Anybody grow their own tobacco?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Tobacco has been the cash crop around my area for sometime. RJR, Phillip Morris, heard of them? Yeah, local to me and where I grew up. A ride through the country around here winds you through corn or tobacco. A good friend's family farm grew tobacco. A former coworkers family grew tobacco. A good many people I know have primed tobacco. I think I want to put 2-4 plants in the ground myself. Thoughts?
    Sign here______________________________
  • C_BC_B
    Is that legal? I'm not even sure why it wouldn't be. Tax related I'm sure. But no, I have not grown my own. And thus am no help whatsoever.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
    I don't see why it would not be legal to grow. Selling it outside of a contract with a tobacco company may be a tax fraud.
  • jlwjlw
    I really don't know much. I think the key is more around the drying and maybe aging it.
    Yup, the leaves have to be picked as they ripen from bottom to top and dryed/cured/aged. I know there are at least 2 or 3 ways to dry it for cigarettes. I'm not sure the difference for pipe or cigar.

Honestly, it will be mostly decorative.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i looked into it a while ago. from what i read, it grows well almost everywhere.

the curing is pretty simple, but takes a bit of equipment (curing chamber)

i still plan on doing it, but not this year.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    oh, and perfectly legal. unless you're trying to sell it.
  • ThymThym

oh, and perfectly legal. unless you're trying to sell it.

Yes, this is my understanding as well.

I've though about growing it. But I just don't have much space for larger plants like that.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    Here's some history on my area for anyone that may be interested.

http://www.digitalforsyth.org/photos/stories/the-tobacco-industry
  • jlwjlw
    Speaking of illegal selling of cigarettes. My wife knows a family that owned tobacco stores. They got busted for selling on the black market. Looking at time in the federal pen.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Speaking of illegal selling of cigarettes. My wife knows a family that owned tobacco stores. They got busted for selling on the black market. Looking at time in the federal pen.

black market cigs? weird.
    Y'all got this all turned around. I ain't selling black market cigs. I don't even really know what I'd do with all of it. Provided I can cure it I'll have a lifetime supply of pipe tobacco after one year.
  • ThymThym

Y'all got this all turned around. I ain't selling black market cigs. I don't even really know what I'd do with all of it. Provided I can cure it I'll have a lifetime supply of pipe tobacco after one year.

seems like too much work to actually do all of that. but i can see the allure of growing a couple plants, and it would just be retarded to sell it, and you're not retarded.
    Lakewood said:

seems like too much work to actually do all of that. but i can see the allure of growing a couple plants, and it would just be retarded to sell it, and you're not retarded.

Exactly. Hey look, I grew tobacco! Now back to life as normal.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Exactly. Hey look, I grew tobacco! Now back to life as normal.

yup
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    this thread would be much more entertaining with some well placed quotation marks.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    "tobacco"
    Today I "found" some tobacco plants. I wish I knew the variety. They aren't "tobacco". I know that for sure.
  • ceanntceannt
    "tobacco" is much easier to grow... and doesn't strip all the nutrients out of the soil as bad... just sayin'
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    My great granddaddy use to grow "tobacco".... made rope and such from it ... there were still a few patches of the stuff on the farm when I was a kid ....
    Always kinda wondered if the old boy smoked it .....
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

My great granddaddy use to grow "tobacco".... made rope and such from it ... there were still a few patches of the stuff on the farm when I was a kid ....

probably not. not if it was the "tobacco" that made good rope. lots of farms used to grow it for that purpose, but it was not the smokeable variety.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

probably not. not if it was the "tobacco" that made good rope. lots of farms used to grow it for that purpose, but it was not the smokeable variety.

thats kinda what I thought...
    (one of my cousins used to uh... harvest some from the remnants... not sure how he did with that...)
    There they are.
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    woohoo!

are these intended for a cigarette type tobacco or a more heavily treated leaf such as a pipe variety?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    also, what variety?
    I feel sure they are Virginia. So cigarette or pipe depending on curing.
    Another from today for scale.
    image.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 494K
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I feel sure they are Virginia. So cigarette or pipe depending on curing.

curing is very similar. it's casing and topping that sets it apart.
  • ThymThym
    very cool. looks like they are growing well
  • ceanntceannt
    Cool .... so when do we get to see the drying shed build thread?
    ceannt said:

Cool .... so when do we get to see the drying shed build thread?

You mean garage then attic?
  • ceanntceannt
    Ha! .... figured you would do one of them open slat guys like the big boys used to ...
    No comment.
    Oh crap, planting season is over. I just had a guy text me to tell me there are LOTS of plants left over. I think I have a whole flat to pick up. I think a flat is 2 gross. What am I gonna do with all of that??? Seasonal privacy fence? Sure would keep the neighborhood kids out.
  • ThymThym

Oh crap, planting season is over. I just had a guy text me to tell me there are LOTS of plants left over. I think I have a whole flat to pick up. I think a flat is 2 gross. What am I gonna do with all of that??? Seasonal privacy fence? Sure would keep the neighborhood kids out.

i guess you'll need a drying shack.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

i guess you'll need a drying shack.

See ...