Dry Rub Recipes
  • jlwjlw
    What's your go to recipe? I tend to throw something together that included brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and probably something I am forgetting about.

• ceanntceannt
    Cayenne
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I don't use brown sugar on ribs .... tends to burn .... turbinado works well
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... dry mustard too
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

What's your go to recipe? I tend to throw something together that included brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and probably something I am forgetting about.

ceannt said:

Cayenne

ceannt said:

Oh.... dry mustard too

pretty much this. i tend to change it up a little every time, but this is the basic idea.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    That is a legit link. I added a tiny bit of brown sugar and rubbed generously for the loins today. But that was after 24 ish hours in a salt/brown sugar brine. I hope I didn't overdo the brown sugar...
  • C_BC_B
    Beeteedubbs, don't google "chub rub".

Thym
  • scoobscoob
    I'm going to have to post my dry rub recipe, pretty basic, but I like the flavor a lot, its similar to jlw's list from my recollection. I just have to pull it from the recipe/cookbook box
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    C_B said:

That is a legit link. I added a tiny bit of brown sugar and rubbed generously for the loins today. But that was after 24 ish hours in a salt/brown sugar brine. I hope I didn't overdo the brown sugar...

Party done. The pork was a huge hit. I might try something different next time but this is a safe go to for sure.

Thym
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i use everything and anything. my sugar is usually honey though....because...well, you know, the bees and whatnot.
  • ThymThym
    im a simple man. i use a dry rub from smart and final called pappy's. it's yummy.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • CZsCZs
    paprika, black pepper, brown sugar

baste with butter, white vinegar, and rub mix- helps keep moist and marinading time down in my experience - no expert here just like it :)
  • ThymThym
    The dry rub really locks in moisture. Its phenominal.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

The dry rub really locks in moisture. Its phenominal.

and makes a nice smokey bark.
  • CZsCZs
    mmm, bark
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

mmm, bark

Yes, this.

I've really been nailing this recently. Perfect smokey, spicey bark. Deep smokey ring penetration into the meat.

• C_BC_B
    I need to smoke something Saturday. And maybe Sunday too. I need some smokey meat.
  • CZsCZs
    when you're not in front of the smoker, grill, pit, hearth, whatever your mood, I can say I've used my dehydrator for great jerkey pairings with beer

Made a Hickory Brown Sugar Beef jerkey that had a nice sweet glaze that you crunch through to get to the hickoryish beef - goes really well with any summer session
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

when you're not in front of the smoker, grill, pit, hearth, whatever your mood, I can say I've used my dehydrator for great jerkey pairings with beer

Made a Hickory Brown Sugar Beef jerkey that had a nice sweet glaze that you crunch through to get to the hickoryish beef - goes really well with any summer session

i havent picked up a dehydrator. but i should make a bunch of jerky in my vertical smoker.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

CZs said:

i havent picked up a dehydrator. but i should make a bunch of jerky in my vertical smoker.

toss a little fan in there and stick it in the sun. done and done.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and if you do, poach some pears to put in there as well. delicious.