What ferments well in 75*ish temps?
  • C_BC_B
    My basement is sitting around 75*. I need to build a ferm chamber at some point and right now I'm looking for a cheap mini fridge to do a cheap an' easy ferm chamber.

But this got me thinking. What did they do 100 years ago? 1000 years ago? Back when Kenny was a boy? Brewed according to their environment. (And access to caves...)

What CAN I ferment that warm? From what I've read on this forum, saison's like warmer temps. Even starting in the low 70's and then letting it ramp to whatever. As high as 90?

Bottom line is this... What can I put in a bucket at an ambient of 75* and just let it go?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Belgian IPA? You might have to actually add heat to a Saison or maybe just insulate it at 75F.
    Sign here______________________________
  • jlwjlw
    So when your fermenting wht are your temp readings? I might be wrong but I don't think a ferm temp of 75 degrees for most ales is going to cause problems.

If you want a cheap ferm chamber go to Walmart and buy a large Rubbermaid container basically a big storage box. Out bucket in the storage box and add water about 3/4 of the way up the bucket. Then add frozen water bottles or milk jugs (I said jugs). You'll need to replace the frozen bottles twice a day. I used this setup for many beers until ingot my chest freezer last summer.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    My basement runs around there also because only about 20% of it is actually uderground. Everything i ferment with s-05 comes out fine. Not as good as when fermented at 60 or so, but still delicious. give it an week or two in primary to clean up all the funky esters and junk from the warmer than normal and ferment and you'll be fine.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah ... S-05 does pretty good.
    like fry said ... an extra week or two in primary, rousing the yeast every other day ... and all is well
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I have even made some relatively clean brews at higher temps with S-04 ... just let it clean up
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Saison yeast excels at the higher temps, and so do other Belgian strains like jeepin said.
    With the warm weather it might be a good opportunity to try out some Saison recipes.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    What temp is the root cellar?

Hefewiezens can ferment at 75. They will be a little more estery, but hefes and wits are fine at these temps.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

What temp is the root cellar?

Hefewiezens can ferment at 75. They will be a little more estery, but hefes and wits are fine at these temps.

Yes, I was also thinking of hefe's.
  • C_BC_B
    Ambient temp is 75. I would expect beer temp at 80 plus?
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

Ambient temp is 75. I would expect beer temp at 80 plus?

That's going to depend on how your fermentation is which will vary based on yeast strain, how well oxygenated, etc.

I would expect your fermentation temp to be hotter than ambient by what degree is up for debate. It could be anywhere from a degree or two up to maybe five degrees.

I really think your simplest and quickest solution is a swamp cooler.
  • C_BC_B
    Swamp coolers take regular attendance. I'm not real good about that. So let's talk about saisons... Or maybe a Belgian. Or maybe I'll try a swamp cooler when I'm off around July 4th.
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

Swamp coolers take regular attendance. I'm not real good about that. So let's talk about saisons... Or maybe a Belgian. Or maybe I'll try a swamp cooler when I'm off around July 4th.

Well saisons you can let run free on fermentation temps. 90 degrees is no problem. I'm fact I believe the funky taste if saison is more pronounced at higher ferm temps. My last one I held at 90 plus for a couple of weeks.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

put the fermenter in a bucket with a t-shirt over the fermenter. fill enough water to get and inch or three of the shirt wet and point a fan at the thing.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i did that for a while before i had a ferm chamber. i'll probably do it again now that the chamber is used for cheeses again. works well.
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

put the fermenter in a bucket with a t-shirt over the fermenter. fill enough water to get and inch or three of the shirt wet and point a fan at the thing.

Now this is an approach that is just hands off enough to work.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_B said:

Well saisons you can let run free on fermentation temps. 90 degrees is no problem. I'm fact I believe the funky taste if saison is more pronounced at higher ferm temps. My last one I held at 90 plus for a couple of weeks.

Ima try a saison.
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

jlw said:

C_B said:

Ima try a saison.

There are some really good ones on this site. Start a build thread. You might want to get a few commercial beers to what you like.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

This is not true. Get feed tub at Agway that's about twice the dia. of the carboy, place carboy in center, cover carboy with a beach towel with enough extra marital to wick up water, fill with water, done. If it's really really dry you might need to refill it once. It will likely get moldy and nasty so dump a cup of bleach in the water (or sanstar if your fancy pants). Oh and ad a fan for better results.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio

C_B said:

This is not true. Get feed tub at Agway that's about twice the dia. of the carboy, place carboy in center, cover carboy with a beach towel with enough extra marital to wick up water, fill with water, done. If it's really really dry you might need to refill it once. It will likely get moldy and nasty so dump a cup of bleach in the water (or sanstar if your fancy pants). Oh and ad a fan for better results.

Yup. I used a 20 gallon Rubbermaid tub for a while. Without some bleach or starsan it will get nasty. The plus side is the blowoffs are easily contained.
  • ThymThym

C_B said:

Yup. I used a 20 gallon Rubbermaid tub for a while. Without some bleach or starsan it will get nasty. The plus side is the blowoffs are easily contained.

I started out doing this. The outside of the fermenter gets a little slimey, but whatever.

At some point I decided to create a raised platform to set the fermenter on so I didn't have to remove it to transfer (it would float otherwise) and I used a small pump to bring water up to the towel and then it could drip back down into the bucket.

The pump thing worked better than just wicking. A lot.
  • C_BC_B
    Somehow this turned into HOW to ferment in 75* ambient temps not WHAT to ferment... Cool.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Somehow this turned into HOW to ferment in 75* ambient temps not WHAT to ferment... Cool.

Thr conversation goes where it pleases.

But really I think the "what" has been covered.
  • ceanntceannt
    yeah... what lake said....

I will summarize....
    Anything you pretty much want to (exept for a few styles that should really ferment on the cool side), as long as you do it right...
    or
    styles that are supposed to be fermented hot...

any more questions?
  • ceanntceannt
    ;)
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Thr conversation goes where it pleases.

But really I think the "what" has been covered.

In fact this isn't even your thread anymore. HA!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

lagers. do it.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

C_B said:

lagers. do it.

Yeah, just call them "extreme steam beers"

C_B
    And because nobody has said it yet, sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, maltotriose, and lactose(with properly equipped enzymatic function).
  • ThymThym

And because nobody has said it yet, sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, maltotriose, and lactose(with properly equipped enzymatic function).

Finally. I hate always having to be "that guy".
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Finally. I hate always having to be "that guy".

Pretty much ......
    I left out dextrose. I don't know the names of any of the longer chain sugars/starches that Brett can break down.
  • CZsCZs
    brew belt the shite outta a 75 ambient / possibly 80 degree ferment saison for a week (slight funk) to two weeks (more funkified) or if you wanna make some more bubble-gummy "painty dropping" german/belgian wheat strains

jlw
  • jlwjlw
    CZs said:

brew belt the shite outta a 75 ambient / possibly 80 degree ferment saison for a week (slight funk) to two weeks (more funkified) or if you wanna make some more bubble-gummy "painty dropping" german/belgian wheat strains

this for sure
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp410-belgian-wit-ii-ale-yeast?s=homebrew
    What do you think? It could easily end up at 80* ferm temp. Unless the weather is good enough to continue the jerry rigged ferm chamber as it is now.