• FuzzyFuzzy
    This saison is a collaboration between stone, dogfish, and victory. The one i chose was brewed by stone.

here's an image i stole from google

What did I think of it- :-q

The appearance and aroma are decent. The peppery phenols from the saison yeast are nice. The body is full, with a nice crisp finish.

And now we come to the reason I hated it. This saison was brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. I was hesitant to try it, but curiosity won out. The herb flavor isn't very strong, but when they all mingle together I get a distinctly minty flavor, which is just not pleasant to me. It was a little bit like drinking each sip right after I brushed my teeth.

:-&

The minty flavor is pretty tame, but my tongue just zeroed in on it and I couldn't enjoy the beer at all. One of the few dumpers I've had.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

:-&

All I needed to know.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    that would be.... medicinal?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    only have two things to say....

yuck

and

why?
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

yuck

and

why?

If you come out for the tour on Friday you can ask them yourself.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

yuck

and

why?

If you come out for the tour on Friday you can ask them yourself.

If I had the leave time and the Cheddar .... I would do just that .... alas ... I will have to leave the asking to you .....

I have liked everything that I have had from Stone ... and I'd sure like to try it at the source!
  • ThymThym
    having not tried the saison du buff, i dont think i'll be asking this question.
  • CZsCZs
    the idea sounded great when I watched Will Wheaton(sp) mod the discussion between the 3 - you think earthy, you think "farmy" when you think of a Saison - you think of bright, kinda citrusy with a tang - those 3 ingredients in cooking are great in moderation - I think if they would have stuck with an Earty, woody approach - 2:1 Thyme to Sage would have been good enough - and only a hint of it at that. It just sounds too pungent even just in theory. Maybe a biere de mars that played with wine yeast for something really musty and funky would go well with this - but, too much green and too much power - I def get minty which is not good at all, not even in ice cream . . .
  • ceanntceannt
    What CZs said... I would think that the combination would get "medicinal" in a hurry...
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I have tried the version brewed by Victory.

Like Zwolle mentions, there is nice peppery character from the yeast, which I really dig in a saison, and is also why I took the dregs and used them in my first Saison Blend of Yeasts.
    As for the other part of this beer ... I did not find the Victory version to be "minty" per se. I found the sage to the most prominent of the herbs with the thyme bringing up the rear. I like sage a lot, so I wasn't too off-put by it. Also, in my rather unrefined sense of taste, I find thyme to have a bit of peppery (maybe spicy) character to it, which I think would work well in a saison on its own, not necessarily with all the other crap.
    Parsley is pretty much the water of herbs, and I have never found it to taste like anything. Which begs the question, why even put that in?

In the end, I kind of liked it. I don't know the limits of personal expression allowed by each brewer in a collaboration, but I Imagine Stone's "Go big or go home" mentality would not mesh well with the herbs and such in this beer.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    This beer sounds like a failure, on par with the collaboration itself... Which I suppose is fitting.
  • CZsCZs
    Evans got the right idea - I'm no master at Saisons and generally they are one of the best to toy with and are forgiving, but, too much is too much, unless you're really going for that vegetal or odd musk - an aperitif glass with nice hunk of grilled meat - would probably be perfect for cutting through - think Buff & Beef Kabobs?
  • CZsCZs
    Lakewood said:

This beer sounds like a failure, on par with the collaboration itself... Which I suppose is fitting.

not a fan or just think it was conflicting approaches / personalities?
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

Lakewood said:

Very strong personalities ....
  • CZsCZs
    what would be cool would be to do a home brew forums collaboration (great experiment anyways) - everyone gets to decide a part of the recipe or we could just do a series of voting and make it an "official forum brew," we could rotate the style, take turns on who decides the base bill, specialty malts, yeast, hops, mash, ingredients, ferm temp and time - I dunno, maybe poll voting would work better. Create the thread to submit video/picture of our experience brewing it then come back later with notes. Sounds like fun to me anyways or maybe I'm just looney.

Evan_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

what would be cool would be to do a home brew forums collaboration (great experiment anyways) - everyone gets to decide a part of the recipe or we could just do a series of voting and make it an "official forum brew," we could rotate the style, take turns on who decides the base bill, specialty malts, yeast, hops, mash, ingredients, ferm temp and time - I dunno, maybe poll voting would work better. Create the thread to submit video/picture of our experience brewing it then come back later with notes. Sounds like fun to me anyways or maybe I'm just looney.

round 2 anyone?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

Lakewood said:

I'm not really passing judgement, it's just an observation. The collaboration really didn't work. I think it was a good idea, but not practical in terms of expectations or potential.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    CZs said:

This could be pretty cool!
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

CZs said:

This could be pretty cool!

i like the idea!
  • CZsCZs
    Lakewood said:

CZs said:

Lakewood said:

I'm not really passing judgement, it's just an observation. The collaboration really didn't work. I think it was a good idea, but not practical in terms of expectations or potential.

no, I didn't think so - I was just curious - from my outsider's perspective, the 'cast at least was taken over by 'buff and I wonder how much of that big personality translated into the brew
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

Lakewood said:

CZs said:

Lakewood said:

no, I didn't think so - I was just curious - from my outsider's perspective, the 'cast at least was taken over by 'buff and I wonder how much of that big personality translated into the brew

yeah, too many cooks in the kitchen, no restaurant.