Barley Wine plan
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Sitting around with nothing to do, unable to brew, I decided to work on some recipes to try when I finally get to concoct sweet nectar again.
    This one is a Barley Wine, similar to one I brewed last year with some tweakage.

Anyways, would appreciate some input, or ideas.

Anticipated:
    Post Boil Volume - 3.25 gal
    OG - 1.096
    SRM - 30
    IBU - 69.8

Grist:
    7.0 lbs 2-row
    3.0 lbs Vienna
    1.0 lb Biscuit Malt
    0.5 lb Honey Malt
    0.5 lb Chocolate Wheat
    0.375 lb Flaked Barley

Hops:
    0.5 oz Columbus FWH
    0.25 oz Chinook 60min
    0.5 oz Columbus 15 min
    0.5 oz Northern Brewer 10min
    0.25 oz Willamette 5 min
    0.5 oz Willamette 0 min

Will probably go with WLP001 Cal Ale for the yeast.

Thanks!
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this would be a good opportunity to try my first Parti-gyle.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I think I might try the parti-gyle thing and add some pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and cocoa powder to the second runnings for a Chocolate Pumpkin Porter-like thing.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this would be a good opportunity to try my first Parti-gyle.

I've been wanting to give this a try. Haven't yet
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I think I might try the parti-gyle thing and add some pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and cocoa powder to the second runnings for a Chocolate Pumpkin Porter-like thing.

That sounds really good
  • ceanntceannt
    I like the idea of chocolate wheat in there.... good call
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i would say go bigger. at least for a barley wine. they should be monsters! like 13%, aged for a year or two. its called barley "wine" after all, kick it up there.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    How about something like this?

OG is anticipated at 1.118 @ 68% efficiency.
    The FG is anticipated at 1.030, but I am pretty positive I will get it lower than that.
    So, 12+% for the big half of this one.

9.0 lbs 2-row
    5.0 lbs Vienna
    1.0 lb Chocolate Wheat
    1.0 lb Biscuit Malt
    0.5 lb Honey Malt
    0.5 lb Flaked Barley
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, now you're talking!
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I did run into a slight complication while working this out.

I plan to have my five gallon MLT built and functioning by the time I brew this. I do not think I can conceivably mash 17 pounds of grain in a five gallon MLT without having my water/grist ratio somewhere ridiculously low.
    I think the best I will be able to do is 12.5lbs in about 3.75 gals for a ratio of 1.2 qt/lb
  • ceanntceannt
    Mash what you are comfortable with... and add enough extract late in the boil to get your gravity up where you want it
  • ceanntceannt
    Or ..... do what the old timers did and do a "double mash "
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

I did run into a slight complication while working this out.

I plan to have my five gallon MLT built and functioning by the time I brew this. I do not think I can conceivably mash 17 pounds of grain in a five gallon MLT without having my water/grist ratio somewhere ridiculously low.
    I think the best I will be able to do is 12.5lbs in about 3.75 gals for a ratio of 1.2 qt/lb

I can fit 16 lbs and 4 gallons in my 5 gallon MLT. Barely.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    If you go parti-gyle .... you only need to mash enough grain to get the calculated total batch up to 1.079......
    Your first runnings will be at your target of 1.118... the second and third runnings will be around 1.059.....
    Of course you will only end up with about a gallon and a half of barleywine ....
  • ceanntceannt
    But you also get the smaller beer too
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

If you go parti-gyle .... you only need to mash enough grain to get the calculated total batch up to 1.079......
    Your first runnings will be at your target of 1.118... the second and third runnings will be around 1.059.....
    Of course you will only end up with about a gallon and a half of barleywine ....

This may be blasphemy, but I think a gallon and half of barley wine is all I need!

C_B said:

I can fit 16 lbs and 4 gallons in my 5 gallon MLT. Barely.

Having never actually used a 5 gallon mash tun before, I wasn't sure how far I could push the "envelop" so to speak. If you have been able to to 16 lbs and 4 gallons then I will likely keep the recipe right there.

Thanks for the input from everyone!
  • C_BC_B
    The first time couple times I used this MLT for 10 gallon batches I planned on 1.25 qts/lb but calculated strike water temp on .9 qts/lb. I landed somewhere halfway between. Leave the lid off and stir a bit more to drop the temp. Done.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    As a 5gal mash tun user I'd recommend never going over 14lbs, and anything over 12 is a pain. But as Kent said: double mash!!! you can get some crazy high numbers. It's a long brew day, but brewing is fun. The one time I did it everything went wrong and it took me about 48hr (It was my third or forth brew, I was quite green). I still have a bottle of that batch. It was really good and did some amazing things with a few years time.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Evan_BEvan_B

As a 5gal mash tun user I'd recommend never going over 14lbs, and anything over 12 is a pain. But as Kent said: double mash!!! you can get some crazy high numbers. It's a long brew day, but brewing is fun. The one time I did it everything went wrong and it took me about 48hr (It was my third or forth brew, I was quite green). I still have a bottle of that batch. It was really good and did some amazing things with a few years time.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately with no brewing equipment and limited Internet usage. I came across something interesting as I am reading Brew Like a Monk, and started researching some Belgian-y stuff.

Turbid mash! Could it work? I don't think I was originally intended for barley wines, but it would be interesting to try, and the highest water/grist ratio you see in a turbid mash is like 0.6 qt/lb. with that ratio, one could use a pint jar as a mash tun, haha.
  • ceanntceannt
    biggest downfall with a turbid mash... at least for a homebrewer is they really should be stirred constantly... without a motorized mash tun, it can be a bit difficult to stir at all...
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

biggest downfall with a turbid mash... at least for a homebrewer is they really should be stirred constantly... without a motorized mash tun, it can be a bit difficult to stir at all...

Yes... But with a little creativity, a low speed drill motor from harbor frieght and a mortar mixer from the depot.....
  • ceanntceannt
    That'll work
  • ceanntceannt
    With a really thick mash ... the trick is to keep it moving ... slow but constant