative capability? Is capsaicin an oil? Does the same chemical burn that we perceive as heat affect microorganisms?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hmmm.....this is certainly not how i would do it.
    Truly, they're probably fine. Would i eat them? Not a chance in hell.
    When they sat for months, were they in the fridge?
    Did you bring your vinegar and spice mix to a boil(and how long) or just heat it up?
    Those are the biggest issues i see. Truly, they're probably fine. Would i eat them? Not a chance in hell.

side note for taste, use cider vinegar and be sure to add a little sugar to it when boiling. the pickling itself won't take more than a few days to achieve full flavor.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Do peppers really have any preservative capability? Is capsaicin an oil? Does the same chemical burn that we perceive as heat affect microorganisms?

It does have an ability to kill bad bugs, but not as much as you would hope and certainly not enough to rely on since it would effectively be un-measurable due to wild fluctuations in capsaicin amount per fruit.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah ... what fry said ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Here's a thought .... get your mother in law to try them first ....
    Good call Fry. I was experimenting and the further along I got the less sure I was. I did bring the vinegar to a boil. I don't remember for how long though. I think hot eggs met hot vinegar and went straight to the fridge. I don't think I'm quite adventurous though.
  • ThymThym

Good call Fry. I was experimenting and the further along I got the less sure I was. I did bring the vinegar to a boil. I don't remember for how long though. I think hot eggs met hot vinegar and went straight to the fridge. I don't think I'm quite adventurous though.

If this is true then they are very likely to be safe since that's basically how you make pickled eggs. But as you've found, it's better to peel them before placing in the vinegar pickleing brine, since the vinegar will dissolve the shell and leave you with a nasty mess.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    just eat it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    haven't heard from jeep.... wonder if he ate them? what's the number to 911 again?
    I'm alive. I haven't eaten any of the eggs. They do look good now that they are peeled.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I'm alive. I haven't eaten any of the eggs. They do look good now that they are peeled.

grab some hot sauce and eat em already.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    This reminds me of the 1/2 gal of eggs i pickled about a year ago... i was meaning to put those in the fridge. They seem fine, but i'm not ready to test them.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy

This reminds me of the 1/2 gal of eggs i pickled about a year ago... i was meaning to put those in the fridge. They seem fine, but i'm not ready to test them.

have they developed sentience yet?
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Whatever it is you made, it's probably safer than Tong Zi Dan.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20481_the-6-most-horrifying-health-foods-in-world_p2.html

(Scroll down to the number one most horrifying food.)

"Treating yin deficiency"
  • C_BC_B
    Ace_Club said:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20481_the-6-most-horrifying-health-foods-in-world_p2.html

And I just threw up.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Ace_Club said:

that doesnt sound healthy. at all. under any circumstances.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Ace_Club said:

Who doesn't eat these?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

Ace_Club said:

And I just threw up.

And this guy makes dog food!
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio