Can I ferment this?
  • jlwjlw
    This stuff is tasty for me thinking about how I could turn this into a nice summer refreshment to get my wife drunk.

It can't taste like beer so What yeast would I want to use?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hellz yeah**. Now you're talking wine, brother! As long as it doesn't have sorbate, it will ferment. Because of the lemonade, you will want to use 71-b lalvin yeast. It will metabolize some of the acidity out of the lemon. Try to keep it cool while it ferments as best you can. toss in a little nutrient, shake the piss out of it and pitch the yeast. done and done.

**it probably won't taste as much like that beverage as you would like, but you should still do it. Backsweeten with stevia or something unfermentable until she likes it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that would be skeeter pee. you'll need a bit more sugar, and you'll have to backsweeten it or add some unfermentable sugar. my wife digs the batch that i made. i forgot to backsweeten, so mine just tastes exactly like lemonade without the sweet taste. you can always mix it with fresh juice or sweeten in the glass.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw

that would be skeeter pee. you'll need a bit more sugar, and you'll have to backsweeten it or add some unfermentable sugar. my wife digs the batch that i made. i forgot to backsweeten, so mine just tastes exactly like lemonade without the sweet taste. you can always mix it with fresh juice or sweeten in the glass.

hellz yeah**. Now you're talking wine, brother! As long as it doesn't have sorbate, it will ferment. Because of the lemonade, you will want to use 71-b lalvin yeast. It will metabolize some of the acidity out of the lemon. Try to keep it cool while it ferments as best you can. toss in a little nutrient, shake the piss out of it and pitch the yeast. done and done.

**it probably won't taste as much like that beverage as you would like, but you should still do it. Backsweeten with stevia or something unfermentable until she likes it.

Ok, this is all sounding interesting. Do you guys just make or buy 5 gallons of this stuff or something like it and then make a 5 gallon batch?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i make three gallon batches, because i have a 3 gallon better bottle for secondary.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    I make 5 gallon batches of everything.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I wouldn't waste my time on less than 10 gallons....if I had money to burn. Get a gallon of good cider in a glass jug. Good, now you have a mini test carboy good for .5-.75 gallon test batches.
    Sign here______________________________
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

I wouldn't waste my time on less than 10 gallons....if I had money to burn. Get a gallon of good cider in a glass jug. Good, now you have a mini test carboy good for .5-.75 gallon test batches.

and when you make it, and it's awesome after a year of age, you only have to wait another year to have more.....
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin

and when you make it, and it's awesome after a year of age, you only have to wait another year to have more.....

Yeah, you are gonna have to keep thumping me up side the head to get me to think like a winemaker.
    Sign here______________________________
  • C_BC_B

My wife used to drink that Carlos? wine (crap crap crap) That came in a 1.1 gallon jug. Perfect for little test batches.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt

but after it has aged for a year.... and it still sucks, you don't have to dump a 55-gal drum of it either.....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

but after it has aged for a year.... and it still sucks, you don't have to dump a 55-gal drum of it either.....

ahhhh...but wine is much more forgiving than beer. rarely is it ever bad. If it just tastes not right you can still adjust easily. If the flavor is funky, mix that shit with some sprite or soda water and drinky drinky. Very different than beer.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ahhhh...but wine is much more forgiving than beer. rarely is it ever bad. If it just tastes not right you can still adjust easily. If the flavor is funky, mix that shit with some sprite or soda water and drinky drinky. Very different than beer.

I'll take your word for it ....
  • ceanntceannt
    ... I always believed that bad is bad... I remember the banana wine my mother made long years ago....... good thing that experiment was only a gallon...
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt said:

... I always believed that bad is bad... I remember the banana wine my mother made long years ago....... good thing that experiment was only a gallon...

Just to put that epic disaster in perspective.... that was in 1972, and I still remember it clearly... and the godawfull smell still haunts my dreams....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Just to put that epic disaster in perspective.... that was in 1972, and I still remember it clearly... and the godawfull smell still haunts my dreams....

And you haven't posted the recipe yet!!!
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

And you haven't posted the recipe yet!!!

Not exactly sure what she did ..... but if you want to get close .... eat a bunch of bananas ... vomit into a bucket and let it sit on your kitchen counter for a week ...
    That should just about match the aroma

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    jlw said:

This stuff is tasty for me thinking about how I could turn this into a nice summer refreshment to get my wife drunk.

Add vodka. Done. Or Everclear if you really want to get her lit.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• jlwjlw
    DrCurly said:

jlw said:

Add vodka. Done. Or Everclear if you really want to get her lit.

Funny you mention this. I ran the idea of making wine out of this and she was like "all I need is vodka"
  • ThymThym
    Vodka makes everything more fun.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Wife got some of this .... I'm thinking half and half with Pusser's rum ... or tequila ...
  • ceanntceannt
    But i am not a fan of vodka
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Good vodka mixes great... It doesn't taste like anything
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Good vodka mixes great... It doesn't taste like anything

That would be why I don't like it .....