Hot Pepper Beer
  • jlwjlw
    I've been thinking about making some sort of a hot pepper beer for about a year or so now. Thought I would throw it out there for a complete design and construction of a recipe. The initial post may be a little random as I think of questions or ideas.

To kick things off here are some initial thoughts.

I think a sweeter IPA with a maltier back bone might be best to balance the pepper's

I usually grow habanera’s, jalapeno's, sweet bell's and maybe some sort of a cayenne
    For hops I need to do some research

Also I need to figure out what techniques do I use to extract the flavor out of the peppers. So do we throw them in the boil and if so when? Do I throw them in secondary or late in primary. Do I use a puree or diced or whole. What about in the first wort?

What a bout yeast? Typical S-05 or do I go toward a Belgian yeast for something different.

Also what about grains and malts. What about using rye and a little chocolate malt? I could use a base similar to my black ale which is hoppy but could really balance the peppers.
    More to come...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Here's what i can say after having brewed a pepper beer that turned out all wrong:

The one's i've seen at the beer shop have all been pilsner-ish type of beers as a base, so i started out with a blonde ale and added peppers in secondary. To me, the light flavor of the blonde/pils type beers isn't enough to temper the heat of the peppers. I think you're on the right track with a maltier back bone. I can see this working well as a malty ipa or even a hoppier porter.

I used some dried peppers tossed into the secondary, so I couldn't say when the best time to add them would be. I can say that the pepper flavor was almost absent in my beer, while the heat was too strong to be enjoyable. It's like a normal/crappy blonde ale with a spicy aftertaste that's just too intense for a beverage.

If i were to use peppers again, I would use ones that are much milder in heat than I would use for cooking. Maybe a blend of sweet bells and jalapeno, but more of the former.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    There is a Virginia brewery that made a pepper beer I tried maybe two years ago and it was decent. I need to figure out which one and I might be able to get some advice.

I wonder if putting in the boil with say 15 to go would also work.

I like the idea of a blend of sweet bell's and maybe jalapeno or banana peppers.
  • ceanntceannt
    I use fresh peppers, out of my garden if I can. I slice them in half long-ways, and roast them in the oven at 350 degrees until they start to blacken around the edges. I have had very good luck with them in the boil with 15-minutes remaining. I have also "dry peppered"..... I even soaked some in Tequila for three weeks, and added the liquor a week before bottling. But it seems to me that the boil is best. The roasting seems to be the secret.
    The malty background is the way to go.... balance is key.
    Jalapenos are great, cayennes are good too. I really like the Red Fresno peppers, great combination of heat and flavor. I haven't tried the Habeneros..... might be easy to "overshoot"....
    Really interested in how all this works in a hoppy beer!
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Now that ceannt mentioned it, roasting first sounds like a great idea.

What hops are you considering for this?
  • jlwjlw
    Don't know yet on hops. I open to suggestions. Plus I need to do some more reading on hop descriptions.
  • ceanntceannt
    I would be tempted to go easy on bittering additions..... and unload on late addition hops....
    I would think that something fairly "bright" (if that makes any sense) would go best... I would stay away from something heavy or resiney or earthy....... ????????
  • ceanntceannt
    I was thinking about this last night..... and keep coming back to cascades...

You now have me wanting to try a batch..... like I didn't have enough things I want to do......
  • jlwjlw
    I like cascade I was also thinking about Citra becuase of the fruit characteristics:

Citra Alpha 13.4 A new 2009 release, previously unavailable. This hop was hybridized by Sierra Nevada and Widmer and has very strong tropical fruit, papaya, mango fruity overtones, Very popular and sought-after. Northwest or American-style IPA's, pale ales or any hoppy style where strong hoopy flavors are desired
  • jlwjlw
    Ok, Citra combined with a touch of jalapeno. If you get the mango and jalapeno it would be like mango salsa or at least that combo if you follow me.
  • ceanntceannt
    That would work..... Amarillo came to mind too.... but I'm liking the Citra idea.
  • ceanntceannt
    hhhmmmmm.... maybe later in the summer, we could both do a batch, with a little different focus... and share with each other....
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

That would work..... Amarillo came to mind too.... but I'm liking the Citra idea.

Yes, Amarillo also came to mind for as well.

ceannt said:

hhhmmmmm.... maybe later in the summer, we could both do a batch, with a little different focus... and share with each other....

That sounds like a good idea. I was going to wait until I can pick the peppers fresh from my garden.

A swap would be cool to see the different variations of what we could do. I still need to try and remember what brewry I sampled that one time.
  • ceanntceannt
    Sweet.... sounds like a plan.
    Give me a little advance notice, so we can brew around the same time.......
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Sweet.... sounds like a plan.
    Give me a little advance notice, so we can brew around the same time.......

I wanted to start this early so I/we had a lot of time to think through the beer and brew day and techniques.
  • ceanntceannt
    Works for me.
  • ceanntceannt
    My recipe is ready....... :)
    Give me about a month lead time.... so I don't brew something else and screw up the timing.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    don't forget pictures. :-bd
  • ThymThym
    I'm interested on what impacts the balance between flavor and heat extraction.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Did you guys brew this? Second round of our Iron Brewer and I drew peppers, one each jalapeño, habanero and chili. Only going to have six weeks from brew to comp.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Did you guys brew this? Second round of our Iron Brewer and I drew peppers, one each jalapeño, habanero and chili. Only going to have six weeks from brew to comp.

have you decided what kind of a flavor palate you are looking for? do you know if the people judging it are heat freaks or are they more moderate in their expectations?

if they are into heat you could just shoot for melt your face type pepper beer, but if they aren't really heat seekers, you might go for a mild beer, with a lot of pepper flavors, but cut the heat.

something like a cerveza style lager with some de-seeded, fire roasted peppers dropped into the primary would give you a good flavor without much heat. in most circles that would be a winner. but for a group that is looking to poop blood after drinking your lava beer, you might want to take the seeds and grind them up before dropping them in the wort during the boil.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

You might want to take the seeds and grind them up before dropping them in the wort during the boil.

I don't want to live in a world where this is a thing.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    good work with the quote manipulation there c-diddle
  • C_BC_B
    What the hell?
    Fail.
  • C_BC_B
    Fixed.
  • ThymThym
    better.

it's a thing. i just made it a thing.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

have you decided what kind of a flavor palate you are looking for? do you know if the people judging it are heat freaks or are they more moderate in their expectations?

if they are into heat you could just shoot for melt your face type pepper beer, but if they aren't really heat seekers, you might go for a mild beer, with a lot of pepper flavors, but cut the heat.

something like a cerveza style lager with some de-seeded, fire roasted peppers dropped into the primary would give you a good flavor without much heat. in most circles that would be a winner. but for a group that is looking to poop blood after drinking your lava beer, you might want to take the seeds and grind them up before dropping them in the wort during the boil.

Tough call, I'm going head to head, so basically just has to be better than the other. With only about 6 weeks I don't have a lot of time. I'm thinking about a spicy saison maybe. What about mango habanero saison? I love mango habanero salsa, some saison spice, ferment warm, seems to go together. I think I'd like to keep the heat manageable. No Ghost Face Killer, but I want to be able to taste it and say, yea, there's pepper in there. Could I get the sweetness from the saison yeast and mangoes to balance the peppers?
  • jlwjlw
    I have not yet made this beer. I need to do it this year though. Although I was thinking more of a black ipa stype to get some of the roasty, chocolate notes to balance out the peppers.

If I can get the ghost peppers to grow I will brew something like a chocolate stout to balance.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I have not yet made this beer. I need to do it this year though. Although I was thinking more of a black ipa stype to get some of the roasty, chocolate notes to balance out the peppers.

If I can get the ghost peppers to grow I will brew something like a chocolate stout to balance.

@benvarine, i just had a mole stout not too long ago. it was good. Are you limited to just the peppers or could you add other stuff in there?

A nice rich stout, with some fire roasted peppers/chiles and a little brown mole for that unique sorta chocolaty sorta not flavor it has and bam. winner.
  • jlwjlw
    Recently one of the local breweries released this Chocolate Heat beer. Brewery name is Hardywood and they make some fantastic beers including this one. It's very well balanced, you know the pepper is there but it doesn't overwhelm.

I bet if you contacted them they would help you think about how to use the peppers.

http://www.hardywood.com/content/hardywood-chocolate-heat

• BenvarineBenvarine
    Ill check it out, but I keep getting hung up on a bigger beer needing more time to condition. Do you think I can turn out a stout in 6 weeks from boil to glass?

I'm not restricted to any style or additional ingredients, just need to include at least some of what I was given.

I searched online and see some brewery has a mango habanero IPA. Weird. But weird and drinkable will win this thing.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Ill check it out, but I keep getting hung up on a bigger beer needing more time to condition. Do you think I can turn out a stout in 6 weeks from boil to glass?

I'm not restricted to any style or additional ingredients, just need to include at least some of what I was given.

I searched online and see some brewery has a mango habanero IPA. Weird. But weird and drinkable will win this thing.

my stout recipe is. as long as you don't go too overboard on the heavily roasted grains, or make the avb too high, it'll be just fine that young.
  • jlwjlw
    If you go with an mango habanero beer I think you would want a very simple grain bill so the flavors come through. What a bout a hefe? Mine is 3 weeks grain to glass.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

If you go with an mango habanero beer I think you would want a very simple grain bill so the flavors come through. What a bout a hefe? Mine is 3 weeks grain to glass.

i'd probably prefer a mango habby hefe over an ipa. spicy and bitter doesn't appeal well to me, but a spicy/fruity hefe sounds tasty.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Like a hot banana. Another pair has a banana, and they will probably do a heff. What about a belgian, some fruity esters there might compliment the heat. Belgians are pretty simple grain bill right?
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Like a hot banana. Another pair has a banana, and they will probably do a heff. What about a belgian, some fruity esters there might compliment the heat. Belgians are pretty simple grain bill right?

Belgians are pretty much all over the map in terms of style, but yeah the grain bills tend to be pretty straightforward. Problem is they usually involve long aging, even the particularly smallish beers benifit from a bit of age due to the yeast character. The only major exception to that is a Belgian Witbier. Which is totaly different from what you were talking about.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Belgians are pretty much all over the map in terms of style, but yeah the grain bills tend to be pretty straightforward. Problem is they usually involve long aging, even the particularly smallish beers benifit from a bit of age due to the yeast character. The only major exception to that is a Belgian Witbier. Which is totaly different from what you were talking about.

yeah, this.
  • ceanntceannt
    How about a simple amber with an apv in the 5% range
    just pale malt ... a little munich and a touch of dark crystal .... low on hops .. maybe bittering addition only
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    That doesn't sound like our group. Simple? Easy? I'm up for quick but crazy. I'm still liking a spicy chocolate milk stout, IPA or saison. You guys haven't said much about the saison and I've never brewed one. I also heard discouraging words about the IPA, but @frydogbrews hasn't chimed in yet. Leaves me wondering if the stout isn't the way to go.
  • jlwjlw
    Well as far as saisons go.... I love them and have brewed two different styles. Black saison and what i call a traditional summer saison. The cool thing about a siason is becuase of the history you can be kind wild with the ingredients. I think my worry with the si=ummer saison is would be the peppers could overwhelm.

The black saison could have enoough malt backbone with some fruitiness and funk that help balance. I posted a artical here a long time ago about different styles of saisons with recipes that could be the trick. The turn time on a saison can also be quick.
  • jlwjlw
    @benvarine check out this recipe and more importantly check out the attached artical.

http://www.homebrewforums.net/discussion/53#Item_1
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

That doesn't sound like our group. Simple? Easy? I'm up for quick but crazy. I'm still liking a spicy chocolate milk stout, IPA or saison. You guys haven't said much about the saison and I've never brewed one. I also heard discouraging words about the IPA, but @frydogbrews hasn't chimed in yet. Leaves me wondering if the stout isn't the way to go.

i've only brewed one soysoon, so far. it could work ok, but i feel like the peppers would overpower any of the saison-y flavor.

plus, i love stout.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    7.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.22 %
    1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
    1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
    1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
    0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
    0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
    0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
    1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
    1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
    17.60 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Found this online. Left hand milk stout recipe. Maybe add cocoa to the end of boil along with peppers.

Thoughts?
  • jlwjlw
    Sounds tasty. You could add the cocoa at the end or nibs during secondary. I wonder though when the peppers would be best utilized.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I might be pressed for secondary. How much nibs and can I add in boil? I have heard add peppers to boil, but just from web searching.
  • ThymThym
    I agree with going the stout direction on this one. The saison will take more time than you have to develop a mature flavor profile especially if you use something with brett or another wild bug.

My money would be on going one of these two routes:
    Hell Fire Stout
    Or
    Pepper Blonde

Hell fire stout would be an all out assault on the senses. As hot as you can stand to make it, backed with lots of roasty grain and a touch of malty sweetness to keep you drinking long after you should have called 911.

Pepper Blonde would be a light bodied beer with a hint of spice and lots of roasty pepper flavors.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

I agree with going the stout direction on this one. The saison will take more time than you have to develop a mature flavor profile especially if you use something with brett or another wild bug.

My money would be on going one of these two routes:
    Hell Fire Stout
    Or
    Pepper Blonde

Hell fire stout would be an all out assault on the senses. As hot as you can stand to make it, backed with lots of roasty grain and a touch of malty sweetness to keep you drinking long after you should have called 911.

Pepper Blonde would be a light bodied beer with a hint of spice and lots of roasty pepper flavors.

this, but backwards.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

7.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.22 %
    1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
    1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
    1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
    0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
    0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
    0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
    1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
    1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
    17.60 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Found this online. Left hand milk stout recipe. Maybe add cocoa to the end of boil along with peppers.

Thoughts?

first, roast the peppers. then chop and toss in with the lactose.

I like the left hand milk stout, but it doesn't have enough of a roasty character for my tastes. I'd say add a little smoked malt, maybe a few chipotle peppers accentuate it. I'd sub out some debittered black malt for the roasted barley, given the shorter aging timeframe.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    So tame stout and nuclear blonde.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

So tame stout and nuclear blonde.

yup.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    a little bit of heat with the stout and some nice pepper flavor to accentuate all that malt character.

• FuzzyFuzzy
    the blonde can be as hot as you want. it's more of a novelty beer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    which i'm not a fan of.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Blondes or novelty beers?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

both.
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

both.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

the blonde can be as hot as you want. it's more of a novelty beer.

in other words, if you're going to brew a burn your nose hairs off beer, where the heat masks all the beer flavor, there's not much point in having a lot of beer type flavors there to cover up.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

That doesn't sound like our group. Simple? Easy? I'm up for quick but crazy. I'm still liking a spicy chocolate milk stout, IPA or saison. You guys haven't said much about the saison and I've never brewed one. I also heard discouraging words about the IPA, but frydogbrews hasn't chimed in yet. Leaves me wondering if the stout isn't the way to go.

it's because of two reasons:
    1: i'm really really drunk.
    2:hot pepper beers suck goat nuts and are never ever good. ever.
  • ThymThym
    A nuclear blonde would be pure novelty and have no chance of being drinkable. Backing up the heat with a bunch of malt and flavor it has a chance of being considered good.

The taste of roasted chili isn't something I would fine appealing in an already flavorful semi sweet stout. I don't think it would woo anyone. But a light backbone with some roasted chili forward notes could actually be good. Keep the base beer clean, almost lager-like, and add a touch of heat and chili and I bet a lot of people may actually enjoy it.

Either way, you drew the short straw on this one. Chili beer aint my thing.

@hamelbrews2 ---you care to weigh in? I know you've made a chili beer before.
  • ceanntceannt
    I did a Blonde Ale with jalepenos once..... not enough malt flavor to balance... very one dimensional...
    The Amber with the Red Fresno Peppers was spectacular... I smoked some of the malt over hickory... best beer ever paired with seafood like crabs or steamed shrimp.
  • I made a raspberry habanero stout a while back. 5 gallon imperial stout with four pounds of raspberries and two quartered habaneros added to the last fifteen minutes of the boil.

It made for a delicious raspberry stout with a hint of pepper if you really thought about it. I would use more habanero a next time for a more prominent heat.
  • jlwjlw

I made a raspberry habanero stout a while back. 5 gallon imperial stout with four pounds of raspberries and two quartered habaneros added to the last fifteen minutes of the boil.

It made for a delicious raspberry stout with a hint of pepper if you really thought about it. I would use more habanero a next time for a more prominent heat.

@hamelbrews2 this is really good context on when and how much.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    So I brewed mine this weekend, added 1 jalapeño, one habanero and one Serrano pepper. I deseeded and chopped up to add in last 10 min. After I emptied to carboy and took a hydrometer sample I tasted to test heat. Basically nothing. Looking for suggestions on adding heat at this time. Habanero in vodka to extract heat and add to fermentor? Just chop and dump in?
  • ceanntceannt
    Benvarine said:

So I brewed mine this weekend, added 1 jalapeño, one habanero and one Serrano pepper. I deseeded and chopped up to add in last 10 min. After I emptied to carboy and took a hydrometer sample I tasted to test heat. Basically nothing. Looking for suggestions on adding heat at this time. Habanero in vodka to extract heat and add to fermentor? Just chop and dump in?

Did you roast them first????

If you deseeded... you also won't get as much heat...

Slice a few in half, roast until the edges turn black, and soak in vodka for a week or two, then add before you bottle/keg
  • jlwjlw
    I tried a beer the other day while at dinner. It was a hot pepper lager. It was pretty good and one thing they did was add a pepper to each bottle.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I did not roast or leave in seeds. I was worried about too much heat with seeds. I forgot about the roasting recommendation. I'll try that. So, I still deseed right? But roast and soak.
  • ceanntceannt
    Benvarine said:

I did not roast or leave in seeds. I was worried about too much heat with seeds. I forgot about the roasting recommendation. I'll try that. So, I still deseed right? But roast and soak.

If you want heat ....leave the seeds
    roast and soak ...yes