Corona grain mill "build"
  • C_BC_B
    Here's the mill naked.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    This is with the bag over it in place of FZ's grain bag idea. Worked great.
    IMAG0884.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 368K
  • C_BC_B
    This isn't really a build so to speak, more of a modification. I would like a larger hopper, but that isn't crucial. What it really needs is a shield of some type around the grind plates to direct the grain to the proper location. I might even just do FZ's grain bag idea. The white bag worked great.
  • C_BC_B
    I forgot to take a picture of the crush. It wasn't bad. I was worried it would be to fine, but I didn't have any problems with a stuck mash even with 2 pounds of oats.
  • ThymThym
    very cool. i'd like to see a pic of the crush
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

very cool. i'd like to see a pic of the crush

I kept telling myself to take one. Oups.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Here's the mill naked.

scandalous!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I have a Victoria mill. It looks like it came out of the same factory as the coronas. Mine came with a little black plastic cap to cover the top half of the grinding plates. It helps but the plates will still sling some grain to the side when turning it with a drill.
    Sign here______________________________
  • LothosLothos
    C_dubbs said:

Here's the mill naked.

huh huh he said naked
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B

I have a Victoria mill. It looks like it came out of the same factory as the coronas. Mine came with a little black plastic cap to cover the top half of the grinding plates. It helps but the plates will still sling some grain to the side when turning it with a drill.

On that note... I need to fix up a bolt or something so I can use a drill. 16 lbs of grain by hand suuuuucked. Luckily the wife jumped in without asking and did a third of it.
  • LothosLothos
    good for her
    Ain't that a Bitch
    C_dubbs said:

On that note... I need to fix up a bolt or something so I can use a drill. 16 lbs of grain by hand suuuuucked. Luckily the wife jumped in without asking and did a third of it.

It's that easy, a bolt. I think 5/16" NC. Get a nut or two and maybe a washer as well. Put the nut(s) on the bolt before screwing it in the mill shaft. Back the bolt out a half round or so from bottomed out and run the nut up to the mill shaft to lock it in place. That gives you an easy way to pull the bolt back out should you want to hand crank again later.
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

just a 1/3? she could have done more.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

She was too busy cleaning up the grain that was on the floor from Lucas grabbing the cup that she left within his reach. It was all pretty funny.
  • ThymThym
    I got about 10lbs into 27 of my first use of my 2-roller mill before I said "neva agin!" And hooked up the drill motor.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

She was too busy cleaning up the grain that was on the floor from Lucas grabbing the cup that she left within his reach. It was all pretty funny.

yup. tends to happen.

i usually give my son a little bowl of grain to snack on so he keeps his hands away from the mill.
  • ceanntceannt
    I have been kicking around the idea of getting a mill for a good long while ....
    just can't make up my mind over a corona ... or just shell out the bucks for a barley crusher
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
    ceannt said:

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a mill for a good long while ....
    just can't make up my mind over a corona ... or just shell out the bucks for a barley crusher

Do what I did. Buy a corona first and then upgrade.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Do what I did. Buy a corona first and then upgrade.

I've thought of that too
    I've used my corona mill since I've gotten my MM3. I've ground roasted malt to powder for a stout, I know. I've also run wheat through it for flour.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I've used my corona mill since I've gotten my MM3. I've ground roasted malt to powder for a stout, I know. I've also run wheat through it for flour.

that's why i want one. wheat, rye, corn. those are all a pain on my mill.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

So far I like it. With proper grain conditioning I should be able to get a better crush. It wasn't bad, but there seemed to be a fine line between powder and not crushing everything. Using a guard that allows me to access the adjustment screw instead of a bad will help too.
  • ceanntceannt
    I've heard that they can be a bit finicky
  • ceanntceannt
    I have also heard of some excellent results ........
    I kinda have my eye on the DIY malt mill on AHS
  • ThymThym
    i've got one of these http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm

it's less expensive than some of the other roller mills out there, but works very well. it has a gear drive so both rollers are driven, unlike some of the really cheap offerings out there. highly adjustable crush gap, and unless your 3yo comes out to help you on brew day, the gap adjustment is solid and does not wander on you.
  • ceanntceannt
    Yep ... that's the one I be lookin' at
  • ceanntceannt
    I figure the hopper and base can't be all that hard to fabricate
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

I figure the hopper and base can't be all that hard to fabricate

They are very simple.